Transfers Out

Deleted member 2897

Just saw another cryptic tweet from a guy that I was worried about before. Who I thought would really excel under Collins though. I guess we will see. Kids are travelling back and recovering from the game. I suspect we will start seeing notes posted to Twitter in the next few days and weeks ahead, if there are any.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I imagine we'll have several transfers and I would guess the majority of them would be on the offensive side. The harsh truth is we have some players that wouldn't be on a P5 roster except for one that ran the TO. I doubt they are straight up told to leave, more because of optics and PR than anything mentioned in this thread, but I expect more than one conversation to take place that basically says if you want to keep proving yourself on the field then it will likely have to be somewhere else.

Defense I would expect less. For starters defense's are less varied than offense by nature, While there are guys who are 4-3 DEs too small to play DL in a 3-4 usually there are ways of using such guys, as an example. The second is that there are far less connection to a defensive staff that was only here 1 year. Where the offense needs a transition of personnel in many ways the defense more needs a transition in coaching.

NorthGaJacket15

Jolly Good Fellow
Just saw another cryptic tweet from a guy that I was worried about before. Who I thought would really excel under Collins though. I guess we will see. Kids are travelling back and recovering from the game. I suspect we will start seeing notes posted to Twitter in the next few days and weeks ahead, if there are any.
If it’s a tweet, then it’s essentially public right? Do you mind sharing for those of us who aren’t on Twitter?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I will again remind everyone that certain rules will be enforced and posts will be removed.
No Personal Attacks.
Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.
Sorry you are going to be very busy NtTomNtPhilGColl is back.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah so let's pay for six figures for them to go to school while it's clear they shouldn't be on the team. Btw nobody said to just kick ppl off for no reason. We obviously have a few bad apples on the team

If they don't break the rules, then there is no reason to kick them off the team. Your calling for processing is indefensible.

Deleted member 2897

If it’s a tweet, then it’s essentially public right? Do you mind sharing for those of us who aren’t on Twitter?

Well, its cryptic, so it doesn't necessarily say what I'm worried it might say. See what I mean? What I just typed isn't worth a dang thing. So I'd rather not link to it or post it and ascribe my own worries based on no facts whatsoever to this kid. Could be completely unrelated to transfers. I'll tell you generically what he said - in one tweet he said 2019 is going to be a new journey and a new beginning...and in a previous tweet from a couple weeks ago he said he had a tough decision on his mind that would make or break him. So even if he had been thinking about transferring, it could mean he thought about it, but the change in coaches offers a new beginning, so he won't anymore. Its just all a bunch of speculation based on nothing. Better we just sit tight and wait for reality instead of my speculative jibber jabber. I mean bejeezus, he could be talking about changing majors or switching roommates or what underwear he's going to put on.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well, its cryptic, so it doesn't necessarily say what I'm worried it might say. See what I mean? What I just typed isn't worth a dang thing. So I'd rather not link to it or post it and ascribe my own worries based on no facts whatsoever to this kid. Could be completely unrelated to transfers. I'll tell you generically what he said - in one tweet he said 2019 is going to be a new journey and a new beginning...and in a previous tweet from a couple weeks ago he said he had a tough decision on his mind that would make or break him. So even if he had been thinking about transferring, it could mean he thought about it, but the change in coaches offers a new beginning, so he won't anymore. Its just all a bunch of speculation based on nothing. Better we just sit tight and wait for reality instead of my speculative jibber jabber. I mean bejeezus, he could be talking about changing majors or switching roommates or what underwear he's going to put on.

Probably just changing cell carrier. It's pretty life changing these days.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see this as as black and white as some people. I would not be in favor of pushing anyone out. It is the GT way to honor scholarships as long as the kid is keeping up his grades and showing up at practice and so on. On the other hand, if a kid was recruited for our offense and is now a poor fit, he might very well want to go some place else. That is not forcing them out but would be good for everyone.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't see this as as black and white as some people. I would not be in favor of pushing anyone out. It is the GT way to honor scholarships as long as the kid is keeping up his grades and showing up at practice and so on. On the other hand, if a kid was recruited for our offense and is now a poor fit, he might very well want to go some place else. That is not forcing them out but would be good for everyone.

