UNC 2024 Post Game

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
True. And that one was exceptionally egregious as it pushed us from 3rd and 1 to 3rd and 6 when we just needed a first down to ice the game. I may have thrown something at the TV. Maybe we haven’t come that far after all.
We do too much of that type stuff. It just takes sideline communication and focus.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I tried to watch the UNC postgame but it was too wrenching to watch it all. Mack Brown began with talking about the death announcement and how that was handled with the team. The player apparently died that morning shortly before the game and Brown figured it out sometime in the first quarter based on how the mother was acting at the game. Tears and memories were shared, the naming of a new addition to the team nutrition room in memory was mentioned, and when Brown and his wife will go to be with the family after the press briefing. The press was respectful and Mack Brown handled it all with dignity. He’s a gentleman.

I swear it almost made me wish Tech had not won.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I tried to watch the UNC postgame but it was too wrenching to watch it all. Mack Brown began with talking about the death announcement and how that was handled with the team. The player apparently died that morning shortly before the game and Brown figured it out sometime in the first quarter based on how the mother was acting at the game. Tears and memories were shared, the naming of a new addition to the team nutrition room in memory was mentioned, and when Brown and his wife will go to be with the family after the press briefing. The press was respectful and Mack Brown handled it all with dignity. He’s a gentleman.

I swear it almost made me wish Tech had not won.
You win with grace, and lose with dignity. Mack Brown is a class act. Honoring a human life is always the right thing to do, IMPO.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Army and Navy are looking pretty good right now. Army never threw a pass until the game was in the bag. One of the most entertaining games I’ve seen this year.
Both Army and Navy are now ranked in the same AP poll for the first time since 1960:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It didn’t really matter, but can we talk about the fumble that was called an incomplete pass? So yes, on review his arm was moving forward. But no one touched the ball and the ball went backward out of his hand. So that is by rule a fumble. It can’t be incomplete if it’s a lateral. Now they recovered it, but it’s possible that they end up missing the FG. Just sort of pisses me off that they spend so much time lookin at his arm moving forward without thinking about the trajectory of the ball.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It didn’t really matter, but can we talk about the fumble that was called an incomplete pass? So yes, on review his arm was moving forward. But no one touched the ball and the ball went backward out of his hand. So that is by rule a fumble. It can’t be incomplete if it’s a lateral. Now they recovered it, but it’s possible that they end up missing the FG. Just sort of pisses me off that they spend so much time lookin at his arm moving forward without thinking about the trajectory of the ball.
Ball looked like it went forward to me. Barely perceptible in slo-mo replay, the hand and ball both went forward just before he lost his grip. Or at least it seemed so to me.

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree completely. that's a horrible situation I wouldn't wish on any coach, even scooter, van Gorder, beamer, or Kirby/richt. from what I've heard about Mack from UT fans and friends, he's a fiercely loyal guy to his people.

don't ban me.. but... kudos to the unc team for playing as well as they did.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Well did have a penalty yesterday for 12 men in the huddle coming out of a timeout.
That was a BS call. Teams do that every game. They huddle everyone at the sideline at the timeout and then break from the timeout and come onto the field. It's a BS call by the officials that is hardly ever called, but is by the letter-of-the-law, a penalty.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
So coming up with schemes to get our running game to have 371 yards isn't out coaching an opponent? Just because the win doesn't look the way in which you would like doesn't mean the coaching isn't effective and working. The staff outcoached Duke last week and FSU at the beginning of the season. Getting the lead for a good portion of the UNC game takes some form of out coaching and game planning. Im not saying the staff has been perfect, but saying that they get out coached regularly when they are 5-2 is a stretch. Were you saying the same in 2014?
lmao it's Geoffrey Collins, outcoaching him is automatic because he can't coach in the first place. We didn't run anything crazy, unc's defense just sucks.

I'm talking about the constant mental mistakes, the stupid penalties like 12 men in the huddle, the settling for field goals when we need touchdowns, the letting the foot off the gas and going into conservative mode, the routinely coming out of halftime flat, the running the ball constantly on first down and qb keep damn near every play Pyron is in the game, regardless of whether everybody on the planet knows its going to happen. Key wants to win by being tough, not by outwitting our opponents, and it seems pretty obvious that's how we coach and call plays.

I'm not sure that we outcoached Duke last week as much as we out talented them - they have a pretty weak roster.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
lmao it's Geoffrey Collins, outcoaching him is automatic because he can't coach in the first place. We didn't run anything crazy, unc's defense just sucks.

I'm talking about the constant mental mistakes, the stupid penalties like 12 men in the huddle, the settling for field goals when we need touchdowns, the letting the foot off the gas and going into conservative mode, the routinely coming out of halftime flat, the running the ball constantly on first down and qb keep damn near every play Pyron is in the game, regardless of whether everybody on the planet knows its going to happen. Key wants to win by being tough, not by outwitting our opponents, and it seems pretty obvious that's how we coach and call plays.

