TStan wants your feedback: Branded Items at Retail

I actually made a comment as to stop using the term YELLOW jackets and just use the term Jackets. As it causes issues with branding. We aren't yellow, we shouldn't be yellow. Gold and white. I suppose forced navy is there. But I think referring to us as the Jackets, go Jackets, and Swarming Jackets is better than using Yellow Jackets.

I know I'll catch heat for this. But it's odd using an animal named by its color and not using those colors as your school colors. We either need to be yellow and black or stop using yellow in the names.
In the name of "branding" far too much emphasis has been place on "the new gold". Just stick with what got us here, regardless of the variations in shade. I have no objection to the gold used in the uniforms, but most of the apparel being sold looks far better in yellow than in the "new gold".

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
In the name of "branding" far too much emphasis has been place on "the new gold". Just stick with what got us here, regardless of the variations in shade. I have no objection to the gold used in the uniforms, but most of the apparel being sold looks far better in yellow than in the "new gold".

Eh. I am not a fan of yellow. It looks too cheap or child like.

They have 2 colors purple and Orange. We have 5 colors. Gold, yellow, white, navy, black. We need to stick to two, 3 tops.
They predominantly wear orange and white, and sometimes that pukey purple. For Tech to occasionally wear blue is one thing, but to emphasize it as a primary color, which it was never intended to be, is ridiculous. We are the WHITE AND GOLD. All other colors should be used only as trim, nothing more.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Love the survey. Really excited they are looking for actual feedback.

GOLD AND WHITE LOVERS, THIS IS OUR CHANCE! lol

One issue though, for this question: "Now thinking about Georgia Tech apparel colors, do you prefer to buy/wear merchandise that is….?"
Why is there no "Gold and White" option???
The options are:
Black
Navy/Tech Gold
Navy/Buzz Gold
Navy/White
Mostly Tech Gold
Mostly Buzz Gold
Mostly Gray
Mostly White
No Preference
Depends

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Maybe this is heresy but I absolutely love the Clemson purple/orange combination and it is uniquely theirs. The colors also contrast well if we want to get into color theory...if they added a touch of green they would have a triadic color scheme (which are typically described as vibrant, and there's no denying Clemson's color palette is vibrant).

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Looks better according to what standard? Yours? It doesn't matter how you think it looks; our colors are white and gold.

Looks better according to me and the apparent standard of a HUGE segment of our fan base, as evinced by the number of fans you see wearing navy gear and the amount available for sale. If fans didn't like it as much as they clearly do, they wouldn't buy it so much and the selection would not include it as much. Sorry, just the truth. I know you hate that, but you are just yelling into the wind if you think repeating "our colors are gold and white" over and over and over and over and over is changing anybody's mind. I own gold, navy, and white gear. They are all official primary or secondary colors, and I tend to buy the gear I think looks best. Sorry to say that is very often navy.

Maybe this is heresy but I absolutely love the Clemson purple/orange combination and it is uniquely theirs. The colors also contrast well if we want to get into color theory...if they added a touch of green they would have a triadic color scheme (which are typically described as vibrant, and there's no denying Clemson's color palette is vibrant).
Since my HS colors were purple and gold, I can't really dislike purple when used by anyone. What's important to remember though is that the use of purple is rare among colleges. And purple and orange is definitely unique. I think LSU is the only other school of note that has purple as an official color. Tech is virtually unique in being the White and Gold, so why screw things up with other colors, especially blue which is almost as non-unique among colleges as is red.

Looks better according to me and the apparent standard of a HUGE segment of our fan base, as evinced by the number of fans you see wearing navy gear and the amount available for sale. If fans didn't like it as much as they clearly do, they wouldn't buy it so much and the selection would not include it as much. Sorry, just the truth. I know you hate that, but you are just yelling into the wind if you think repeating "our colors are gold and white" over and over and over and over and over is changing anybody's mind. I own gold, navy, and white gear. They are all official primary or secondary colors, and I tend to buy the gear I think looks best. Sorry to say that is largely navy.
All I am saying is that for a college sports fan, ANY college sports fan, to wear gear that "looks better" to them, rather than the colors for which the school is known, is nothing more than vanity.

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
Since my HS colors were purple and gold, I can't really dislike purple when used by anyone. What's important to remember though is that the use of purple is rare among colleges. And purple and orange is definitely unique. I think LSU is the only other school of note that has purple as an official color. Tech is virtually unique in being the White and Gold, so why screw things up with other colors, especially blue which is almost as non-unique among colleges as is red.
UW Huskies and TCU Horned Frogs are the only others off the top of my head that use Purple. Oh yeah, Kansas State? Northwestern?

Enuratique

Jolly Good Fellow
They play on a green field :sneaky:

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't buy navy Tech gear and it frustrates me that's so often all that is available to buy. So I just don't buy it. If I have to I'd rather wear something gold that isn't branded, than something that is navy with a logo. I also don't buy gold gear that is accented in only navy or has Navy logos. Navy should be an outline and rarely predominant.

White and gold is uniquely Tech. Because it's so unique it's very easy to build a very recognizable brand around that. Merchandising navy to the extent that we get only makes us fade into a crowd of a million other brands that use the color because yes, it is in fact very versatile. It may "look good" but it does nothing but muddle our identity.

My $0.02 and what I said in the survey

crut

Helluva Engineer
Looks better according to me and the apparent standard of a HUGE segment of our fan base, as evinced by the number of fans you see wearing navy gear and the amount available for sale. If fans didn't like it as much as they clearly do, they wouldn't buy it so much and the selection would not include it as much. Sorry, just the truth. I know you hate that, but you are just yelling into the wind if you think repeating "our colors are gold and white" over and over and over and over and over is changing anybody's mind. I own gold, navy, and white gear. They are all official primary or secondary colors, and I tend to buy the gear I think looks best. Sorry to say that is very often navy.
It's literally difficult to not wear navy/grey because there is nothing else to buy.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
They predominantly wear orange and white, and sometimes that pukey purple. For Tech to occasionally wear blue is one thing, but to emphasize it as a primary color, which it was never intended to be, is ridiculous. We are the WHITE AND GOLD. All other colors should be used only as trim, nothing more.

We've heard many times about your love of black trim.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Navy is only a Tech color because it's the most popular merchandise color. Societally, it's a unisex color and contrasts well with caucasian skin tone. I can guarantee you whenever Navy was added to our color palette that the marketing team at the table in the office decided to add it because people love to buy blue/navy clothing. I'm sure there are studies on this.

That said, I think there's a case to be made that if you just threw navy out the window and forced unique Tech Gold on our fanbase, it would become trendy and people would connect with it and still buy just as much/more merch eventually. I doubt Volunteer orange was popular in Knoxville at first and now the whole fanbase loves it and embraces it and buys anything that it comes in. Same with that light, sky, Carolina Blue.