Tulane Postgame

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Nit picking ...
Kickoff coverage was slow to get to the ball carrier.
First half OL wasn't creating a lot of room for Skov (maybe credit Tulane's DL)
We had problems getting to their LB's (maybe credit Tulane's LB's)
A few missed tackles

Best play; Searcy's TD reception in motion from slot. This in our playbook rally slows down the LB's and a great 3rd down threat.

I like the Searcy play, but I was wondering if it was a procedure penalty. He didn't get deep enough in the motion and was forced to run around a player so he was actually moving towards the line of scrimmage as the ball was snapped it seemed. Is that type of forward movement (to regain your original path) allowed? watch it again and see what y'all think.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Nit picking ...
A few missed tackles

Best play; Searcy's TD reception in motion from slot. This in our playbook rally slows down the LB's and a great 3rd down threat.

They were taking away the dive by scheme in the first half but that left open the pitch.
at this play was a bit of an abberation and not the norm.
We did everything right on the play, he threw it up for grabs and got lucky. Sometimes that happens. I've been extremely pleased with our pass defense so far and can't wait to see how we do next week.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like the Searcy play, but I was wondering if it was a procedure penalty. He didn't get deep enough in the motion and was forced to run around a player so he was actually moving towards the line of scrimmage as the ball was snapped it seemed. Is that type of forward movement (to regain your original path) allowed? watch it again and see what y'all think.

I think you are technically correct but it is usually not enforced if there is no deception to gain an advantage. I see players in motion zig zagging a lot without being penalized. You do make a fine point.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We did everything right on the play, he threw it up for grabs and got lucky. Sometimes that happens. I've been extremely pleased with our pass defense so far and can't wait to see how we do next week.
I disagree, the ball was underthrown, DJ lost the battle of position and got beat. It happens. A good corner shakes it off and doesn't let it ruin the rest of his day. Btw, underthrown deep balls are many times an easier play for the receiver as he has a better and longer look at the ball and can make adjustments easier.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree, the ball was underthrown, DJ lost the battle of position and got beat. It happens. A good corner shakes it off and doesn't let it ruin the rest of his day. Btw, underthrown deep balls are many times an easier play for the receiver as he has a better and longer look at the ball and can make adjustments easier.
Well I see your point about the corner getting beat when the ball is in the air but we had the play defended. If offensively your depending on that type of scenario to score your in trouble.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I think you're both right. It was a lucky play in that the QB fumbled and bobbled the ball and tossed it up for grabs after inexplicably regaining possession. DJ played it incorrectly and got beat. I can't give the QB credit for underthrowing it. He just got lucky.

On a semi-related note, paging @Leonard Larramore. Any thoughts on the early season DB play? Hope you're doing well.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Nit picking ...
A few missed tackles

To add a few more: too many 2nd and 8's, option back spacing was not good, a few bad pitches, and a bunch of missed blocks in the first half. It was only 21-7 late in the half. But I'll take it any day.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think you are technically correct but it is usually not enforced if there is no deception to gain an advantage. I see players in motion zig zagging a lot without being penalized. You do make a fine point.
Tech's timing on the Aback motion is so fine I often think they will get called. But in replaying it the back breaks a split fraction before the ball is snapped, and his first step is back. Really well coached and effective. It gets him off and running if he is the pitch man, and the defense has no time to adjust.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else find that the fun of that long quarterback touchdown run has been taken away by knowing that Tulane only had 9 players on the field?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Play was around right end, first headed east and then turned upfield headed north. Blocker (IKE) was running die north toward the db who was facing south. As the runner moved toward the sideline the DB rotated 90 degrees, facing east, just as IKE cut him low from the side, a 3 o'clock hit. A legal hit would be 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock. I cannot blame IKE because he had a head on run at the DB but the DB rotated on him at the last moment. That's how I saw it.

;00 hit
I don't understand that rule. Purpose I thought, was not to blindside a player, but if player sees blocker, and turns so blocker is at 3 or 4 o'clock position I don't see why it should be called. Would like comments. I am prtty sure refs are told to err on side of caution to player that could be hurt.