Tulane Postgame

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That was against more plays. Duke's D did better in yds/play than we, I think.

We also probably played a deeper bench though.
Yes. On all counts. My point is that it is not like we did worse on defense than Duke. Much I could say to illustrate that point but I was just trying to put the performance in perspective.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
On athleticism of A-backs, liked that JT did not want people to forget about Snoop. Confess that was the first time I learned his team nickname.

Great to hear again this year how much love these players have for each other. Not one single guy brags about his own ability but rather points to the other 10 guys making their job easier. I do not believe that is false modesty. These guys have really bought into the system.

I think I am not the only one who believes the defensive line is playing much better. Guys int he secondary certainly believe it. And, contrary to some, I saw the pocket collapsing a lot on the Tulane quarterback. There doesn't have to be a sack or even an impending tackle for a quarterback to start to hurry his timing.

Can't wait to see what CPJ and CTR have been holding back for Notre Dame. TV audience may be shocked at what unfolds.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1 TO and 2 penalties, too many? Goodness the bar is being set way high! Tech was plus 2 on TOs yesterday, plus 4 in 2 games, and in 2 games they've had 2, repeat 2, penalties. :D
And did anybody else notice that Tech's first penalty of the season was actually a terrible call by the refs? The receiver was pushing off the defender and engaging in hand to hand combat because the defender actually had better position on the ball. But the call went against the defender. Our secondary is reading routes well and putting themselves in good position pretty consistently.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Talking about MJ:
"We moved him to a back because we knew we would have young guys there and we thought he was a good athlete. There's a couple of those a backs, truthfully, that will be at QB next spring."
T Marshall?
Edit: per Cuse's postgame

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Sorry didn't see this was already discussed in another thread. It was just a weird thing to hear in a postgame presser.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys who impressed me on offense:
1. Searcy- heard good things but while watching the spring game wasn't expecting a lot out of him this year. Great athlete with really good and deceptive speed, also a great reciever. Could takeover as our go to AB over Snoddy. Snoddy is good but not very athletic in receiving pitches or making guys miss.

2. Taqaon Marshall- very good athlete and one guy that I underrated tremendously in our freshman class. I think him and Searcy will be our standard at AB for years to come, despite all the other great talents we have on the sideline.

3. Matthew Jordan- Glad he showed that he can be effective and is a better option QB than I thought.

4. Trey Klock- not 100% but it seemed as if he was the main guy at RG and done a good job.

Defense:

1. Tyler Macordes- made a lot of good plays and got pressure on the QB

2. Adam Gotsis- others have mentioned but idk if JHD is freeing Gotsis up more but he has really turned it up. JHD hasn't stood out at all but if he is helping Gotsis reak havoc than that works too.

3. Rod Rook-Chungong- good player that is very solid. Thought he was a big drop off from Gamble but has proven me wrong.
I watched the game, especially jhd, he plays his positon well, which is nose tackle, the same position green played last year, he's been double teamed almost every play, not sure by design or just alignment, he didn't get many one in one blocking. I think he did the job the scheme was designed to do, be strong at the attack, whether pass or run. Just my two cents,

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
For any you old enough to remember, Patrick Skov is a throwback to Mark Van Eeghen and Rocky Bleier, both guys who rushed for thousands of yards as NFL fullbacks in the 1970s. He doesn't have the speed or feet required to play TB, but it is virtually impossible to prevent him from getting 3 or 4 yards running straight ahead, something that is valued in our offense which puts a premium on grinding the clock down and limiting opponent possessions.

On athleticism of A-backs, liked that JT did not want people to forget about Snoop. Confess that was the first time I learned his team nickname.

Great to hear again this year how much love these players have for each other. Not one single guy brags about his own ability but rather points to the other 10 guys making their job easier. I do not believe that is false modesty. These guys have really bought into the system.

