UNC 2024 Post Game

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Whine? You seem to not quite understand the angles. From the offensive side it ā€œappearsā€ no one is within 2 yards. Defensive side JH breaks the line an 3 defenders are hilariousy. Facing backwards with no one blocking them and not 5 yards away.
You ever ā€œwatched game film a day in your life? Angles, both sides of the ball.
Hey, Tech won and your negative attitude wonā€˜t stop me enjoying that!

wrong. if you're inclined, go to the 0:48 mark, and watch the blocking unfold. there is nobody standing with their backs to him like you say. they got blown out, and he burst thru.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If they were playing for OT then they kneel the ball after the kick. As someone already say, Key stated that they wanted to get the ball into range for a game winning kick.
Do you really believe that? If so you need to pay more attention to how long it takes to line up and run plays. With 16 seconds youā€™ve got 2-3 plays, including the kick. If their game plan was to get in FG range then they were pretty much screwed if Haynes didnā€™t break away for the TD. If he gets tackled anywhere short of FG range - which was 40 yards away, we likely donā€™t have enough time to even run another play to get there and still have time to kick. It worked, so we will praise them for it, but I donā€™t think anyone on that staff had much more than a prayer that we were doing anything but playing in OT.

Edit: revisiting this post. We had 26 second when we snapped the ball, not 16. Thatā€™s a lot more time than I remember. Still felt like a stretch, but not as bad as I thought. Caught up in the emotion of course. Iā€™m glad Jamal is fast as ****!

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I only caught the first part of the game since it overlapped my sonā€™s baseball game.

I donā€™t think there could have been a more poetic ending and for the first time ever, really look forward to watching watching his video talking his way out of this one. Hopefully heā€™ll fail upwards with the Tarholes.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
The transfer portal is making every game hard to win. Thereā€™s 4 quarters in a game and if Ga Tech has proved anything in the last 2 years they will beat you if a minute is left on the clock. These dudes donā€™t quit until the game is over. Itā€™s not a coincidence we keep winning games late in the 4th quarterā€¦they donā€™t quit and thatā€™s a reflection on the head coach!How sweet it is baby 5-2 šŸ˜

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Do you really believe that? If so you need to pay more attention to how long it takes to line up and run plays. With 16 seconds youā€™ve got 2-3 plays, including the kick. If their game plan was to get in FG range then they were pretty much screwed if Haynes didnā€™t break away for the TD. If he gets tackled anywhere short of FG range - which was 40 yards away, we likely donā€™t have enough time to even run another play to get there and still have time to kick. It worked, so we will praise them for it, but I donā€™t think anyone on that staff had much more than a prayer that we were doing anything but playing in OT.

Edit: revisiting this post. We had 26 second when we snapped the ball, not 16. Thatā€™s a lot more time than I remember. Still felt like a stretch, but not as bad as I thought. Caught up in the emotion of course. Iā€™m glad Jamal is fast as ****!
Alright, **** it. We won and Iā€™m happy. No more bitching. Letā€™s get ready for a huge game Saturday! Go Jackets! THWtfg

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Never understand this ā€œyou should be thrilled about everything because we wonā€ notion. Same issue I have with guys getting upset about chat comments. We were up 10 with a chance to put the game away and we almost **** it away. Why do I need to be thrilled about that? I want our players to be put in better positions to win handily against a really bad UNC team. Itā€™s not crazy to ask for the coaches to make some better decisions or to complain about some of what we saw today on special teams. You can be glad for the win and happy about the running game success AND be upset about other poor aspects of our team that keep popping up over and over.
Exactly.

There's some things that should be 100% second nature for a coach. Some examples:

a. Other team is 1st and goal, 90 secs left in half/game and you have 3 timeouts. You call timeouts to give your team time to mount a scoring drive before the half. You decline 10 sec run offs, etc.

b. Coming out of a timeout nobody except those participating in the next play should leave the sideline and join the huddle.

c. QB should count the players in the huddle. If greater than 11, someone must run off the field before breaking the huddle

d. Do not jump offsides on 4th & less than 5 or have other dead ball infractions.

e. Do not run into the punter on 4th & less than 5.

You can argue about shotgun (bad) or under center in 3rd or 4th & 1. You can argue whether to try 3rd & 10 or 2nd & 20 gives you the best odds to get the ball back. You can argue a 50 yd FG wth a kicker whose long is 40 is not a good idea, deliberate over kicking the ball out of the endzone, rushing 3 on passing plays, punting on the 35, etc But some things a coach is responsible for making sure gets done right without question. When they don't you wonder how good a coach they are.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Exactly.

There's some things that should be 100% second nature for a coach. Some examples:

a. Other team is 1st and goal, 90 secs left in half/game and you have 3 timeouts. You call timeouts to give your team time to mount a scoring drive before the half. You decline 10 sec run offs, etc.

b. Coming out of a timeout nobody except those participating in the next play should leave the sideline and join the huddle.

c. QB should count the players in the huddle. If greater than 11, someone must run off the field before breaking the huddle

d. Do not jump offsides on 4th & less than 5 or have other dead ball infractions.

e. Do not run into the punter on 4th & less than 5.

You can argue about shotgun (bad) or under center in 3rd or 4th & 1. You can argue whether to try 3rd & 10 or 2nd & 20 gives you the best odds to get the ball back. You can argue a 50 yd FG wth a kicker whose long is 40 is not a good idea, deliberate over kicking the ball out of the endzone, rushing 3 on passing plays, punting on the 35, etc But some things a coach is responsible for making sure gets done right without question. When they don't you wonder how good a coach they are.
Again, no one is suggesting a pollyanna approach here. Yes, it was a sloppy, sloppy game with several coaching decisions that need review.

However, the guys battled for 60 minutes and won it in the 60th minute. Letā€™s enjoy the W and work on stuff this week.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry to thread jack for a moment, but yeah, it is. I stumbled into some at a store recently and bought a few bottles. You can get it at the Buffalo Trace Distillery gift shop sometimes, for MSRP ( I think something like $40). They rotate the premium stuff there. I went there a month ago, and they had Blanton's. Only 1 bottle each, so the wife and I each got one.
I found a really good rye, Broken Barrel Heresy Rye. Maybe we need a separate whiskey thread. The post game threads arenā€™t worth reading anymore.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Man I was gonna reply to this saying ā€œthere would be been at least sixteen more seconds still at the end of the play since that was after the TDā€ and then you go correct yourself instead? wtf thatā€™s not cool ;)

But to be honest I would also both believe Key that that was the plan and ALSO believe that he was unrealistic/optimistic about getting that done in the time remaining. :D

GT33

Helluva Engineer
54 blocked two defenders on the play.
He whiffed on the 3rd block?

Again, no one is suggesting a pollyanna approach here. Yes, it was a sloppy, sloppy game with several coaching decisions that need review.

However, the guys battled for 60 minutes and won it in the 60th minute. Letā€™s enjoy the W and work on stuff this week.
There were a few bitching suggesting nobody should complain about anything because we won. All I'm saying is we should look at every performance with a critical eye, that's what high performing teams do. There's a reason Satan won a lot of games besides money and his players being able to use crayons, he didn't let the small **** slide.

yellajacket20

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not going to pretend like we played a clean game and shouldn't have been up multiple scores at the end, but this is what we see from the big time schools all the time. They play poorly, they look like they are going to go down and then out of nowhere, they finally make a play to pull it out at the very end. It's exciting to be on the winning side of that.