UNC 2024 Post Game

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember when Coach Key said this. But something like we need to learn how to win before we can win consistently.

I think we are still in that transition of learning how to win and a lot of the fan base feels like we should already be there. (Me as well at times). After the FSU win I thought we were farther along than we were. If King can stay healthy, I still think we win 8 regular season games and the bowl game. Winning 3 of the next 5 will be tough but very doable. I like the trajectory of the defense combined with a good offense. But we could just as easily only win 1 more

gte447f

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to call attention to our punter, Mr. Shanahan. Pinned UNC inside the 5 early in the game and would have pinned them at the seven with a booming kick later on, only to have it called back but then got off a very nice punt subsequently. I cannot recall any really bad punt he's had all year, net wise. I guess in general punters don't get noticed unless they screw up, but he's very quietly having a very, very nice season for us.
Did you not see the last punt of the game? Or did I imagine it. He fumbled the snap and shanked it about 15 yards out of bounds. He was extremely lucky it wasn’t blocked. He seems to me to be pretty inconsistent, and he makes me nervous every time we punt.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Been a Tech fan for 50 years and a season ticket holder for 30. Glad to get the win. I have alway been proud of the war Tech teams carry themselves and play hard but fair. i was very disappointed and surprised with the obvious flopping on defense in the 4th quarter. Let’s leave that to the Ole Misses of the world.
We did this injury faking under Collins. I was wondering if this was some sort of Dig at Collins by Key?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m confused why the coaching staff does not want to give him an open playbook in a game like today. That’s what had me the most frustrated today. I wonder if some it isn’t Key wanting to “stick to the identity” of being a hard nose power running team.

In the end, I’m glad we won. And 5-2 is a helluva lot better than 4-3. I’m done with getting upset about how GT wins because I feel like they should have won by more, or it didn’t look pretty, or because I question a coaching decision. I enjoy the win no matter what. I trust Key and the coaching staff, but I would like to know why we are so scared of letting Pyron play with an open playbook.
I feel like you’re making an assumption about the coaches not giving him an open playbook. If you look at the context and our performance during the game, we were up two scores and were running for 7.5 uards per carry. It seems clear to me that we were sticking with what was working and minimizing the risk of turnovers by running the ball.

On top of that, we’ve been playing ball control all year. It shouldn’t be surprising that we’re attempting to impose our will through the running game at that point in time.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Only on page one...
Have not seen CBK post game, but I am sure that come Monday there will be PLENTY of things to work on being fixed. Kick coverage and the numbers of players allowed in in the offensive huddle (especially after a time out) will be some of what is covered.
I'm like someone else on here, we keep making the stupid mistakes in numbers and they say they're fixing them and they just keep happening. That's on the coaches as far as I'm concerned.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
And I would be curious about what others think about this but…

It seemed to me that our defense looked really good. Especially when we played fairly generic schemes. We got pressure on their QB, stuffed the run most of the game, and our DBs stuck like glue on their receivers.

The exceptions to this seemed to occur when we called the wrong defense on a play, especially some of our more exotic blitzes that left receivers uncovered, or having linebackers out of position on running plays because we schemed for a pass play. In other words our defensive breakdowns seemed self inflicted.

Maybe this is happening more and more with all teams because offensive and defensive scheming is getting more complicated.
The UNC QB played well. Our Defense is clearly better than it has been in years but we still lack a real impact Defensive Lineman who can cause chaos for our opponents. The DBs seemed to play a solid game yesterday. The UNC QB made several very good passes. To me our Defense has progressed from God Awful to slightly Below Average. That is progress. Really good offenses will be a challenge for our defense. I believe that is one reason CBK seems to wan to run a ball control offense to limit the amount of plays our defense is on the field. It has worked fairly well this season.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Did you not see the last punt of the game? Or did I imagine it. He fumbled the snap and shanked it about 15 yards out of bounds. He was extremely lucky it wasn’t blocked. He seems to me to be pretty inconsistent, and he makes me nervous every time we punt.
It was not a 15-yard punt, but a 32-yard punt with no return. He hasn't had any blocked and maybe only one run back significantly all year, except for the TD. Punted one earlier 62 yards downed at the seven, called back on a penalty, and then followed it with a 52-yarder out-of-bounds. Also had a punt from the 45-yard line downed at the three. I stand by my assessment that he's had a pretty good year so far, all in all.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It was not a 15-yard punt, but a 32-yard punt with no return. He hasn't had any blocked and maybe only one run back significantly all year, except for the TD. Punted one earlier 62 yards downed at the seven, called back on a penalty, and then followed it with a 52-yarder out-of-bounds. Also had a punt from the 45-yard line downed at the three. I stand by my assessment that he's had a pretty good year so far, all in all.
I have not been a Shanahan fan since he became GT's punter. He makes plenty of good punts but they are offset in my view by the really bad punts he makes. He nearly cost us the game with two really poor punts yesterday. I hope he dose not lose his confidence and gets back to being a good and consistent punter!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He has to have direct contact with his public relations team at all time.

That's the only way he could have had so much air time. The broadcast team actually resurrected the "historic transition" from the option theme.

Is there a coach less worthy of love from apologists?

As I and others kept saying yesterday, how did they quote all his talking point/excuses despite him allegedly "not wanting to talk about it"?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I have not been a Shanahan fan since he became GT's punter. He makes plenty of good punts but they are offset in my view by the really bad punts he makes. He nearly cost us the game with two really poor punts yesterday. I hope he dose not lose his confidence and gets back to being a good and consistent punter!
Shanahan came in with no experience in American football and also had the disadvantage of an extremely poorly coached special teams unit. Given the constantly blocked kicks and hits he took, I imagine his first couple of years here caused him some unexpected trauma. Once Key fixed that, he steadily improved his game.

He had some inexplicable issues yesterday but also made some great punts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The UNC QB played well. Our Defense is clearly better than it has been in years but we still lack a real impact Defensive Lineman who can cause chaos for our opponents. The DBs seemed to play a solid game yesterday. The UNC QB made several very good passes. To me our Defense has progressed from God Awful to slightly Below Average. That is progress. Really good offenses will be a challenge for our defense. I believe that is one reason CBK seems to wan to run a ball control offense to limit the amount of plays our defense is on the field. It has worked fairly well this season.
Good assessment.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Seven games in, I think we know what we have now. The team is good but not special. With good coaching and being pretty solid at the lines of scrimmage, the team has shown a pretty high floor, but has not shown a high ceiling either.

We are looking at the toughest competition coming up and we will see how the lines of scrimmage hold up against that caliber of opponent.

The biggest surprise to me this year is that I thought that we had the tools in the toolbox to field a much more open and explosive offense. I've been surprised by the conservatism, not only in terms of play calling but in terms of clock management to shorten games. For several weeks this has puzzled me.

But the insight is understanding that Haynes King has been limited, if not the entire season, most of it. His throwing shoulder has not been right and yesterday he got hit and it got worse. Accept that fact, then what we've been seeing on offense makes much more sense.

The team, especially the offense, has been beat-up. this is what has really put the cap on this team's ceiling this season. The talent is upgraded and continues to be upgraded. Things continue to look up.

Always sweet to win an ACC road game and to beat Carolina. Always.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Camera cut away too fast to catch it all but the snark-masters like myself peeped game.
Snarkmasters…

Give Me A Break Please GIF by America's Got Talent