UGA Postgame Discussion

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You have to factor in takeaways as part as a defensive statistic. You can't say "oh defense sucked on 3rd down so it sucks overall." That's how it makes sense

Except the statement was made specifically about third down defense not about the defense as a whole.

Our defense as a whole was worse by most metrics. ypp, ppp, sacks, tfl. Prtty much everything but turnovers was worse. Maybe marginally but it doesn't do much to suggest that DC was the main issue like people wanted to believe. However there is no debate about third downs. We are much worse on third downs this year.

Well, partly because we were awful on first and second down last year, and we often gave up the score or first before third down.

We actually have fewer forced third downs this year than last and gave up more first downs as well. That is also on fewer total plays (through 11 games at least).

Maybe this will stop now. I will end with at least you said, "I don't know, of course...." It is fine for you to not like Roof's system. I have no problem with that, but trying to make this year's D sound better, when statistically it is worse in ALMOST every category, is my issue.
I told someone a couple of weeks ago that, in spite of stats, I have actually enjoyed watching the D this year, whereas I hated watching them last year. I know you disagree with me on this, and that's fine, but I just see more effort this year, even when the effort comes up short. And the fact that I see that effort tells me that we are improving.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I told someone a couple of weeks ago that, in spite of stats, I have actually enjoyed watching the D this year, whereas I hated watching them last year. I know you disagree with me on this, and that's fine, but I just see more effort this year, even when the effort comes up short. And the fact that I see that effort tells me that we are improving.

We disagree. I enjoyed watching our guys last year and this year - thought they were giving all they had for both DC's. I think that is the kind of guys we have, although low on speed and size right now.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
I doubt there is going to be a large uptick in booster money if CPJ is gone. If donors were willing to bankroll a top-tier coaching staff then Paul would have been fired last year. From the outside, they seem fine with 7-9 wins a season with kids graduating and no academic scandal.

I imagine that is a discussion the AD has had with prospective donors before to see how much are they willing to invest in a new coaching staff. My guess that number is not too impressive compared to other programs.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Except the statement was made specifically about third down defense not about the defense as a whole.

Our defense as a whole was worse by most metrics. ypp, ppp, sacks, tfl. Prtty much everything but turnovers was worse. Maybe marginally but it doesn't do much to suggest that DC was the main issue like people wanted to believe. However there is no debate about third downs. We are much worse on third downs this year.

We actually have fewer forced third downs this year than last and gave up more first downs as well. That is also on fewer total plays (through 11 games at least).

Yeah year one of an entirely new scheme. I'll take it that in year one we weren't far off from last year in total defensive stats.

We disagree. I enjoyed watching our guys last year and this year - thought they were giving all they had for both DC's. I think that is the kind of guys we have, although low on speed and size right now.
I probably shouldn't have said more "effort." You are right; they showed effort both years. The difference for me is that I just thought they were more fun to watch this year. Maybe excitement would be a better word for it than effort.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
We've been this level through multiple schemes and multiple DCs. But this time....

Where is Dave Womack? He was giving up 30 a game with 5 star talent...Al Groh what's he up to? Previous DCs were bad hires that is on Pj or the administration for not allowing him to hire who he wanted. I like what Woody brings as being able to recruit a safety and move him to lb I like what he did at App State. I think you will see in year two a much improved defense

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I said it after last weeks win, we’re gonna have to be able to throw or we’ll get demolished. We’ve been one dimensional since JT and we’ve actually haven’t been terrible but against the Clemson Uga, usually Miami and now Duke we have to be able to pass. With the exception to Duke they are way too talented to be able to pin their ears back to stop the run. We can’t ever expect to compete with Clemson or Uga unless we can pass.

That’s my biggest knock on CPJ. When we do pass everyone knows it’s coming and our plays look like we drew them up in the dirt. Also our QBs and OL aren’t developed at all for a passing attack. He has to know this and hasn’t addressed it.
Our passing qb got hurt in the preseason.

I think one thing we can agree on is that we need bigger, stronger, faster players on defense. Roof seemed to be a pretty good recruiter, although I'm not sure we ever saw the dividends (not entirely his fault). Time will tell what kind of recruiter Woody is.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Interestingly, I haven’t seen the annual call to drop the Tech-Georgia game from our schedule...
I don’t think the mutts have gotten a firm commitment out of La Monroe yet.

Not sure why we have so many fraidy cats on here. We beat these morons 2 of last 5 years. If we could ever close the talent gap we’d be the mouth breathers half the time at least.

They kicked our butts this year. Order in the world will be restored after a few more years of futility trying to win the big one. At that point the barking idiots will resume their normal pattern of crapping themselves.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Where is Dave Womack? He was giving up 30 a game with 5 star talent...Al Groh what's he up to? Previous DCs were bad hires that is on Pj or the administration for not allowing him to hire who he wanted. I like what Woody brings as being able to recruit a safety and move him to lb I like what he did at App State. I think you will see in year two a much improved defense

Maybe just teaching them to tackle would be a huge improvement.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My takeaway from this game is that UGA is currently at one of the high points in the history of their program. There isn’t much we can do to compete with them when they are playing and recruiting like this. We can talk about all the things we need to do to get closer to their level, but in reality, we need them to come back down to earth a bit if we want to compete.