UGA Postgame Discussion

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
And some how with the 30 and less crowd, they just can't get past this and think we can constantly compete. And consider, that is Dodd, Carson, Fulcher, Rodgers, Curry, Ross, Lewis, O'Leary, Gailey, and CPJ. O'leary and CPJ have 6 of those 14.

But FIVE of those hires were made because we had to hire a GT man.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Any post game presser from CPJ or highlights from that ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Basically mention UGA is really good and Tech played awful. Mention the Oliver false start was due to 3 members of the O-line thinking Oliver said freeze and not 3 for the snap count.

Other than just mention how bad the offense performed and that they need to eat more clock. The reason he went for all those 4th downs was to keep TOP up. 2nd half the game was over but he was happy the team did not quit.

The package with JG was something they worked on but had no time to run it in the first half. Towards the end CPJ says he wish he could have done more to help the kids out.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I fell like the adding majors/BOR/academic standards thing is like fixing a leaky faucet by turning off the water supply to the town. It will work, but there are like 50 things we can do before that option. We have actually improved our program every year since TStan has been here. We redid the front lobby, got new locker rooms, new uniforms and branding including a trademark color, and added recruiting staff. We let go of our old DC who the old money boosters absolutely were gaga over for some reason and made an exciting hire. We have to keep investing in the stuff we control. 2019 has a new $10million broadcast facility opening and the ACC network launching, but we need to do another round of fundraising and see if we can get additional support staff. 2020 is the big year with the Edge Center renovation, but we have to keep doing small things along the way and if that isn't enough then I think it is the right time to discuss wholesale changes to how the school is run.

At a certain point if you are not getting it done, in anything in life, you have to look at yourself and ask if you are actually doing everything you can before saying its someone else's fault. The BOR controls a lot of things, but we can still be successful. Lets keep making bowls, keep recruiting like we have been the last two years, and keep investing in ourselves. We are in a massive hole and it is going to take a few years before we dig out.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
All true. But the sad thing is, if we had won today, we wouldn’t be talking about degrees or lifetime earnings, but just about football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I get tired of the “well at least we graduate this amount of players and have this degree and that degree”

Maybe it’s because I didn’t go to Tech and just a sidewalk fan, or because I’m young but I’m not a fan of Tech for academics. I’m a fan of football. I’m super stoked that most of Tech’s students get a degree and graduate early, life is much more than football. But damnnnn son, can we at least look competitive consistently? Win some big games? It’s just frustrating when we lose or get embarrassed people revert to academics and such to highlight.

I fell like the adding majors/BOR/academic standards thing is like fixing a leaky faucet by turning off the water supply to the town. It will work, but there are like 50 things we can do before that option. We have actually improved our program every year since TStan has been here. We redid the front lobby, got new locker rooms, new uniforms and branding including a trademark color, and added recruiting staff. We let go of our old DC who the old money boosters absolutely were gaga over for some reason and made an exciting hire. We have to keep investing in the stuff we control. 2019 has a new $10million broadcast facility opening and the ACC network launching, but we need to do another round of fundraising and see if we can get additional support staff. 2020 is the big year with the Edge Center renovation, but we have to keep doing small things along the way and if that isn't enough then I think it is the right time to discuss wholesale changes to how the school is run.

At a certain point if you are not getting it done, in anything in life, you have to look at yourself and ask if you are actually doing everything you can before saying its someone else's fault. The BOR controls a lot of things, but we can still be successful. Lets keep making bowls, keep recruiting like we have been the last two years, and keep investing in ourselves. We are in a massive hole and it is going to take a few years before we dig out.

I like your sentiment here but the only thing I will say is we are not in a massive hole. If we win our bowl game we are 8-5 and in most years that isn't bad.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

That's nice. All those things are "improvements" that the other programs that are boatracing us have already made years ago and then some. None of that is going to make us 'Notre Dame', assuming that's what you're shooting for. It isn't going to make us competitive with UGAg and Clemson either.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I have a question about the block below the waist penalty against us. The LOS was the 25, if I remember correctly, and the block was at the 23. Isn't it supposed to be legal within 5 yards of the LOS?