You are correct. What is fair and right is for the new coach to tell everyone honestly what he sees as his prospects here for fitting into the new system, and let each decide for himself. No one is going to have his scholarship pulled. It is not going to happen. Period.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
It's hilarious to get backlash for saying players that don't want to be here and aren't trying should not be at GT getting a free education.
So who is saying that? Name the player(s) who don’t want to be here and aren’t trying? Some may not be as good as we hoped. Some may not fit into the new packages. But if they want to stay and fight for a spot, take care of their academics and follow the rules and put forth the effort we shouldn’t run them off.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
When Al Groh came in, he buried Julian Burnett on the depth chart because he didn't "look" like a 3-4 linebacker. Al Groh wanted a bunch of 6'2+ MLBs playing for him, and JB was 5'10 with his shoes on.

Anyone who watched Spring Practice the year Groh came in knew something was just off. Burnett dominated scrimmages with the 3rd team. The kid at least deserved to move up to 2nd team. Make no mistake, that's a coach's "soft" way of telling an SA that "It's probably best if you move on so I can use your scholly on someone else..."

Credit to JB he just kept working hard and making so many plays that the coaches had no other choice but to keep moving him up the depth chart. JB was one of the best players on our team during his time, and even CPJ made a public comment that JB had to have a place on the field he was making too many plays. Kids can't control what how new coaches may perceive them, but they can control their work ethic and effort they put into the team. Credit to JB for perservering and giving coaches no other choice but to put him on the field. It's unfortunate that he injured his neck and could never play again, but that guy deserved to be part of the team and not "processed" out because he didn't fit what a coach thought a LB should look like.

You can't tell CGC who he should play or not play, but the kids deserve a chance to prove themselves on the field.
I kind of felt that way about Tyler Merriweather. Kid showed out the past couple of spring games. Been here 5 years and never seen the field.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Excuse me if I reword your statement a bit, but if the sentiment is that most kids are here to play football, and not have football be the path towards a GT education, then I would hope GT shuts down their football program or move out of Div 1. I personally think most kids that go to GT have the attitude of the latter and not the former.

Most players are here to play football. Please accept this as it is the truth and the reality is that there is nothing wrong with that

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Lol I just described what processing is so it's definitely defendable. You don't want bad apples on the team. Again nobody said to get rid of players for no reason.

You are changing the definitions as you go along. "Processing" the way Saban and the factories do it, is not kicking "bad apples" off the team, unless "bad apple" just means someone the coach doesn't want, anymore.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, I understand the sentiment, but not really. Think about it: if any of the players we have now aren’t suited for the new offensive scheme and the new 4-3 defensive alignment, I would think they’d rather go somewhere where they can play. It’s not that we’ll force anyone out, it’s just that everyone should be able to make his own decision — and that, I turn, will benefit both the player and the team.

Are the players who aren't going to make the NFL at GT solely for football? Should a decision for what school to attend be based solely on how much playing time you can get or what the education will mean for you 5, 10, or 20 years later? Were the players sold on the "40 year plan"? If so, what would "processing" them out for the "40 year plan" that CGC has said that he will use as the reason for recruits to pay attention to GT?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Are the players who aren't going to make the NFL at GT solely for football? Should a decision for what school to attend be based solely on how much playing time you can get or what the education will mean for you 5, 10, or 20 years later? Were the players sold on the "40 year plan"? If so, what would "processing" them out for the "40 year plan" that CGC has said that he will use as the reason for recruits to pay attention to GT?
Then I hope the people who don't want to let go of the service academy approach are willing to give Coach Collins the time to change things, if they really value young men getting their degrees. Putting undue pressure on the coach is a way to force him to expedite roster change for his own professional survival and that of his staff.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Not at all. What I tried to say — apparently feebly — is that the player should have the option to transfer out if that’s what he wants. If he is getting reduced playing time because of the new scheme, but wants to stay for the education, then by all means, he should keep his scholarship.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Then I hope the people who don't want to let go of the service academy approach are willing to give Coach Collins the time to change things, if they really value young men getting their degrees. Putting undue pressure on the coach is a way to force him to expedite roster change for his own professional survival and that of his staff.

I have in at least the majority of my posts on this site and others been primarily concerned with treating the student athletes as students first. I want top notch athletes. I want the players to try their hardest. And I want the team to win. However, my support for the athletic department has more to do with my connection to the school than the results on the field. I will support the team and the athletes. I will support the coach and the athletic administration as long as they support the athletes. I can understand kicking players off of the team who violate rules, don't handle the academics, or who cause culture issues. I will not support the administration or the coach if players are forcibly removed simply to make room for someone who they believe might be better.