UNC 2024 Post Game

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
You would think after yesterday, that Collins might still be on our payroll. He sure did and still does love beating UNC

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Sorry if i missed the discussion of this but did anyone else think the fumble by UNC on the goal-line that the refs ignored was a BS call? The rb was still fighting to score when the ball came out and i guarantee you that if he had broken free and scored it would have counted, typical ACC-UNC home-cooking bs
Depends on the whistle. We couldn’t hear the whistle through the TV. If they blew the whistle before the fumble, then it is what it is. Often times the players are still pushing and pulling after the whistle has blown.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yes, you do not see chat comments from people you have on ignore.

Chat is emotional spew of consciousness.

“Emotional spew of consciousness” is a great phrase!

real housewives of orange county whoop GIF

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If ifs and buts...even with King playing the way he was we should have won by 3 scores.

Perhaps, but we just don't seem to do much in the way of outcoaching our opponent, and we do get outcoached somewhat regularly. Maybe the improving talent we are bringing in will cover the coaching mistakes, or maybe the coaching will improve and Key will make better in-game decisions as he gets more experience. I do wonder how much he has other coaches like GOL, Saban, CPJ, etc mentoring/talking to him about the decisions he makes in games and where he could improve and why. Hopefully a lot.

Being unable to mash the pedal I think is where I have the most issue. Gailey did this a lot - get ahead by a little bit and then go super conservative to try and finish the game out. It lets the other team back into the game a whole lot of the time. For most of the 4th quarter we refused to let Pyron run the actual offense for some yet to be explained reason, and put the defense in prevent, when we could have dealt a knockout blow.

Idk, the best job of outcoaching I've seen CBK/CBF do was against uga last year. Maybe they are intentionally making us look super conservative and boring af all season to unload everything on them again this year.
Fair points and criticism of CBK.
I would counter that in most games, CBK has faced coaches with vastly more experience, including the Hall of Famer he just beat (the exception being 'Cuse). He's still learning and admits to some of his and his assistants' errors ("playing in a phone booth"), so as long as he continues improving I am willing to give him a pass. I don't think the tendencies you have described are necessarily ingrained.

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
They literally never led in this game.

So what you're saying is they found the most effective way to not win? Last time I researched it, this was found to be a 100% reliable way to not win games. At risk of treading on a licensed trademark... #Still100%.

To be clear, I'm not agreeing with the font you're engaged with. This is just my typical attempt at sarcastic humor. I tend to agree with those that say we managed to win a game without our best effort which is a refreshing change. Good teams have to do that on occasion. I'll take the win over the let-down loss any time. 5-2, baby.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
If ifs and buts...even with King playing the way he was we should have won by 3 scores.

Perhaps, but we just don't seem to do much in the way of outcoaching our opponent, and we do get outcoached somewhat regularly. Maybe the improving talent we are bringing in will cover the coaching mistakes, or maybe the coaching will improve and Key will make better in-game decisions as he gets more experience. I do wonder how much he has other coaches like GOL, Saban, CPJ, etc mentoring/talking to him about the decisions he makes in games and where he could improve and why. Hopefully a lot.

Being unable to mash the pedal I think is where I have the most issue. Gailey did this a lot - get ahead by a little bit and then go super conservative to try and finish the game out. It lets the other team back into the game a whole lot of the time. For most of the 4th quarter we refused to let Pyron run the actual offense for some yet to be explained reason, and put the defense in prevent, when we could have dealt a knockout blow.

Idk, the best job of outcoaching I've seen CBK/CBF do was against uga last year. Maybe they are intentionally making us look super conservative and boring af all season to unload everything on them again this year.
So coming up with schemes to get our running game to have 371 yards isn't out coaching an opponent? Just because the win doesn't look the way in which you would like doesn't mean the coaching isn't effective and working. The staff outcoached Duke last week and FSU at the beginning of the season. Getting the lead for a good portion of the UNC game takes some form of out coaching and game planning. Im not saying the staff has been perfect, but saying that they get out coached regularly when they are 5-2 is a stretch. Were you saying the same in 2014?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
UNC did not mail it after 3 bad losses to their credit. I wonder if yesterday’s loss will be the final nail in that particular coffin. Everyone talks about how well they recruit but I didn’t see many ( if any) guys on their roster that were an upgrade over anyone on our squad. Their running back being the sole exception. He would be welcome on anybody’s roster.

