UNC 2024 Post Game

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
After the events of the day, and two hours putting up the rest of the hay for winter, my feelings about today's win remain the same......

hot-dog dog GIF

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Awesome win on the road against a talented, albeit under-coached team. Very happy with this, we had trouble putting it away, something to work on.
Trying to not rejoice too much about sticking it to TFG, but this is it, burying the hatchet. About us doing well, vs wishing anything else bad for TFG. I would guess the whole unc staff will be canned shortly, but that’s their problem.
We are 5-2, more good things to come.
TFG only got a 2 year contract. If Mack retires, no way is he retained with the stats he has this year. They will clean house. Mack is 73 and has lost fan support. Can't imagine he gets another year. Hard to hire good assistant coaches and recruit with that uncertainty. A lot of unc fans still haven't forgiven him for leaving for Texas.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone remember the ‘21 game at MBS winning big vs unc, then going 1-7 the rest of season and getting outscored 0-100 the last two games with these two?

Was saving this memory ‘for such a time as this’. Felt really good for GT to beat TFG today with the last second TD.

1728786814263.png

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
Speaking of Birr, he is the second kicker in recent memory who has gone from absolute money one year to something much less than that the following. After hitting the game winner against FSU I thought we would be solid again this season in terms of field goals.
Birr has had the same issue his entire time at Tech. Do not ask him to kick from the 30-35 yard line from the right hash. He cannot make that kick straight. He'll either push it right or pull it left. From the center of the field or left hash, he is money. Go back and look at where he misses. Key even noted this in one of the pressers after a loss. He commented to Weinke or Faulkner that it was from the 33 on the right hash..."well, we knew what was going to happen."

Darthdad

Georgia Tech Fan
Wasn't able to watch today but I saw the game-winning TD. I'm not sure what happened with our defense. I'll have to watch the highlights but whatever went wrong, it's always better to critique after a win than a loss. I'll take a sloppy, ugly win over a well-played loss every time.

patrickr21

Georgia Tech Fan
Or…King is banged up, but generally what we saw today and they just sat him down too early. Dude literally led us on a TD drive before they sat him. I think it was a bad coaching decision they were unwilling to go back on.
I have a pretty different view, and I feel like the coaches kept Haynes King in there too long while he was clearly injured and it was hampering his effectiveness with throwing the ball. Although, I will admit he did lead a drive with his legs after I was thinking the coaching staff was being stubborn for keeping him in.

But I still feel Pyron should have been given a chance earlier in the game with an open playbook. Not sure where all this uncertainty in Pyron’s ability to throw and run the offense comes from. Does anyone remember 2 years ago when Pyron started a couple game as a true freshman. From what I recall, The guy can throw the ball and is very accurate.

I’m confused why the coaching staff does not want to give him an open playbook in a game like today. That’s what had me the most frustrated today. I wonder if some it isn’t Key wanting to “stick to the identity” of being a hard nose power running team.

In the end, I’m glad we won. And 5-2 is a helluva lot better than 4-3. I’m done with getting upset about how GT wins because I feel like they should have won by more, or it didn’t look pretty, or because I question a coaching decision. I enjoy the win no matter what. I trust Key and the coaching staff, but I would like to know why we are so scared of letting Pyron play with an open playbook.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Espn is noting a 68 yard run walk off score with 16 sec remaining on the rotating scoreboards and I have to think fans of other teams who did not see the game are like what in the world lol.
I’ve noticed that with most games. If you see the score or highlights, you don’t know much else unless you watched the game. One of the worst games I saw all year was the BYU SMU game early on. I thought neither team would win another game. But here we are.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Birr has had the same issue his entire time at Tech. Do not ask him to kick from the 30-35 yard line from the right hash. He cannot make that kick straight. He'll either push it right or pull it left. From the center of the field or left hash, he is money. Go back and look at where he misses. Key even noted this in one of the pressers after a loss. He commented to Weinke or Faulkner that it was from the 33 on the right hash..."well, we knew what was going to happen."
I think that was his first miss left from the right hash. His normal miss is right.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I have a pretty different view, and I feel like the coaches kept Haynes King in there too long while he was clearly injured and it was hampering his effectiveness with throwing the ball. Although, I will admit he did lead a drive with his legs after I was thinking the coaching staff was being stubborn for keeping him in.

