UGA Postgame Discussion

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
The key to GT is similar to the key to many other similar tier programs which is having great QB play. No offense to TQM but tech has not had it recently. Yea it will be great for the defense to improve but the path for Tech to win 9 games is the QB spot.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Where is Dave Womack? He was giving up 30 a game with 5 star talent...Al Groh what's he up to? Previous DCs were bad hires that is on Pj or the administration for not allowing him to hire who he wanted. I like what Woody brings as being able to recruit a safety and move him to lb I like what he did at App State. I think you will see in year two a much improved defense

And in 4 years you'll be saying this was a bad hire and some story will come out about the admin being to blame for it.

Al Groh was a much more respected defensive mind than Woody. As far as where he is at, he's 74. He's retired.

Also, making safeties into LBs isn't what the defense needs. We don't need to get smaller.

I think you'll see the same thing we have seen for the past 10 years on defense.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think the mutts have gotten a firm commitment out of La Monroe yet.

Not sure why we have so many fraidy cats on here. We beat these morons 2 of last 5 years. If we could ever close the talent gap we’d be the mouth breathers half the time at least.

They kicked our butts this year. Order in the world will be restored after a few more years of futility trying to win the big one. At that point the barking idiots will resume their normal pattern of crapping themselves.
Agree w this in spades. I guess because FSU won 5 straight between 2013-2017 Florida should have ended the rivalry. Obtw FL won big today. Ending rivalries because you are going through a 2 game losing streak is just dumb

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You do realize we run an option offense right? Also, dual threat quarterbacks are all the rage right now. It’s hard enough to get great athletes to Tech without that.

Sure do, but I’m tired of watching absolutely an absolutely inept passing game.

Remember when CPJ was hired and he pointed to the Hawaii run n shoot that he used to run? Remember all the talk of Tracy Ham’s passing? When is any of that going to materialize at Tech.

Remember when CPJ was hired and he pointed to the Hawaii run n shoot that he used to run? Remember all the talk of Tracy Ham’s passing? When is any of that going to materialize at Tech.
Well, he thought it would materialize under Vad, but Vad lost his mojo after the BIG hit by UNCheat. And apparently he thought it would materialize under Jaylend, but his near-fatal injury put an end to that. It did materialize to some extent under Justin.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

He didn’t have APR to deal with with those teams. It’s just close to impossible to get the required athletes into Tech with APR. JT was Haleys comet.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Bama, Clemson, Uga, Ohio State
What do they have in common?
All very talented and loaded with athletes, sure. But they all have QBs that make plays at a high level.
Watching usc-e and Clemson, it looks just like our game on defense. Clemson has 42 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd qtr. the difference? The cocks have a QB, and he’s slanging that thing. Two missed 4th and goals, or it’s a real shootout. Michigan has more talent on the bench on D than our whole team, and OSU lit them up.
I’m proud of TM for stepping up and being our QB when we needed him to, but going forward we need high level QB play: running, reading, and yes throwing, to be great. We need another JT to get us over the hump. The coastal was awful all year, and the common theme is QB play. Besides a JC transfer in Perkins, there wasn’t really a standout QB to be feared in the coastal.
People forget how bad our 2009 and 2014 defenses could be. People also don’t look around the country and see other teams with better recruiting getting lit up on the regular.

Deleted member 2897

Obviously results on the actual field of play mean nothing.

Bowl games what a low standard.

What a life you live.

So the division with the most bowl eligible teams in the country is somehow worse than all the others who have lost many more games? Quality losses huh?

Bless your heart.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you get the impression that some here actually, truly believe, that a different QB would have made any difference this season or today?

Insanity.

With our current roster, a different QB probably wouldn't have made much difference. We might win either Duke or Pitt with TO, but not both. However, if either QB doesn't make much of difference, why not play the guy the will be here next year?

However, the real question should be "would we be better if we had recruited a different QB - a true dual threat QB?" I think the answer overwhelmingly is yes. That is assuming we actually begin to use some of the run and shoot concepts that we have been promised are a part of this offense.

A player like Kyler Murray would have made a tremendous difference this year. He is much quicker and faster than TQM (especially after his injury) and is light years better as a passer. With him we easily win against USF, Pitt, and Duke. We still lose to Clemson and ugag, but we at least hang around for a half.

And before we moan that we could never recruit that type of kid let's take a look.
His major of human relations stinks, but he is an all academic 2nd teamer in the big 12. He probably gets into Tech on a waiver. He could probably handle the curriculum if he wanted too.
He is a great baseball player who has already signed a 4.66 million dollar bonus. Our baseball team has multiple guys that now play in the majors.

So what really stops us from getting that type of player. Is it our limited majors? - that certainly plays a part. Murray probably has no desire to tackle management at GT if he can major in human relations at OU. But how much of it is that a dual threat guy like that will never seriously consider GT because we don't throw the ball?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Something's clearly wrong there if we aren't getting any bigger and stronger from freshman to senior year. Somehow Kirvonte looked (and played) like he actually put in work but if course he proceeds to tear his knee up.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Kyler Murray is from Texas so transferring to Oklahoma not only gave him a much bigger spotlight to shine and win big games but also go back to Texas a bunch so his friends and family can see him.

Also come on 95% of kids will prefer being the starting QB of Oklahoma as opposed to starting for a non-Clemson ACC team.