UGA Postgame Discussion

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
A lot of our guys are young or don’t have the frame to add weight. Speed is natural, you can tweak it with training, but not make a slow guy fast.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
However, the real question should be "would we be better if we had recruited a different QB - a true dual threat QB?" I think the answer overwhelmingly is yes. That is assuming we actually begin to use some of the run and shoot concepts that we have been promised are a part of this offense.
The run and shoot concepts don't exist. Pop Warner teams have more sophisticated route trees. If you can't even implement a full playbook for our running packages because its too complicated for our QB's, how can we ever change up our passing game. We don't even have a two minute offense.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
FWIW we are underdogs in this day and age of football. It doesn’t mean we can’t be competitive, but it does mean that we sometimes have days like today.

The things that bother me are why we take so long to develop a QB, why we are always sluggish to start the year, why our LBs are so sluggish and don’t read their keys well, and why we can’t tackle.

The offense plays a part in the QB development, but other programs with complex schemes seem to develop their QBs faster. I think with the experience we had returning we should have been able to start faster and win a few more earlier in the year.

Some people say our offense is a gimmick, but people say that about Leach, and Spurrier’s offense too. Well, they all work well to me, so I am good with running a unique scheme to have a good offense.

People often talk about not passing, or the lack of protection. Our scheme is simply not designed to give the QB a pocket. We use turn back protection a lot, but in reality that is hard to execute from a 3 pt stance and wide splits. It’s great for running and play action, but obvious passing downs really need to be slide protected or go to a different stance. This fit JT because he was short and we rolled him out a lot. He could also burn you if you over pursued. Vad struggled because he needed a pocket that we couldn’t give him. The same will be true with any similar QB. We need a burner with a good arm to have a passing game, or a Nesbitt that can out man a LB one on one. Both are tough finds.

As far as the defense goes, I see a lot of progress that most don’t see. CNW had our guys in the right place a lot today, but we missed tackles by the dozens. Having 51 on the slot guy and having outside leverage on one of the UGA touchdowns being the exception. I think we will continue to see progress under Nate if we stay the course. We need to seriously evaluate how we are teaching angles and tackling techniques though. This may require some staff changes.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are two classes of college football, and like it or not , the DWAGS have moved into the upper class - with Clemson, Bama , Ohio State and a few others. With the hiring of Smart and tremendous upgrade in recruiting they are poised to be dominant over us for YEARS , if not DECADES. We keep beating ourselves up over losing to the DWAGs as if that is our measuring stick. We are not even in the same universe as them anymore, IMO. Do I like it that way ? No , I hate it like H__L ! But that is college football today.
It is ALL BUSINESS, TV Exposure , uniform contracts , academic waivers , fundraising , full stadiums and PROFITABILITY. Academics have become diluted in the name of furthering the school brand. We , like some others , are trying to compete , with one hand tied behind our back. We want to be highly competitive with the Dwags AND maintain our high academic standards at the same time. That will NEVER happen in today's college game, IMO.
But , we should be MORE consistently successful in the ACC than we currently are. Our goal should be to go to the ACCCG EVERY year, and even beat Clemson once in a while. 9 wins a year at a minimum , bowl game very year , better bowl games every other year.
I think you get to the crux of the problem. We need to decide what the minimum acceptable consistent level is and them make sure we have the resources to achieve that. This needs to be communicated by tstan and then the fans need to follow through.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Should we expect to beat UGA usually? No. Should the game usually be somewhat competitive, at least for a little while? Yes. I think that is reasonably acceptable. The other rivalry game blowouts today were back and forth for a bit before one team pulled away completely. Ours was maybe the only one where one team was never in it. If UGA didn't take the foot off the gas this was going to be one of the ugliest losses in the rivalry's history. One of our better seasons and we couldn't touch UGA. We should expect better than that and I personally don't think that is unreasonable or out of touch with reality.

Should we expect to beat UGA usually? No. Should the game usually be somewhat competitive, at least for a little while? Yes. I think that is reasonably acceptable. The other rivalry game blowouts today were back and forth for a bit before one team pulled away completely. Ours was maybe the only one where one team was never in it. If UGA didn't take the foot off the gas this was going to be one of the ugliest losses in the rivalry's history. One of our better seasons and we couldn't touch UGA. We should expect better than that and I personally don't think that is unreasonable or out of touch with reality.
We should definitely want better than that, but in light of the state of college football as it exists today, I don't think we should ever actually expect better than that. I think that within the next 5 years, the entire landscape of college football is going to change, and Tech, along with the vast majority of other schools is going to be left behind.

Animal02

Banned
We should definitely want better than that, but in light of the state of college football as it exists today, I don't think we should ever actually expect better than that. I think that within the next 5 years, the entire landscape of college football is going to change, and Tech, along with the vast majority of other schools is going to be left behind.
The stupid playoff pushed by ESPN is ruining college football even quicker......all other bowl games are meaningless, the $$$$ spent per player is ridiculous.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They have a great recruiting class. I think they have 12 (appropriate) of the top 30 recruits.
In my mind the logic of hyper complicated run only offense is waning. I had hoped the ol could at least kind of hang w the 2 top teams.
Till we are more of a pass centric offense that GOES over the 5 star do and lb we will only win on a fluke.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Well some here may not have all the knowledge that some on here think they have maybe the smart ones can teach us duma—— on here about football!
I put one person on ignore from this thread but I’m going to hang on to you just so I can have a good laugh.

Lv20gt is close as well. Only comes out when things are going wrong.

Usual bs in this thread-accepting mediocrity, we need to pass(no qb could have passed today, we were getting blown the **** up), we make more money but don’t donate enough....

It’s unfortunate but it’s the haves and everyone else—Alabama, Clemson and UGA have better second teams than 95% of other P5 teams starters. It’s not going to change for a while so what are you going to do? Quit watching college football?

IIWII

Jmonty71

Banned
Seeing the score, I am rather glad I took the wife camping for her birthday. Otherwise , I would been cussing at the TV for 4 hours. Sounds like we fumbled the game away? I was hoping, we would have our one complete game, with no mistakes, against Ugag. It seems, we didn't get that effort, this year. Maybe, that means we upset 2 teams, next year? Either way, enjoy the Military or Independence bowl and do better next year .

Seeing the score, I am rather glad I took the wife camping for her birthday. Otherwise , I would been cussing at the TV for 4 hours. Sounds like we fumbled the game away? I was hoping, we would have our one complete game, with no mistakes, against Ugag. It seems, we didn't get that effort, this year. Maybe, that means we upset 2 teams, next year? Either way, enjoy the Military or Independence bowl and do better next year .
If by "fumbled the game away," you mean we got beat because we fumbled the ball, then no, we never fumbled or turned it over at all. We were just outmatched.