UGA Postgame Discussion

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So, understand that I'm a UVa fan here, so I come with a little different perspective, but:

What makes you people think you are entitled to anything more than slam average? Is there something special in the GT water where logic and basics go out the water and everybody is above average in everything?

If you took a school not named Georgia Tech, and gave it the exact same situation as Georgia Tech, how good would you EXPECT them to be?

Pros: Cool City, Fertile Recruiting Area, Storied History (several generations ago).
Cons: Cruddy Academic situation, unattractive majors, CLEAR 2nd level team in your own state, reputation as a boring/lame place to go to school, marginal facilities, marginal salary for coaching and recruiting

Essentially, you're Vanderbilt, or you're UVa.

So why do you believe that you're not? Why do you believe that "9 wins a year at a minimum" is a reasonable thing to say?

I PUT FORTH: you have been spoiled rotten with good coaches, going back to Bobby Ross. This is not because of anything your school particularly has to offer. You have just made a series of good hires. This has led you to believe that there is something at GT that there is not, and my strong belief is that with one crappy hire, you could EASILY be where UVA or Vanderbilt has been for the last 20 years.

You act like finishing .500 in the ACC is some given, and that going to a bowl is no accomplishment. I believe you are wrong, and I almost wish you would fire Johnson, and hire some scrub, just so you could see how unspecial your program really is.

You hear people talk about a businesses "fundamentals", and how sometimes you can outperform fundamentals, but usually not. GT's fundamentals are nothing special, and you should be GRATEFUL to be outperforming them for as long as you have.
We aren’t close to UVA, we are smack dab in the middle of the biggest and most popular growing city in America. We have a rich tradition that involves co-founding the SEC, winning multiple National Championships, producing countless All-Americans and NFL Hall of Famers. Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant, and I honestly believe the institute is a couple of tough decisions away from brining GT back into the national spotlight. Your comments and opinions as a UVA fan are humorous, you really don’t know what you’re talking about if you think the stats you Google about what GT has done in the past are relative to what it’s capable of accomplishing in the future. Before you continue to slander and diminish GT take a step back and reevaluate your program. You just had your best season in years and that season, based on your evaluation of the history of our program is an AVERAGE season here. The want and desire for success for Georgia Tech football has nothing to do with the past, it’s about moving forward and progressing to heights we haven’t reached before. The next hire Georgia Tech makes wont be to clean up the program it will be to take it to the next level. So please never compare UVA to GT again, cause the difference is for the past 20-30 years GT has handicapped ITSELF and has still managed way more success than UVA. Also one more thing, as bad as Tech has seemed this year, a year where fans are calling for the firing of the head coach, GT still beat UVA.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We aren’t close to UVA, we are smack dab in the middle of the biggest and most popular growing city in America. We have a rich tradition that involves co-founding the SEC, winning multiple National Championships, producing countless All-Americans and NFL Hall of Famers. Georgia Tech is a sleeping giant, and I honestly believe the institute is a couple of tough decisions away from brining GT back into the national spotlight. Your comments and opinions as a UVA fan are humorous, you really don’t know what you’re talking about if you think the stats you Google about what GT has done in the past are relative to what it’s capable of accomplishing in the future. Before you continue to slander and diminish GT take a step back and reevaluate your program. You just had your best season in years and that season, based on your evaluation of the history of our program is an AVERAGE season here. The want and desire for success for Georgia Tech football has nothing to do with the past, it’s about moving forward and progressing to heights we haven’t reached before. The next hire Georgia Tech makes wont be to clean up the program it will be to take it to the next level. So please never compare UVA to GT again, cause the difference is for the past 20-30 years GT has handicapped ITSELF and has still managed way more success than UVA. Also one more thing, as bad as Tech has seemed this year, a year where fans are calling for the firing of the head coach, GT still beat UVA.

Your rant is off base. You are actually making some of the same points @ilovetheoption is even if you two are focusing on separate “self inflicted handicaps.”

Maybe Tech’s next head coach will be the most charismatic coach to ever set foot on campus and able to reel in blue chippers. If so maybe we improve. But if the next guy is a step down from where we are currently....get used to consistent 3 win seasons. Because almost everything Tech dies is bottom tier in the ACC...much less the SEC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The run and shoot concepts don't exist. Pop Warner teams have more sophisticated route trees. If you can't even implement a full playbook for our running packages because its too complicated for our QB's, how can we ever change up our passing game. We don't even have a two minute offense.