But I still feel Pyron should have been given a chance earlier in the game with an open playbook. Not sure where all this uncertainty in Pyron’s ability to throw and run the offense comes from. Does anyone remember 2 years ago when Pyron started a couple game as a true freshman. From what I recall, The guy can throw the ball and is very accurate.

I’m confused why the coaching staff does not want to give him an open playbook in a game like today. That’s what had me the most frustrated today. I wonder if some it isn’t Key wanting to “stick to the identity” of being a hard nose power running team.

In the end, I’m glad we won. And 5-2 is a helluva lot better than 4-3. I’m done with getting upset about how GT wins because I feel like they should have won by more, or it didn’t look pretty, or because I question a coaching decision. I enjoy the win no matter what. I trust Key and the coaching staff, but I would like to know why we are so scared of letting Pyron play with an open playbook.
Amen to all you say brother. I doubt if Key would have his job now if Pyron hadn't played so well in 2022. And tried to play even after he broke his collar bone. I also would like to know why our brain trust of Weinke, Faulkner, and Key hasn't had a full package ready for their back to QB, especially when King has not looked anywhere close to where he looked last year. But I realize we will never know the realizing and trust this staff now and in the future. We are 5-2!
I did not enjoy this game at all. Like a lot of fans it was a revenge game for me, just like "62, and a must win for me. I only felt comfortable after Jamal's run of 68 yards with 16 seconds left. Though we didn't destroy UNC, we did shred Scooter's defense for 505 yards and 41 points, all with a dinged up QB. I am completely satisfied with the outcome and now plan to move on from Scoots since he has been confirmed to be a complete fraud as a P4 coach, at least in my mind.
Jamal, Malik the beast, and this entire team will live in my heart forever, right next to the team of '62. Thank you!

Last edited:

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You always have to evaluate performance: coaches and players. There were a lot of mistakes today and a lot to clean up. This was CBK’s first, well, second statement. But the team gutted it out and blew up the big play in the last minute to win. Why focus on the obvious bad stuff when you can focus on the obvious good stuff and the W? I don’t get that. Yes, those mistakes are irritating, but we did a lot good, too. We had 25 1st downs, 505 total yards, and 371 rushing yards. That’s strong.
Critical evaluation even with the win? What do you expect from a S.T.E.M. school fanbase?

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
for real. honestly cant believe we have fans turning their nose up at any bowl games when we've struggled to even qualify for one lately. We haven't been a program able to turn their nose up at a low tier bowl game for about 8 years now
Some people complain to complain. Winning is this era of college football is extremely difficult and it’s extremely rare to dominate any FBS school and be mistake free for 60 minutes.

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty disappointing I’m 3 pages into this thread and no one has mentioned us faking injuries all game. It was humiliating being there as a GT fan/alum and watching the program pull that. If UNC did that and we lost in the same fashion, it’d be the main topic on this board.

Edit: I’ve seen it mentioned a few times now. Haven’t seen CBK postgame yet but did anyone ask him about it?
There is literally a separate thread about it. Personally couldn’t care less.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Then maybe just run a play to the other side of the field on third down? I don’t know…just a thought.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Some people complain to complain. Winning is this era of college football is extremely difficult and it’s extremely rare to dominate any FBS school and be mistake free for 60 minutes.

This really seems to be the case.

Sometimes I watch about 2 minutes of an SEC game (all I can stand because the announcers are so over the top like they’re describing Lombardi’s Green Bay Packers) and they have the same issues trying to put teams away or play a clean game. It’s seems harder for every team these days. I can think of several reasons why this is happening but it seems to be a fact.