Also it may have been mentioned already but our DL showed significant improvement over previous games.
Their TE Kopenhaver is someone I’d like to have. I only saw him a couple of times yesterday but for the past two seasons he got plenty of attention. Maybe he’s been hurt this year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
So coming up with schemes to get our running game to have 371 yards isn't out coaching an opponent? Just because the win doesn't look the way in which you would like doesn't mean the coaching isn't effective and working. The staff outcoached Duke last week and FSU at the beginning of the season. Getting the lead for a good portion of the UNC game takes some form of out coaching and game planning. Im not saying the staff has been perfect, but saying that they get out coached regularly when they are 5-2 is a stretch. Were you saying the same in 2014?

He probably was I remember a lot of people thinking CPJ was getting out coached the the game had passed him by.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Key’s record as a permanent head coach is 12-7. Perhaps he was outcoached in a few of those 19 games. But I’ll take getting outcoached and winning over being the outcoacher and losing, any day.

Add "being outcoached" to "winning by 3 scores" and "style points" to the list of things that really don't matter if you win.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The game was not passing him by, the rules of the game were changing.
What is the difference? Was he able to adapt to the changing rules? Seems like he simply didn't want to invest into changing and had a stellar coaching career already. He made a smart rational decision to leave coaching. NIL and the Transfer Portal would have driven CPJ nuts!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Running the qb for 110 yds is not a safe plan for the health of qb who is best qb in acc.

But King wants to win and will take the risk.

Last edited:

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Key’s record as a permanent head coach is 12-7. Perhaps he was outcoached in a few of those 19 games. But I’ll take getting outcoached and winning over being the outcoacher and losing, any day.

Add "being outcoached" to "winning by 3 scores" and "style points" to the list of things that really don't matter if you win.
12-8 but I get your point.

If we go 3-3 these next 6 games, he will have exceeded expectations by a fair margin.

I would really prefer we don't play with fire against teams like unc by not putting the game out of reach & allowing them a chance to win. It would be one thing if the reason for other teams comebacks were getting beat by better players making great plays, but we're doing it by making very bad mental errors. The kind of errors poorly coached teams make & that's not the standard on The Flats. We're supposed to play smart & out-hustle our opponents.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
12-8 but I get your point.

If we go 3-3 these next 6 games, he will have exceeded expectations by a fair margin.

I would really prefer we don't play with fire against teams like unc by not putting the game out of reach & allowing them a chance to win. It would be one thing if the reason for other teams comebacks were getting beat by better players making great plays, but we're doing it by making very bad mental errors. The kind of errors poorly coached teams make & that's not the standard on The Flats. We're supposed to play smart & out-hustle our opponents.
12-8 is correct. Math is hard!

Agree that our player mental blunders have played a large role in making games closer than they should be, and in some instances like Louisville, may have cost us a win. As head coach, Key owns those blunders. We have come a long way from the infamous false-start-after-a-timeout play, but still have a ways to go. I think we are getting there, but for some reason, road games are our kryptonite.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
12-8 is correct. Math is hard!

Agree that our player mental blunders have played a large role in making games closer than they should be, and in some instances like Louisville, may have cost us a win. As head coach, Key owns those blunders. We have come a long way from the infamous false-start-after-a-timeout play, but still have a ways to go. I think we are getting there, but for some reason, road games are our kryptonite.
Road games are difficult.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
What is the difference? Was he able to adapt to the changing rules? Seems like he simply didn't want to invest into changing and had a stellar coaching career already. He made a smart rational decision to leave coaching. NIL and the Transfer Portal would have driven CPJ nuts!
Army and Navy are looking pretty good right now. Army never threw a pass until the game was in the bag. One of the most entertaining games I’ve seen this year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Army and Navy are looking pretty good right now. Army never threw a pass until the game was in the bag. One of the most entertaining games I’ve seen this year.
Army and Navy are truly different. No NUL, no incoming from the Portal and they play teams that are at the low end of FBS football talent wise.

Any P4 team running that offense would have the same recruiting challenges GT faced under CPJ. Most of the very best players don’t want to play in that system or practice against it. Money would be an issue and getting players from the portal would as well.

Army and Navy are smart for running that offense. It presents challenges. Let’s see how well they do tear after year. I hope one of them makes the CFP!