I'm not sure that we outcoached Duke last week as much as we out talented them - they have a pretty weak roster.
Most teams that win dont run anything crazy. They coach technique and proper assignments which is what football mainly comes down to. Key and the staff has been doing that well enough this season to be 5-2.

You seem to look at every negative aspect of the game which for many on here is a product of Key simply not being the coach you wanted. Ofc it's going to look like he isn't as good a coach when he's under a much bigger microscope. Those who wanted Johnson gone did the same thing when Tech barely beat teams like Duke or Georgia Southern and definitely did when he lost games. When you don't believe in a coach, it won't matter whether or not that coach wins, only if they win in the way you want. I am not going to excuse the mental mistakes, but I'm not going to harp on them as much as those who merely want something to complain about. The settling for field goals bothers me because if Tech goes for it and doesn't make it, people would be criticizing not taking the field goal. As for the outwitting part, it just reflects back on what I said earlier. It's the way YOU want Tech to win and if it's not done that way it won't be good enough.

The staff out coached Duke last week. Saying that they didn't is just an excuse to make the coach staff look bad. By that, no game that Tech won in the past where there was a talent advantage for Tech was done due to better coaching, just inferior rosters on the other team's part.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Most teams that win dont run anything crazy. They coach technique and proper assignments which is what football mainly comes down to. Key and the staff has been doing that well enough this season to be 5-2.
Most coaches are middle of the road and win because their team just happens to play better that week than their opponent - that's why you can lose to Georgia State and beat Bama just a few games apart. Most of the teams that win a lot still have otherwise mediocre coaches, but can out talent their opponents more often than not.

You seem to look at every negative aspect of the game which for many on here is a product of Key simply not being the coach you wanted. Ofc it's going to look like he isn't as good a coach when he's under a much bigger microscope.
I highlighted many of the positives from the game right up front, I guess you skipped over those. I've also routinely defended this team under Key as better than we played or than others might think. I criticized CPJ plenty too, but I'm sorry but it doesn't take a microscope to see that Key, at least so far, is not on the same level of coaching as CPJ. He's just flat out not. I know plenty on here are excited at the prospect of 6 wins and a bowl game, maybe that's you too. Personally, I expect better, and I always have. 6-7 wins is mediocre.

Those who wanted Johnson gone did the same thing when Tech barely beat teams like Duke or Georgia Southern and definitely did when he lost games. When you don't believe in a coach, it won't matter whether or not that coach wins, only if they win in the way you want.
It has nothing to do with not believing in a coach. I'm not advocating for Key to be fired yet. I criticized Johnson when we played poorly under him too because I know we were capable of doing better. I believe Key is capable of doing better as well, but he's not shown much improvement in that regard yet. People like to point to our "upward trajectory" but that was mainly from TFG setting the bar so low. We are in season 2 and it looks like we will finish about the same as we did last year. Hopefully we suprise somebody in the final 5 games, but our play so far doesnt suggest it. We have not been opportunistic.

I am not going to excuse the mental mistakes, but I'm not going to harp on them as much as those who merely want something to complain about. The settling for field goals bothers me because if Tech goes for it and doesn't make it, people would be criticizing not taking the field goal. As for the outwitting part, it just reflects back on what I said earlier. It's the way YOU want Tech to win and if it's not done that way it won't be good enough.
It sure seems like you are okay ignoring them and don't want to talk about them, just focus on the positive. I know another guy who wanted to just focus on the positive - TFG.

We have settled for kicking field goals multiple times when we didn't have to. Going into the half against Cuse, we had absolutely abysmal clock management, barely even got into field goal range and then missed it. We could have scored a TD there and made the difference in the game being a W, instead we end up losing by 3 points. Against UNC we had time to take a shot at the endzone before half, and we settled again for a field goal without even trying. We settled for a field goal when we had gotten to the 6 last week. How do you preach toughness and physicality and yet settle so often?

The staff out coached Duke last week. Saying that they didn't is just an excuse to make the coach staff look bad. By that, no game that Tech won in the past where there was a talent advantage for Tech was done due to better coaching, just inferior rosters on the other team's part.
When a team has inferior talent and gets outcoached, they don't usually have a lead going into the 4th quarter, and you beat them by more than 10.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
A replay clearly shows the elbow is still bent backwards when the ball comes out even though the arm motion is forward. That is clearly a fumble in my mind.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, this happened. We scored on "money down"

I hear Benny Hill music whenever I see him coaching(sic).

Cringe with embarrassment every time I see this. It’s only marginally more palatable that it’s happening to another team now but, honestly, I feel sorry for UNC. And I’ve never been a UNC fan. But uga might be the only team I would ever wish TFG on.

Kobe Bryant GIF

Do better, NE.