Also, I would make the observation that our DL is way too small to compete with their OL. They averaged 327 and we averaved 271. You do the math.

I had a ticket down on the 20 yard line in the lower section, but found a seat in the "Tech section" in the upper deck in the corner for the first half. Fewest Tech fans I've ever seen in Sanford Stadium. There was hardly any Tech section at all up there.

Pretty low class the way their band kept stepping on our band. Every time they started to play, the Ugaggers would start playing about two seconds later. They did it every time.
That’s every year unfortunately

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I get tired of the “well at least we graduate this amount of players and have this degree and that degree”

Maybe it’s because I didn’t go to Tech and just a sidewalk fan, or because I’m young but I’m not a fan of Tech for academics. I’m a fan of football. I’m super stoked that most of Tech’s students get a degree and graduate early, life is much more than football. But damnnnn son, can we at least look competitive consistently? Win some big games? It’s just frustrating when we lose or get embarrassed people revert to academics and such to highlight.

I'm in the same boat, but you and I have to recognize: the people who matter are a fan of Tech for academics, and they don't particularly care about Tech football.

Football is like anything else, all things being equal, the guy with the most resources wins most of the time. GT football does not get the resources to compete with schools like Clemson and UGA, and so it doesn't.

GT football gets the resources to compete with UVa, and VT, and Duke, and so it does.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
This was about what I expected from the defense. Fromm is no joke.

Offensively, I don’t think we were as physically whipped as it appeared. I don’t know that UGA’s D significantly out-athleted Da U’s. Lots of mental mistakes and missed reads.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
GT just got their asses handed to them and you think going 8&5 against mediocre teams ain’t bad ? What has happened to GT fans being ok with mediocrity?

Your fans provide a mediocre environment. Your administration pays mediocre salaries. You have mediocre facilities. You have been ok with mediocrity for a long time, you just have had a series of coaches good enough to overcome the mediocrity they were handed.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No. Somebody needs to get to work demanding equal representation on the BOR. I don't know how many currently serve on the board, but I do know that there is only one ONE Tech man on there.

If there were 30 “Tech Men” on the BoR, Peterson would not try to get them to do one thing to “help” our football team. He would try to get exceptions for him to hire more people that steal from the taxpayers.

If there were 40 more “Tech Men” on the BoR, CPJ would not change a single thing he is doing in our football program now. He would not recruit better because the better kids STILL would not want to play in this system and he would still have Sewak, and he would still recruit guys that better programs do not want, and his recruiting success would still be signing kids that had committed to DII or non P5 schools.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I like your sentiment here but the only thing I will say is we are not in a massive hole. If we win our bowl game we are 8-5 and in most years that isn't bad.

Personally, I feel like "the program" and "the team" are different, but very closely related entities. We have an ok to good team this year, but the program was in shambles before TStan. To me, a good program can have a bad team (but usually not multiple bad teams in a row) like FSU and a bad program can have good teams every now and then. The best programs continue to invest in themselves with facilities, staff, coaches, etc. We aren't going to compete in the arms race with the best of the best. But we shouldn't be near the bottom either like we have been. If GT can find a way to go bowling while having a support staff the size of the better G5 programs then think about where we could be if we played on the same level as Vanderbilt or Kentucky as a program.

northgajacket

Banned
If there were 30 “Tech Men” on the BoR, Peterson would not try to get them to do one thing to “help” our football team. He would try to get exceptions for him to hire more people that steal from the taxpayers.

If there were 40 more “Tech Men” on the BoR, CPJ would not change a single thing he is doing in our football program now. He would not recruit better because the better kids STILL would not want to play in this system and he would still have Sewak, and he would still recruit guys that better programs do not want, and his recruiting success would still be signing kids that had committed to DII or non P5 schools.

Don’t forget FCS schools.