I think I am not the only one who believes the defensive line is playing much better. Guys int he secondary certainly believe it. And, contrary to some, I saw the pocket collapsing a lot on the Tulane quarterback. There doesn't have to be a sack or even an impending tackle for a quarterback to start to hurry his timing.

Can't wait to see what CPJ and CTR have been holding back for Notre Dame. TV audience may be shocked at what unfolds.

Justin Thomas was elated at the success that MJ was enjoying. The long pass, and the long run. Indicative of an overall esprit de corps not seen on a lot of teams. I know this may be blasphemy, but I think as the year grinds on, we are going to see that Tulane was not as pathetic as we made them appear. They have some players and they made some plays against us. We are pretty good.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
And did anybody else notice that Tech's first penalty of the season was actually a terrible call by the refs? The receiver was pushing off the defender and engaging in hand to hand combat because the defender actually had better position on the ball. But the call went against the defender. Our secondary is reading routes well and putting themselves in good position pretty consistently.

the offensive player should not put the ref in the position to let that play go. At full speed all he can see is an offensive player diving at the hindquarters of a defender. Bad call or not, I can't blame the official for calling it. Opposing players will look to turn and fall like that to draw penalties against us, you have to have the discipline to know when the risk is not worth the reward.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Duke had Tulane 16-0 after three. We were up 44-7. The 7 could have been an interception. I am sure White learned something from that play.
Yeah, the timing of that play was crazy. I think the clock in White's head had gone off. So much time had elapsed before that ball arrived that I think it surprised him a little. He was there in plenty of time and had actually over-run the play at little and got pinned behind the receiver. He wasn't beat deep, he was beat short on a deep throw, if you will. Did it look bad. Yup, but he had the guy covered. It was like a "Hail Mary" of sorts. For the most part, we were hanging all over their WRs all day and they got little separation. If we can take solace in anything it is that this play was a bit of an abberation and not the norm.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, the timing of that play was crazy. I think the clock in White's head had gone off. So much time had elapsed before that ball arrived that I think it surprised him a little. He was there in plenty of time and had actually over-run the play at little and got pinned behind the receiver. He wasn't beat deep, he was beat short on a deep throw, if you will. Did it look bad. Yup, but he had the guy covered. It was like a "Hail Mary" of sorts. For the most part, we were hanging all over their WRs all day and they got little separation. If we can take solace in anything it is that this play was a bit of an abberation and not the norm.

not just the timing but everything about that play was just flukey. We pressured the QB, Gotsis caused a fumble basically that the QB caught then threw on the run a deep fluttering bomb...TD...ok...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
the offensive player should not put the ref in the position to let that play go. At full speed all he can see is an offensive player diving at the hindquarters of a defender. Bad call or not, I can't blame the official for calling it. Opposing players will look to turn and fall like that to draw penalties against us, you have to have the discipline to know when the risk is not worth the reward.
Are we talking about the same play? The first penalty was pass interference. Defender had perfect position and did hit the receiver.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess not. I read only the first few bits about "engagement" I thought it was about our offensive penalty where we were called for an illegeal block below the waist (which was in fact our first penalty). Hence my confusion and hasty response.

I also thought the PI was weak.

MY POINT STILL STANDS!

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Nit picking ...
Kickoff coverage was slow to get to the ball carrier.
First half OL wasn't creating a lot of room for Skov (maybe credit Tulane's DL)
We had problems getting to their LB's (maybe credit Tulane's LB's)
A few missed tackles

Best play; Searcy's TD reception in motion from slot. This in our playbook rally slows down the LB's and a great 3rd down threat.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Play was around right end, first headed east and then turned upfield headed north. Blocker (IKE) was running die north toward the db who was facing south. As the runner moved toward the sideline the DB rotated 90 degrees, facing east, just as IKE cut him low from the side, a 3 o'clock hit. A legal hit would be 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock. I cannot blame IKE because he had a head on run at the DB but the DB rotated on him at the last moment. That's how I saw it.

;00 hit