UNC 2024 Post Game

Jolly Good Fellow
Haynes is better than Zach......or at least that is the opinion of GT coaches.....but 70% Haynes is not better than Pyron (or maybe even Philo, who knows).... Frankly, HK has not had break-out season I'd hoped for, but he has still been B+ good. If he is 85%, he plays vs ND...
I am OK with Zach at QB along with the whole playbook.....
This game will boil down to how well our defense plays....just as it has for GT since 1966.....

Jolly Good Fellow
I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my opinion for the last 22 pages ;) so here it is.

Let's start with the good - we won, Geoff Collins lost, nananana booboo stick your head in doodoo. Jamal Haynes is healthy, and when Jamal Haynes is healthy he is a beast. 170 yds on 19 carries and 2 TDs! He outperformed Hampton, the star of UNC's offense. Add in King also going over 100 yds on the ground and Chad helping to very effectively spell Jamal, and we have a very dangerous backfield. OL played fairly well again. DL had their best game of the season, doing a good job of stopping UNC's rushing attack and putting pressure on Criswell - 3 sacks and a forced fumble is solid work. We won, we are now 5-2, and just 1 win from bowl eligibility.

Now for the not so good. Those commentators and refs should be tied to a rocket and fired into the sun, the bias was absurd. The constant highlighting of Geoff Collins was nauseating - newsflash, he sucks and is the major reason UNC lost. How the ref did not see Efford being blatantly held directly in front of his face on Hampton's one big run is ridiculous, he was wearing the ref cam and we could all see it. Beyond that, as good of a day as we had offensively, it could have been so much better. Remember, this is a TFG defense we were playing, and they were not good. King obviously was injured early on and struggled to throw medium and long passes all game. Singleton dropped a catchable ball, which has become somewhat common for him. Defensively, we regressed in the secondary, back to playing the receiver and paid for it in penalties and big completions. We were penalized a lot on both sides of the ball in general and at bad times, killing our own drives and extending theirs. We played horribly on special teams. We continue to be unable to mash the pedal and finish an opponent off. We are incredibly predictable in certain situations.

It feels like this team should be so much better than we are, and a lot of what it seems is holding us back is coaching/playcalling. We haven't really played a complete game since FSU, and after seven games into the season I'm wondering if we are going to. Under Key so far, we've dominated a P4 opponent by 3+ scores only once - UVA last season. I miss blowing the doors off an "equal" opponent or two most seasons like we did under CPJ, every game is still in doubt in the 4th quarter these days. I said in chat that I don't think Key will win any championships here - I hope I'm wrong, but right now that feels true. I don't feel like the coaching is improving. We are very Gailey-esque.

Question I guess for the mods on the subject of Chat - do people I have on ignore have their comments hidden as well if they are in chat? Because all the comments from people acting like chat is the most vile, horrific place on the planet make no sense to me, so either I'm not seeing those comments or they have no experience harsher than what you might hear at church league softball. I guarantee every single SEC, Big 10, NFL, NBA, and MLB fanbase has people saying stuff during/after games that makes our chat look like a cordial tea with the queen (RIP), and there are other GT message boards that are far worse as well.

eta: Faking injuries is really chicken****, unsportsmanlike, and teams need to be penalized for it. Hopefully there is a rule change after the season, but some of those were incredibly obvious.
"OL played fairly well again"...????
Yeti,
I always like your take on things but yesterday we rushed for over 300 yds.... "Fairly" is not quite "fair" to the OL guys... I watch them on every play. They played "well", no qualifiers required.
Not great but pretty da*n good.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
"OL played fairly well again"...????
Yeti,
I always like your take on things but yesterday we rushed for over 300 yds.... "Fairly" is not quite "fair" to the OL guys... I watch them on every play. They played "well", no qualifiers required.
Not great but pretty da*n good.
haha, fairly well is about equal to pretty good in my book.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if i missed the discussion of this but did anyone else think the fumble by UNC on the goal-line that the refs ignored was a BS call? The rb was still fighting to score when the ball came out and i guarantee you that if he had broken free and scored it would have counted, typical ACC-UNC home-cooking bs

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Also, i feel confident that if King had been 100% he would have thrown for 300-ish yards and we would have won by 3 touchdowns

