UNC 2024 Post Game

slugboy

Staff member
I hear Benny Hill music whenever I see him coaching(sic).

Kobe Bryant GIF

Do better, NE.
I'd like to see a UNC game highlights reel backed by "yackety sax"

------

Hampton has had a great season, and it's questionable whether UNC will make a bowl right now

He had a day on Saturday

PlayerStat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Omarion Hampton18 carries, 170 yds, 0 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)9.440.213.7644%3.0%

Haynes was a little better

PlayerStat lineYards/playEPA/playEPASRWPA
Jamal Haynes19 carries, 178 yds, 2 TD, 0 Fum (0 lost)9.370.458.4942%80.0%

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Key's explanation concerning GT not trying many deep passes during the UNC game. I paraphrase, but he basically said that he changed plan once he recognized that the UNC plan was to keep everything in front of them and trying to limit the deep pass. So, he changed plan to emphasize the running game. See "Changing the Plan of Attack." in article below.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I mean, it worked out, but I feel that was more because UNC defense stank. Against a competent D, we definitely would've needed to pass.
True, but considering the actual situation, opponent D tired and minimally effective vs the run, our 2nd string QB in, I do think the choice was a good one and there was a much higher chance of a chunk play running than passing with far leas risk.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
That was a BS call. Teams do that every game. They huddle everyone at the sideline at the timeout and then break from the timeout and come onto the field. It's a BS call by the officials that is hardly ever called, but is by the letter-of-the-law,
You are 100% wrong on that one. It came after the 2 minute timeout. GT huddled and broke a huddle with 12 men on the field.
12 men on the field.jpg

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Key's explanation concerning GT not trying many deep passes during the UNC game. I paraphrase, but he basically said that he changed plan once he recognized that the UNC plan was to keep everything in front of them and trying to limit the deep pass. So, he changed plan to emphasize the running game. See "Changing the Plan of Attack." in article below.

You'll never convince me there was over 44k at that game on Saturday. Maybe 4k. That's numbers inflation if I've ever seen it.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I hear Benny Hill music whenever I see him coaching(sic).
You nailed it!

Its coaching reminds me of the 3 stooges. Moe pokes Curly in both eyes with his index and middle fingers, Curly puts his hand in front of his nose to block so Moe pokes him in both eyes again using his 2 index fingers.

That person is a dumbass. It’s just who it is, simply put a charlatan.

buzzn3

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry if this has been brought up in another thread, but where was the band yesterday? One of the things I really enjoy is hearing our band being loud and proud at another team's stadium.
Athletics had to cut various budgets this year, which included the Band and Cheer Squad. This eliminated travel to away games except Ireland which was primarily funded through different means, and u(sic)ga, where they'll be sending a pep band.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You are 100% wrong on that one. It came after the 2 minute timeout. GT huddled and broke a huddle with 12 men on the field. View attachment 16999

I still contend this rule was changed shortly after Bud Carson ran a “cherry picker offense” against Vince Dooley. It was an attempt to disguise until last minute who the eligible receivers were. Dooley called it “brilliant” or “well conceived,” I forget which, but “someone” took note of this and decided rules needed to be “clarified.”

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Depends on the whistle. We couldn’t hear the whistle through the TV. If they blew the whistle before the fumble, then it is what it is. Often times the players are still pushing and pulling after the whistle has blown.
My understanding of the rule is that a player ruled down by forward progress is not reviewable. Whistle is irrelevant (logic is that the whistle happens “after” the determination is made).

I don’t know what exactly was reviewed on the play, but I don’t think they could rule it a fumble. That’s probably why the announcers didn’t give much explanation.

On the flip side, I do think that replay allows them to determine forward progress was stopped if it was not ruled that way on the field. It’s rare they review it, but I think I’ve seen it in late game situations determining if a player was stopped in play before going OOB. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a retroactive review of forward progress overturning a fumble but in theory, I believe that can happen.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
True, but considering the actual situation, opponent D tired and minimally effective vs the run, our 2nd string QB in, I do think the choice was a good one and there was a much higher chance of a chunk play running than passing with far leas risk.
I think some of the fans questioning the play selection during our last possession either didn't see or else forgot that we got the ball with even less time if the first half (36 seconds iirc) and drove into FG range with 3 run plays. That series stopped some of UNC's momentum going into halftime.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think some of the fans questioning the play selection during our last possession either didn't see or else forgot that we got the ball with even less time if the first half (36 seconds iirc) and drove into FG range with 3 run plays. That series stopped some of UNC's momentum going into halftime.
Yes. Questioning why we were running at the end of a game in which we had already amassed over 300 yards rushing strikes me as a bit… disconnected?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Questioning why we were running at the end of a game in which we had already amassed over 300 yards rushing strikes me as a bit… disconnected?
There’s a difference. When the backup QB comes in, the opposing defense basically expects them to have limited plays and stacks to stop simple run plays. If the starting AB was still in, your point would be spot on, because the defense knows our full playbook is open. I think you throw a pass early with the backup to try to stop the defense from doubling down on simple runs and have to defend against all threats, all plays. Their second level worrying about the pass is what caused our runs to work in the last 30 seconds of each half.
(Btw, my concern about