UNC 2024 Post Game

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Do you play golf? We tend to remember the putts we miss and not the ones we make. We focus on the mistakes. There were a lot of good plays today but some of the mistakes are magnified in tight games. Its human nature.
That TD run by JH was unexpected at a huge moment. I felt we were not going to throw it with King out and not chance an INT. I think if we go to OT we were at a big disadvantage. What a way to win a game.
I was an every-other-week golfer until my green fees became baby wipes and diapers. Never have gotten back into it. However, on the contrary, I do recall that I would remember that great shot on #18 that proved to me that I could play that game. That is what brought me back week after week, not the missed putt or chili-dipped chip shot. Maybe it's just me.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
Birr has had the same issue his entire time at Tech. Do not ask him to kick from the 30-35 yard line from the right hash. He cannot make that kick straight. He'll either push it right or pull it left. From the center of the field or left hash, he is money. Go back and look at where he misses. Key even noted this in one of the pressers after a loss. He commented to Weinke or Faulkner that it was from the 33 on the right hash..."well, we knew what was going to happen."
But this is crazy...there is no reason this cannot be worked out...he has the raw talent. My son was a kicker and so we came up through camps and clinics and dealt with amazing special teams coaches who can teach mechanics

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UNC did not mail it after 3 bad losses to their credit. I wonder if yesterday’s loss will be the final nail in that particular coffin. Everyone talks about how well they recruit but I didn’t see many ( if any) guys on their roster that were an upgrade over anyone on our squad. Their running back being the sole exception. He would be welcome on anybody’s roster.

Also it may have been mentioned already but our DL showed significant improvement over previous games.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
thats not what the coach said in the post interview. He said he had 2 timeouts left and had the option to run the ball for a first down (Stop the clock) and run again or use one timeout. Then throw a higher probability pass to get into FG range for the win. aka the runs were important to get a little further downfield so we could throw a higher probability pass to get into FG range and then use the last timeout.

So if you just throw the ball there like you suggested then that would be bad coaching. Glad you are not the coach.
One of the reasons why I posted the post game CBK (just like others have done before and will in the future). Sometimes there are nuggets (facts not speculation) in them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
UNC did not mail it after 3 bad losses to their credit. I wonder if yesterday’s loss will be the final nail in that particular coffin. Everyone talks about how well they recruit but I didn’t see many ( if any) guys on their roster that were an upgrade over anyone on our squad. Their running back being the sole exception. He would be welcome on anybody’s roster.

Also it may have been mentioned already but our DL showed significant improvement over previous games.
And I would be curious about what others think about this but…

It seemed to me that our defense looked really good. Especially when we played fairly generic schemes. We got pressure on their QB, stuffed the run most of the game, and our DBs stuck like glue on their receivers.

The exceptions to this seemed to occur when we called the wrong defense on a play, especially some of our more exotic blitzes that left receivers uncovered, or having linebackers out of position on running plays because we schemed for a pass play. In other words our defensive breakdowns seemed self inflicted.

Maybe this is happening more and more with all teams because offensive and defensive scheming is getting more complicated.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
With the losses mounting and the passing away of the player, id be surprised if Brown finishes the year.
It’s been a really tough year for them.

I could see Brown agreeing to “serve out his term” this year, feeling like no new coach needs to step into this season of grief. He has a bond with the players and the healing process would be served by sticking together and having some kind of closure at the end of the season. Then everybody has a fresh start next year, new coach, new year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And I would be curious about what others think about this but…

It seemed to me that our defense looked really good. Especially when we played fairly generic schemes. We got pressure on their QB, stuffed the run most of the game, and our DBs stuck like glue on their receivers.

The exceptions to this seemed to occur when we called the wrong defense on a play, especially some of our more exotic blitzes that left receivers uncovered, or having linebackers out of position on running plays because we schemed for a pass play. In other words our defensive breakdowns seemed self inflicted.

Maybe this is happening more and more with all teams because offensive and defensive scheming is getting more complicated.
I agree with the above for the most part. But worry that we are seeing progress precisely bc we WANT to see progress! 😁

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I was an every-other-week golfer until my green fees became baby wipes and diapers. Never have gotten back into it. However, on the contrary, I do recall that I would remember that great shot on #18 that proved to me that I could play that game. That is what brought me back week after week, not the missed putt or chili-dipped chip shot. Maybe it's just me.
That one pure shot keeps you coming back. The feeling is I can do this.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Does anyone remember the ‘21 game at MBS winning big vs unc, then going 1-7 the rest of season and getting outscored 0-100 the last two games with these two?

Was saving this memory ‘for such a time as this’. Felt really good for GT to beat TFG today with the last second TD.

View attachment 16992

no, no one remembers, and it shouldn't be part of this game win thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Perhaps the most disrespectful Haynes TD move probably wasn't fully caught on video.

When he scored to put us up 34-24, after he carried the 300lb DL into the endzone, Haynes did the ol' "he's too small" move.

Cant Guard Me Nba Playoffs GIF

Camera cut away too fast to catch it all but the snark-masters like myself peeped game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to call attention to our punter, Mr. Shanahan. Pinned UNC inside the 5 early in the game and would have pinned them at the seven with a booming kick later on, only to have it called back but then got off a very nice punt subsequently. I cannot recall any really bad punt he's had all year, net wise. I guess in general punters don't get noticed unless they screw up, but he's very quietly having a very, very nice season for us.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Their qb was 3rd string beginning of fall practice. The starter broke his leg first game. They are still playing hard. We were fortunate to win with HK going out injured and a very short leash on ZP. JH bailed us out on that unexpected TD run and the DL made a great goal line stand.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd like to call attention to our punter, Mr. Shanahan. Pinned UNC inside the 5 early in the game and would have pinned them at the seven with a booming kick later on, only to have it called back but then got off a very nice punt subsequently. I cannot recall any really bad punt he's had all year, net wise. I guess in general punters don't get noticed unless they screw up, but he's very quietly having a very, very nice season for us.

yep he is. easy to forget how valuable the punter is when you have a good one.

yellajacket20

Jolly Good Fellow
Their qb was 3rd string beginning of fall practice. The starter broke his leg first game. They are still playing hard. We were fortunate to win with HK going out injured and a very short leash on ZP. JH bailed us out on that unexpected TD run and the DL made a great goal line stand.

Honestly, the DL has been night and day compared to last year. Bowing up on short yardage is something they've done a lot of.

slugboy

Staff member
Good morning!

The Jackets won yesterday :)

The point returned for a TD was almost blocked, and it was short, leading to the TD. He bobbled the snap.

Tech dominated the game until the 4th, when we fell apart.

game-wp-401635577.jpg.png

Normally, UNC gives up explosive plays. Yesterday, they basically gave up one to Jamal Haynes. We really blew them away except for the big plays, which were the difference between UNC scoring 13 points and 34 points.

That's why fans love explosive plays when they're YOUR explosive plays. Yesterday, they were mostly UNCs. Without those eight (8!!!!!) explosive plays, UNC suffers a humiliating beatdown, and our backups are in the game to close it out.

IMG_0393.png

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honestly, the DL has been night and day compared to last year. Bowing up on short yardage is something they've done a lot of.

I'm trying to figure what the heyul changed. Defensive recognition is also light years better.

We certainly have bad moments and stretches, but hearing that we're top 11 or 13 in the nation in run defense is mind-boggling. Especially considering where we were in prior years.