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry if i missed the discussion of this but did anyone else think the fumble by UNC on the goal-line that the refs ignored was a BS call? The rb was still fighting to score when the ball came out and i guarantee you that if he had broken free and scored it would have counted, typical ACC-UNC home-cooking bs
It reminded me of that play against Ugag in 2014 when the mutts slapped the ball loose in a scrum that took over twice as long as the one Saturday.
Saturday's call was borderline, but you may well be right that if he'd crossed the goal line, they would have given him the TD.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It reminded me of that play against Ugag in 2014 when the mutts slapped the ball loose in a scrum that took over twice as long as the one Saturday.
Saturday's call was borderline, but you may well be right that if he'd crossed the goal line, they would have given him the TD.
I still don’t know what happened on that play in 2014. All I know from watching it multiple times is that the pile moved over the goal line and I waited for the refs to call TD. But they didn’t. Then the pile slowly moved back and I waited for them to whistle forward progress. Still no call. After I returned to my TV after making a ham and cheese sandwich, the pile took on a slightly different shape and a uga player appeared to be pulling the ball away from the pile. Silly me, when I saw uga players running the opposite way with the ball, I thought, “Ok, the play is over, the refs must have blown the whistle.”

Biggest bs homer call I’ve ever seen in uga/Tech game.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I still don’t know what happened on that play in 2014. All I know from watching it multiple times is that the pile moved over the goal line and I waited for the refs to call TD. But they didn’t. Then the pile slowly moved back and I waited for them to whistle forward progress. Still no call. After I returned to my TV after making a ham and cheese sandwich, the pile took on a slightly different shape and a uga player appeared to be pulling the ball away from the pile. Silly me, when I saw uga players running the opposite way with the ball, I thought, “Ok, the play is over, the refs must have blown the whistle.”

IIRC, that was a 14-point swing. Goal-line photos showed the ball clearly over the goal line; forward progress should not have even been part of the debate.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
With a healthy King and unbiased refs, we win the game by 3 scores. Just sayin'.
If ifs and buts...even with King playing the way he was we should have won by 3 scores.

A little premature, perhaps? I mean, Key has been our permanent head coach for only 1 1/2 seasons. His win trajectory is upward and his recruiting is as well. You may be correct, but I'd give the guy a chance first.
Perhaps, but we just don't seem to do much in the way of outcoaching our opponent, and we do get outcoached somewhat regularly. Maybe the improving talent we are bringing in will cover the coaching mistakes, or maybe the coaching will improve and Key will make better in-game decisions as he gets more experience. I do wonder how much he has other coaches like GOL, Saban, CPJ, etc mentoring/talking to him about the decisions he makes in games and where he could improve and why. Hopefully a lot.

Being unable to mash the pedal I think is where I have the most issue. Gailey did this a lot - get ahead by a little bit and then go super conservative to try and finish the game out. It lets the other team back into the game a whole lot of the time. For most of the 4th quarter we refused to let Pyron run the actual offense for some yet to be explained reason, and put the defense in prevent, when we could have dealt a knockout blow.

Idk, the best job of outcoaching I've seen CBK/CBF do was against uga last year. Maybe they are intentionally making us look super conservative and boring af all season to unload everything on them again this year.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The question on that was the whistle blown as the refs had signaled forward progress was stopped. The replay and announcers never really explained if that was the case. CW is clearly a lesser broadcast Network for College Football.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
was totally a bs call, just like the many blatant holds on their OL that weren't called.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
was totally a bs call, just like the many blatant holds on their OL that weren't called.
College refs rarely call holding unless the arm is outstretched with jersey in the defender's hand. They also rarely call Pass Interference even when the receiver is grabbed/mugged!

