Tulane Postgame

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We made a lot of mistakes today that we did not make in week 1, too many penalties and turnovers but when you dominate an opponent 65 to 10 and overcome all of those mistakes, their is no need to criticize. It looks like we have a powerful football team that is capable of naming the score. I know we will be playing much better opposition down the road, but I sense that this team is going to win big and win a lot.

Go Jackets!

dcyellowjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
On the MJ TD run Tulane only had 9 players on the field on defense. You can count them in the highlight video if you pause it. Idk if that's a penalty that's calls for a resetting of the clock even if declined. I thought their safeties would catch him then I realized they weren't on the field.
I'm glad someone else noticed this. I thought I was going blind. Watching the replay, it looks like two Tulane players ran off the field at the last second.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
We made a lot of mistakes today that we did not make in week 1, too many penalties and turnovers but when you dominate an opponent 65 to 10 and overcome all of those mistakes, their is no need to criticize. It looks like we have a powerful football team that is capable of naming the score. I know we will be playing much better opposition down the road, but I sense that this team is going to win big and win a lot.

Go Jackets!

1 TO and 2 penalties, too many? Goodness the bar is being set way high! Tech was plus 2 on TOs yesterday, plus 4 in 2 games, and in 2 games they've had 2, repeat 2, penalties. :D

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I have been wondering why Jabari hasn't been in on more plays, so as I watched the game I realized he was being double teamed pretty often. Why are people worried about the D? I just posted a post with a link to the stats for the game and we did not give up hardly anything on yards per play, and if it would have been first team in the game the whole time I think it would have been even worse stats for Tulane, our D should be way better this year, and at this point compared to last year they are way better.

A couple of things about Jabari that I noticed in this game:
  1. it looked to me like he was drawing a LOT of double teams. Seems to me that's a huge contribution for starters, as it frees up our LBs to make plays, and they mostly did just that;
  2. I thought he did fine in run defense. Not great, but decent. In other words, even though it looked to me like he was drawing two blockers, he still was holding his own inside. This was inconsistent, though, as I also did see a couple of plays where he got driven back
  3. he was the ONLY starter I saw playing in the 4th quarter. I have no idea why this would be the case? Something he wanted? Something the coaches want him to work on? Not at all sure, but I was surprised to see him out there in the 4th quarter with the game out of hand and still don't understand it;
  4. I do agree he got no real push in pass rush, and they would often sub him out on 3rd and long.
  5. I was disappointed with our 3rd and long defense. iirc, they did convert two 3rd and more than 10 plays, although one was against the 2's, not the starters....but still, we don't want to see that at all, and as CPJ said, they had a better 3rd down conversion rate against us than they had against Duke. To be fair, I'm not sure how much Duke's 2nd team D got to play in their game, which was relatively close until the 4th quarter, and I think our starters had a decent 3rd down defense rate.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A couple of things about Jabari that I noticed in this game:
  1. it looked to me like he was drawing a LOT of double teams. Seems to me that's a huge contribution for starters, as it frees up our LBs to make plays, and they mostly did just that;
  2. I thought he did fine in run defense. Not great, but decent. In other words, even though it looked to me like he was drawing two blockers, he still was holding his own inside. This was inconsistent, though, as I also did see a couple of plays where he got driven back
  3. he was the ONLY starter I saw playing in the 4th quarter. I have no idea why this would be the case? Something he wanted? Something the coaches want him to work on? Not at all sure, but I was surprised to see him out there in the 4th quarter with the game out of hand and still don't understand it;
  4. I do agree he got no real push in pass rush, and they would often sub him out on 3rd and long.
  5. I was disappointed with our 3rd and long defense. iirc, they did convert two 3rd and more than 10 plays, although one was against the 2's, not the starters....but still, we don't want to see that at all, and as CPJ said, they had a better 3rd down conversion rate against us than they had against Duke. To be fair, I'm not sure how much Duke's 2nd team D got to play in their game, which was relatively close until the 4th quarter, and I think our starters had a decent 3rd down defense rate.

3rd down conversion, Tulane 6 of 15, Tech 6 of 9

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what cpj was talking about in the post game, it looked like we got pressure with four fairly consistently. Re watched the first half this morning and we looked like we were getting after them.
The center of the DL wasn't pushing the pocket. Even the tv guys pointed that out.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My first worry was that the OTs had issues getting to the MLB in the 1st Q. That will be a big issue as we move into tougher opponents.

Overall, there were some great OL moments!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we are ahead of where we were last year at this time and not as good as we were at the end of the season. Now that our pre-season is over, I can't wait to see what happens when Derrick Moore decides it's time to turn the Yellow Jackets loose.

I was going to look at some stats, but they are not relevant right now. We have dominated against inferior athletes. I expect we will continue to dominate all but Clemson and UGAg and maybe FSU / ND. But that is just from the first two weeks and all teams can change a lot as the season progresses.

I know I enjoyed the **** out of yesterday's game. And slept in till 0830. At 0220, my wife and I woke up, I told her that we just scored again. We laughed and went back to sleep.

Go Jackets!
We will be favored in every remaining game except at Clemson and Georgia in Atlanta. That is as of today. We could actually be favored against both of those teams if we continue to roll.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
The center of the DL wasn't pushing the pocket. Even the tv guys pointed that out.

The TV guys said in the first half, and I quote "the front four (insert names of our starting dl) have been living in their backfield". Gotsis had a few hurries and a strip. In the second half, they pointed out how our 2nd string was getting pushed off the ball.

On a related note, gotsis is going to make some money if he continues to play like he has been.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
JHD hopefully will continue to improve his pass rush technique. Right now he is being blocked one on one.

It was good to see the B-back option in this game. I'm glad we have a B-back athletic enough to run this effectively.
This is a play that not only allows us to take advantage of a great athlete at B back but also is a real key breaker in the offense. It's great to be able to run it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The TV guys said in the first half, and I quote "the front four (insert names of our starting dl) have been living in their backfield". Gotsis had a few hurries and a strip. In the second half, they pointed out how our 2nd string was getting pushed off the ball.

On a related note, gotsis is going to make some money if he continues to play like he has been.
I can't quote it, but I distinctly remember the tv guy saying the DE's were doing a good job getting pressure on the outside while the DT's weren't getting any push and that confirms my own observations, as well. Now that's just a general statement, there were times we got push, but for the majority of the time, we didn't.