UNC Postgame

Declinometer

Banned
A high school guard could handle Hunt on his own right now. No hustle at all from our front outside of Gotsis. Freeman isn't playing as well as advertised. Think he could be good, but at the moment he's not close to an Attouchu, Derrick Morgan type.

Hunt was bad at LB and about the same at DT

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Agee MM should get playing, He is a difference maker. Just as we saw MLD will be one. These guys need to be on the field.
Some will not like what I say here but our season changed last year when laskey got hurt and days started playing. He could get to the second level. Skov is a great kid and should play just not 95% of the time. We need the guys who can score a td or at least break off a 20'yd run getting touches.
I agree a least put MM at A-back.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Jabari was an All American..................................................................................based on hype.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
This game was ours to win. There were so many ways we could have won that one, but couldn't make any of them happen. It is unfortunate, but the current identity of this team is one that doesn't make the plays needed to win when they are there to make. It CAN be changed, but currently, that is our identity. It is who we are. We own it.

It is interesting to compare the start of '14 with the start of '15. I agree we are not making the plays. There are other things going on as well:

1) NO BAILOUT OPTIONS at WR/AB to extend drives. In '14 our offense started off pretty poorly but had some good bailout receiving options at AB and WR that we don't have in 2015. Recall in 2014 we had to pull feces out of our rectum to beat VT (4th & 15 TD pass to Smelter) and Georgia Southern (miracle fumble followed by great JT/Deon Hill individual effort). Losing 2 NFL draft-choice WRs plus a bunch of senior A backs and Andrews hurts....plus injuries to Summers and Searcy.

2) BEATING OURSELVES ON STs: At ND we couldn't punt or kick a field goal to save our life. At Duke we give up 3 TDs on 2 returns and snapping over the punter's head. Another snap misadventure vs. UNC gave them a TD. Also missing assignments on key offensive plays.

3) INJURIES: Gamble out 2 games in a row, plus a host of offensive players at our thinnest, least experienced positions.

Despite all this our offense is showing some signs of improvement and our defense when Gamble and Gotsis are playing is pretty decent. To really be Georgia Tech we have to be able to get 3rd and 4th and short pretty consistently. Right now we can't.

Clean up the ST mistakes and missed assignments and we could be 4-1 right now and 2-0 in the Coastal with head-to-head wins vs division rivals.

We just have to work to get better. The mistakes are fixable, and we can play better. I am excited by a lot of the young guys playing that we've seen. I think the future can be very bright for us. Just gotta do the work.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I'm a firm believer that we can still have the same team that we had last year, CPJ is a sound coach when the players are effective. JT is still a great QB, but he doesn't have the same help that he had last year. This loss sucks, because he had the game pretty much in the bag, hoping the staff can get this turned around, one more loss and we might be done for the season

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This game is on JT and CPJ. Can't blame the defense when you lose your top 2 DT's. You pretty much know everyone else sucks ahead of time. The QB sneaks at the goal line were frustrating but #1 we should've never went for the 4th and 5 that the refs bailed us out on. You're up 28-24 you kick the damn FG. We lucked out and got the ball back at the 35 and JT makes a boneheaded play and fumbles. It was 1st down you can easily live to play another 2 downs there. If we kick the damn FG it gives us some momentum and leeway to let them score.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
This game is on JT and CPJ. Can't blame the defense when you lose your top 2 DT's. You pretty much know everyone else sucks ahead of time. The QB sneaks at the goal line were frustrating but #1 we should've never went for the 4th and 5 that the refs bailed us out on. You're up 28-24 you kick the damn FG. We lucked out and got the ball back at the 35 and JT makes a boneheaded play and fumbles. It was 1st down you can easily live to play another 2 downs there. If we kick the damn FG it gives us some momentum and leeway to let them score.
It wasn't a boneheaded play (beyond missing the dive read, anyway, Skov had 6-7 there), he was switching the ball to his pitch hand and got hit.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Yeah D was lights out till those two TDs late in the 2nd. I will agree that it seems when things start to break down on the offense JT tries to do too much. Still not sure why we didn't go for that FG attempt. Part of that to me seems like frustration leading to bad play calling

Congratulations baby you are the smartest man since John Heisman in dealing with GT FOOTBALL.
He isn't smart, but he is hurting--like the majority of the rest of us. Georgia Tech football is important to us. And we don't need our team to be 11-3 all the time for it to be enjoyable. But the team we saw yesterday is back to the same ridiculous, error prone football that we have seen for most of Paul Johnson's tenure. It will be a miracle--an absolute miracle--if we don't eclipse his worst record thus far of 6-7. We have lost three in a row with some of our toughest games coming up. One of the longest bowl streaks in Division I is about to end. I know this board punishes negativity, but the fact is Paul Johnson was about to be let go had he not caught lightning in a bottle last fall. We all now know that 11 wins is always going to be a rarity for us. But in our conference, given that we get two cupcakes a year, we should never be below .500. Never.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
A few quick thoughts:
  1. Our primary A backs today were 1 True Freshman making his 1st start (and he made several true freshman mistakes to go with some good plays), 2 walk ons, and 1 other RS Fresh. .
I tweeted something similar yesterday:

At what point do injuries become a valid excuse, particularly when we're one or two plays away from winning? I don't know the answer and am still forming an opinion. CPJ and the players aren't offering injuries as an excuse, though clearly they can't acknowledge that publicly.

There is an obvious lack of AB speed right now without Snoddy, Searcy, and T. Marshall. Throw in Cottrell if the indications are correct that he was the top true frosh AB. To overlook this drop-off, entirely due to injuries, is doing your own perspective a disservice in my opinion.

Our current AB rotation is a bunch of guys who weren't going to play meaningful minutes. Now look at yesterday's game. I counted a number of plays where I'm used to seeing guys accelerate thru a well-blocked hole on the perimeter only to see UNC's LBs and DBs get the angle in pursuit.

A few have called out the failed wheel route to Lynch - high risk, high reward no doubt. I won't give an opinion on the call because I'm still conflicted - just wish we ran on 1st down and tried that on 2nd.

The proportion of anger toward the offense seems a bit over the top relative to the other phases. Not saying they were perfect, nor was every play call in hindsight, but at least they showed clear improvement this week.