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
For what it's worth, here are the PFF grades for the offense and defense during the UNC game. Based on the articles that I have read the grades reflect the following:

90--100--Elite Performance (These grades must be some of TFG's players). LOL
80--89---Very Good Performance
70--79---Good Performance
60--69---Average Performance
Below 60---Below Average performance

See SI article below for grades. I do get concerned when you see some of the grades in the 40s and 50s. Regardless of the grades, it was enough to come away with a great win against UNC. The tight end scores were encouraging.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it was a BS call. If that RB had broken loose and fallen into the EZ, anyone here think they wouldn’t have signaled TD?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I was sitting right above the action, and after a while turned away, figuring the play must have surely been blown dead by now.
Next thing, I looked up and saw a Gagger running in the opposite direction with the ball and the refs acting like it was all natural.
They haven't blown the whistle to this day.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I was sitting right above the action, and after a while turned away, figuring the play must have surely been blown dead by now.
Next thing, I looked up and saw a Gagger running in the opposite direction with the ball and the refs acting like it was all natural.
They haven't blown the whistle to this day.
Then they turn around late in the game and call JT5’s pump fake that came out of his hand *down and forward* a fumble, not and incompletion.

Those were ACC refs. Just incompetent!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The question on that was the whistle blown as the refs had signaled forward progress was stopped. The replay and announcers never really explained if that was the case. CW is clearly a lesser broadcast Network for College Football.

As others have said, if guy had broken through and scored, it would've counted and the slanted broadcast would've bust a nut gasket celebrating how hard he fought to the (non)whistle.

In all seriousness, I was fine with calling it dead. I just thought they were waaaay late blowing the whistle. And the error was compounded by the fact that the ball came loose, which highlighted their tardiness. So, to save face, they had to pretend they didn't blow the whistle late.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my opinion for the last 22 pages ;) so here it is.

Let's start with the good - we won, Geoff Collins lost, nananana booboo stick your head in doodoo. Jamal Haynes is healthy, and when Jamal Haynes is healthy he is a beast. 170 yds on 19 carries and 2 TDs! He outperformed Hampton, the star of UNC's offense. Add in King also going over 100 yds on the ground and Chad helping to very effectively spell Jamal, and we have a very dangerous backfield. OL played fairly well again. DL had their best game of the season, doing a good job of stopping UNC's rushing attack and putting pressure on Criswell - 3 sacks and a forced fumble is solid work. We won, we are now 5-2, and just 1 win from bowl eligibility.

Now for the not so good. Those commentators and refs should be tied to a rocket and fired into the sun, the bias was absurd. The constant highlighting of Geoff Collins was nauseating - newsflash, he sucks and is the major reason UNC lost. How the ref did not see Efford being blatantly held directly in front of his face on Hampton's one big run is ridiculous, he was wearing the ref cam and we could all see it. Beyond that, as good of a day as we had offensively, it could have been so much better. Remember, this is a TFG defense we were playing, and they were not good. King obviously was injured early on and struggled to throw medium and long passes all game. Singleton dropped a catchable ball, which has become somewhat common for him. Defensively, we regressed in the secondary, back to playing the receiver and paid for it in penalties and big completions. We were penalized a lot on both sides of the ball in general and at bad times, killing our own drives and extending theirs. We played horribly on special teams. We continue to be unable to mash the pedal and finish an opponent off. We are incredibly predictable in certain situations.

It feels like this team should be so much better than we are, and a lot of what it seems is holding us back is coaching/playcalling. We haven't really played a complete game since FSU, and after seven games into the season I'm wondering if we are going to. Under Key so far, we've dominated a P4 opponent by 3+ scores only once - UVA last season. I miss blowing the doors off an "equal" opponent or two most seasons like we did under CPJ, every game is still in doubt in the 4th quarter these days. I said in chat that I don't think Key will win any championships here - I hope I'm wrong, but right now that feels true. I don't feel like the coaching is improving. We are very Gailey-esque.

Question I guess for the mods on the subject of Chat - do people I have on ignore have their comments hidden as well if they are in chat? Because all the comments from people acting like chat is the most vile, horrific place on the planet make no sense to me, so either I'm not seeing those comments or they have no experience harsher than what you might hear at church league softball. I guarantee every single SEC, Big 10, NFL, NBA, and MLB fanbase has people saying stuff during/after games that makes our chat look like a cordial tea with the queen (RIP), and there are other GT message boards that are far worse as well.

eta: Faking injuries is really chicken****, unsportsmanlike, and teams need to be penalized for it. Hopefully there is a rule change after the season, but some of those were incredibly obvious.
Yes, you do not see chat comments from people you have on ignore.

Chat is emotional spew of consciousness.