UGA Postgame Discussion

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting matters. Even when we try to level the playing field with Gimmicks, it’s not a quick fix. Paul got his **** handed to him today.

The tough thing there is that when you look at the Top 50 players in our state they are all going to UGA, Tenn, Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Ohio State, etc. I really don't have an answer for how you compete against that. It would take a ton of money and resources to attempt to cast a net nationally over the few great players who value a degree from a school like Tech.

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
We happen to be in the state of GA so a 7 or 8 win season for us feels like a losing one when everyone is comparing us to a program that has no limitations. Lets keep things in perspective tho...there are a ton of college programs that would love to be as relevant as Georgia Tech has been over the years. We need to focus on Tech as hard as it is...giving money to the program is really the only thing that will change things. If you are not doing that you should be if you can.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
It's funny how we as fans throw around all kinds of strategems (throw the slant! Run the sweep! Blitz more!) when football ultimately boils down to just blocking and tackling.

We looked horrendous on both sides. I think it was Fromm's first pass of the game - short hitch and we missed a tackle that turned into a big gain - I facepalmed and hoped it would end there.

I had the same reaction. I high throw by Fromm that left his WR midsection vulnerable. Could’ve possible set the tone for the game a big hit there.

I pretty sure i counted 20 missed tackles in the 1st half alone

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Did anybody really expect anything different? If you even have a passing glance at the college football landscape, we are well out of our league against a team like UGA. Recruiting matters, marketing matters... Tech will be Tech until somebody who understands this takes the reins.

We are not a football school.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The 4 coaches before Johnson were able to recruit better than Johnson. I’m just stunned as to why we throw up our hands and say we can’t do it anymore because one coach with an unappealing offense and personality isn’t able to recruit. I know we can’t recruit like uga but I certainly think we can do better than this.
I think at least part of it is that none of the 4 coaches before Johnson had to deal with the same academic requirements that Johnson does. At a school like yours, that matters.

I think it's time you were honest with yourselves: GT isn't willing to do what it takes to compete with a school like UGA. Not financially, not academically, not structurally, it's just not.

UGA is going to do what it takes to be a national power in football. That's the end of that sentence. Whatever it takes, UGA is going to do that, and GT simply is not. I genuinely believe it doesn't matter if you have Paul Johnson, or Bronco Mendenhall, or Kirby Smart, or some schlub off the streets. GT simply doesn't care as much about football as UGA does, and it likely never will.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's the truth, and that lack of support from the university is going to show up on the field way more times than it's not.

4-Color-Graduate-Buzz.gif

Deleted member 2897

I think at least part of it is that none of the 4 coaches before Johnson had to deal with the same academic requirements that Johnson does. At a school like yours, that matters.

I think it's time you were honest with yourselves: GT isn't willing to do what it takes to compete with a school like UGA. Not financially, not academically, not structurally, it's just not.

UGA is going to do what it takes to be a national power in football. That's the end of that sentence. Whatever it takes, UGA is going to do that, and GT simply is not. I genuinely believe it doesn't matter if you have Paul Johnson, or Bronco Mendenhall, or Kirby Smart, or some schlub off the streets. GT simply doesn't care as much about football as UGA does, and it likely never will.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's the truth, and that lack of support from the university is going to show up on the field way more times than it's not.

And that's one of many reasons why our graduates make 50% more money than theirs do at every point along their respective careers. Cumulative earnings that when saved and invested at moderate returns add up to close to $1 Million over the course of employment. They don't really care about any of that. They just want to win a football game.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
We happen to be in the state of GA so a 7 or 8 win season for us feels like a losing one when everyone is comparing us to a program that has no limitations. Lets keep things in perspective tho...there are a ton of college programs that would love to be as relevant as Georgia Tech has been over the years. We need to focus on Tech as hard as it is...giving money to the program is really the only thing that will change things. If you are not doing that you should be if you can.

Building attendance and
The 4 coaches before Johnson were able to recruit better than Johnson. I’m just stunned as to why we throw up our hands and say we can’t do it anymore because one coach with an unappealing offense and personality isn’t able to recruit. I know we can’t recruit like uga but I certainly think we can do better than this.

I am not throwing my hands up but just pointing out that with the lack of attendance/atmosphere/ dollars and all of the big time programs that have these things I don't have much of a solution. If there were one we would see other schools with similar resources getting it done. This year the playoff teams in the hunt are Alabama, UGA, Clemson,Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma. No Cinderella stories.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Well said. Too bad that it is true. Even the fans that complain a lot don't help $upport he GTAA. $$$$$ will allow not only additional recruiting staff but allows up to hire coaches.

slugboy

Staff member
OK

=== the bad ===

Only so many games like that you can sit through and not want to change something. Clemson might have been a bigger beat down in terms getting out-atheleted, but this was in the neighborhood.

The USF, Pitt, and Duke games show more of what we need to fix than this one. Our first step is to get better than those three. On defense, we didn’t tackle well or get off blocks against comparable athletes. We were slow to react and act.

On offense, in our losses, we didn’t get to the second level to make blocks. So, we didn’t get a big OL that would drive block, and we weren’t fast enough to take out the linebackers and safeties. The rules have made it harder to cut block, and we aren’t cut blocking well. Over the last four years, i don’t think our blocking has been that effective. When we drive block, I see people get moved. I think we need to rethink how we block.

I’m watching Auburn- Alabama. It’s at a faster speed than we play.

Today, they were just faster than us on the lines. (If I’m wrong, convince me). There were other issues, but when you have two or three players in the backfield, you aren’t getting a bunch of yards.

In 2009, CPJ was outwitting opponents. It’s been years since I saw him do that.

=== the good ===

The team could have quit. They hung in the entire game.
Glad to see the offense score in the second half, and the KO return. Great run.

TaQuan is a slippery player. Our backs managed to make something out of nothing a few times.

=== the end ===

Thanks to the seniors and all the players. Go win the bowl game and get better for next season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk