Tulane Postgame

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul said earlier in the week, during a press conference, that pretty much any true Freshman who was going to play had gotten into the Alcorn game. He didn't make it sound like there would be any debuts today. Seems to have been the case. Likewise, I believe any eligible R-freshmen also got into last week's game.

I think we've seen what we're going to see--barring injury.

Possibly Lands-Davis with Jordan going back to QB? I saw he was in pads. Idk how customary that is for redshirts

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Without having the pleasure of watching the recording, the edge guys had some real nice blocks today.

With that, I'm sure the staff will be able to point out many failures and things to be improved on the edges.

The d-line, while not "dominate" did seem to put pressure while collapsing the pocket sometimes.

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitch relationship seemed off in the first half. AB too close to the QB. We were definitely sloppy but athleticism carried us.

We executed much better in the second half while the 1's were in.

Defense is still a question mark, imo. We are not getting good push while rushing 4. Jabari has been non existent. I like Gamble on the end but may need him at DT more.

ABs all look great and BB is taken care of. QB is solid and WR seems to be as well. Summers and Jeune and Stewart are all physical guys who can catch.

We are going to score, period. We just need to stop some guys.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
We came out a little sluggish and sloppy but still moved the ball relatively easy on offense. We've got some really good athletes at the skill positions and they are only going to get better. Searcy is fun to watch with the ball in his hands. He's slippery and tougher than he looks like he would be based on his size. Really liked seeing T. Marshall high point the ball on the long pass from Jordan since he had to come back for it. I thought Jordan played well. I thought he would run the ball well, but he impressed me with that long throw as well. Marshall was either his second read or he did a really good job of looking the safety off on the roll out (at least from my vantage point in the half empty club section).

Oline was a little disappointing in the first half, but played much better in the second half. They will need to play even better next week.

Defense played pretty well for the most part. I was surprised with that DJ didn't make a play on their lone td. He's normally pretty solid about playing the ball in the air but he never got his head around. He made up for it later though. Pass rush still needs to get better, but was improved from last week. I love watching Freeman play. He's relentless and got held several times without flags thrown.

Like others, I have been a little disappointed in Jabari. The hype was so high coming into the season. I don't know what his responsibility has been throughout the first 2 weeks, but I have not seen him generate much if any penetration. His job may just be to eat up blockers and hold the point of attack, but based on everything we heard coming into the season, he has disappointed a little. Gostis on the other hand has looked really good. This could be because Jabari is freeing him up, if so great. I have only been able to watch live so I'm sure I'm missing some things. Hopefully he will continue to get better as the season goes along.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm always nervous about Defense... even in 1990 ;)

(Just part of being a GT fan since the 70's and at GT in the early 80's )

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tulane didn't turn out to be the opponent I think we had hoped. They weren't as competitive as last year's team. Still, as @Ibeeballin said--it's a lot to celebrate.

Still, I have a feeling that film study will be an interesting day.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What a JOKE the official crew was today when it came to the time clock.

What was with letting the clock run for about a minute to "verify a a first down".

Then and even dumber move to tell the clock keeper to reset the time from 14:51 to 15 minutes after MJ's TD run. MJ is quick, but i don't think hat he can run 65 yards in less than one half of a second.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I have been wondering why Jabari hasn't been in on more plays, so as I watched the game I realized he was being double teamed pretty often. Why are people worried about the D? I just posted a post with a link to the stats for the game and we did not give up hardly anything on yards per play, and if it would have been first team in the game the whole time I think it would have been even worse stats for Tulane, our D should be way better this year, and at this point compared to last year they are way better.