Smh. Yes we do and we’ve driven the field late before half’s and before end of games multiple times. Just because it’s not run from the gun.....nevermind. I have a nearby brick wall I’d just as soon talk to.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Some of you guys are being a little too “chicken little” over here. We could have easily beaten USF and Pitt which would have put us in the ACCCG. We could have easily lost to UVA and Miami and been 5-7. This is how most programs are. A handful of plays make or break a season.

The last two seasons we’ve had FIVE losses where we had double digit leads in the second half. My point is, we’ve been competitive. You guys are acting like there’s a hundred teams better than us. The only teams who have straight beaten us from the getgo the last two seasons are Clemson and UGA and yes, that sucks because they are our biggest rivals, but NO ONE outside of Alabama has consistently competed with them the last two years. It sucks our two biggest rivals are two of three strongest programs right now, but it is, what it is.

Now, do we need to find a way to win those types of games like the five I’ve mentioned? Yes, we do! I think the defense is on the right track, but they need to get better. Offensively, we have to be more efficient passing. We don’t need to scheme anything differently, nor do we need to pass more, just more efficiently. That’s not just on the QB.
That’s on the WR’s running better routes and getting separation. That’s on the offensive line giving the QB time. And yes, the QB has to sling it. And most of all, the coaches need to figure out how to make the guys more successful at these things.

We lost our best skill position player to injury in Week 2 this year. If we can get better QB play(all three QBs have potential), plus getting Benson back, I don’t think it’s crazy far fetched to think the offense could be signficantly better next year. If the defense also improves as it should in Year 2 under Woody, we should be able to compete for a Coastal Championship. Is it realistic to expect us to compete with Clemson and UGA next year? Probably not, but there’s maybe five or six teams who can say that. Again, I know they are our two biggest rivals and losing to them SUCKS, but Clemson is about to be in the playoff 4 out of 5 years and UGA could easily be in it two straight years. We gotta focus on winning these coastal games that we CAN win first.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Many have mentioned the blocking and tackling issues, which were obvious, but I’m still trying to understand what our game plans were on both offense and defense yesterday.

This was a total team loss for sure, which includes the coaching staff.

Georgia played their best game and we played our worst...this is what happens. Pretty sad.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Many have mentioned the blocking and tackling issues, which were obvious, but I’m still trying to understand what our game plans were on both offense and defense yesterday.

This was a total team loss for sure, which includes the coaching staff.

Georgia played their best game and we played our worst...this is what happens. Pretty sad.
All plans fail and look like the problem when your players are completely over matched physically and athletically by a team that is coached well. Men vs boys.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
At least someone else gets the problem.
The past 10 or so years have really shown that their are two tiers of Fbs ball. The Clemson's , Ugas etc have very little competition these days . Just look at UGAs and Clemson's schedules from their perspective. Maybe just 1 hard game for them a season. That's not even competitive where as at least in the lower levels of fbs where we are there is some competition.
There are two classes of college football, and like it or not , the DWAGS have moved into the upper class - with Clemson, Bama , Ohio State and a few others. With the hiring of Smart and tremendous upgrade in recruiting they are poised to be dominant over us for YEARS , if not DECADES. We keep beating ourselves up over losing to the DWAGs as if that is our measuring stick. We are not even in the same universe as them anymore, IMO. Do I like it that way ? No , I hate it like H__L ! But that is college football today.
It is ALL BUSINESS, TV Exposure , uniform contracts , academic waivers , fundraising , full stadiums and PROFITABILITY. Academics have become diluted in the name of furthering the school brand. We , like some others , are trying to compete , with one hand tied behind our back. We want to be highly competitive with the Dwags AND maintain our high academic standards at the same time. That will NEVER happen in today's college game, IMO.
But , we should be MORE consistently successful in the ACC than we currently are. Our goal should be to go to the ACCCG EVERY year, and even beat Clemson once in a while. 9 wins a year at a minimum , bowl game very year , better bowl games every other year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
All plans fail and look like the problem when your players are completely over matched physically and athletically by a team that is coached well. Men vs boys.
Sure, I get that. But usually I can’t tell what the plan was...or coaches tend to try to adjust in some way or another. Didn’t see much of that on either side yesterday.

I’m not going to watch it again to verify, but I feel like we rushed 3 on most passing downs and played a very passive zone most of the time. I would have liked to have seen a little more pressure. Fromm had all day to throw...bad plan against that guy.

On offense...sheesh, I’m not even sure where to start. I would have liked to have seen Oliver get a chance in that other package though.

Jacket Bracket

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree. It felt like a middle weight boxer trying to fight in the heavyweight division. Men vs boys. Not a knock on our players, but the strength and conditioning NEED to be prioritized.