Transfers Out

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
First, I don’t think the “nuclear option” will take place. I don’t think CGC would do it, or that TStan would permit it.

This ain’t aTm when Bear Bryant got there.

That being said, some current players will leave and some new players will come in. Some will give up the sport and stay at GT, others not.

It happens every year at every school.

I just wish we could get a S&C program to make OL & DL grow taller by 2 - 4” and gain 30 lbs in 5 months. And help LBs cut their 40 times by1/2 second and bench a 150 lbs. more than they do now in the same time period.

Is that too much to ask?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what metrics Coach Collins will utilize when deciding upon position changes? Speed, weight, height for each position...

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not advocating in any way for CGC to “clean house” but I do not have a problem with him letting a player know that they won’t start in his system. I think it’s better for both the players and the school if he tells them this before he takes over. I do not think he should pull the scholarships, and he should allow them to try out for another position if this is the case. He should let the players to decide whether they want to transfer if they won’t be starting, or allow them to stay on scholarship if they want the degree.

slugboy

Staff member
Aside from the former athletes on this board, what percentage of us have trained as hard as the average athletes on this team, or even what we used to call a D2 team?

College sports is ruthless enough as it is, without us rooting for transfers.

The last time we had a coaching transition, there were a lot of surprising players. Nesbitt obviously. BayBay was a “we hope he can turn into a good receiver” player. Spring practice was tough, but the players fought their way through.

I expect we’ll see a lot of unexpected players step up in the Spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't 'hope' anyone transfers. I hope every student athlete does what's best for them. Imho, for the overwhelming majority that's getting a Tech degree. But if they want to transfer for a different opportunity because they no longer fit here, then I wish them the best.

I don't think it's evil to recognize the hard truth that for some players it would be better for them, and the program, for them to seek opportunities elsewhere. Though, I will strongly support any that choose to stay. Even if they have no place in the new system.

We have a few RSJrs that are on pace to graduate in May. If they aren't in the two-deep after spring, I'd think they'd move on.

Animal02

Banned
I don't 'hope' anyone transfers. I hope every student athlete does what's best for them. Imho, for the overwhelming majority that's getting a Tech degree. But if they want to transfer for a different opportunity because they no longer fit here, then I wish them the best.

I don't think it's evil to recognize the hard truth that for some players it would be better for them, and the program, for them to seek opportunities elsewhere. Though, I will strongly support any that choose to stay. Even if they have no place in the new system.

We have a few RSJrs that are on pace to graduate in May. If they aren't in the two-deep after spring, I'd think they'd move on.
A realistic attitude....others that hope for transfers, kids processed out, or schollys pulled are not fans

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Most kids are here to play football, not become Electrical Engineers, so I hope they get a chance to go where they can play. However, we do owe them 4 years if they desire to stay here. Note, 4 years, I do not think we necessarily owe them 5 years.
Excuse me if I reword your statement a bit, but if the sentiment is that most kids are here to play football, and not have football be the path towards a GT education, then I would hope GT shuts down their football program or move out of Div 1. I personally think most kids that go to GT have the attitude of the latter and not the former.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
When Al Groh came in, he buried Julian Burnett on the depth chart because he didn't "look" like a 3-4 linebacker. Al Groh wanted a bunch of 6'2+ MLBs playing for him, and JB was 5'10 with his shoes on.

Anyone who watched Spring Practice the year Groh came in knew something was just off. Burnett dominated scrimmages with the 3rd team. The kid at least deserved to move up to 2nd team. Make no mistake, that's a coach's "soft" way of telling an SA that "It's probably best if you move on so I can use your scholly on someone else..."

Credit to JB he just kept working hard and making so many plays that the coaches had no other choice but to keep moving him up the depth chart. JB was one of the best players on our team during his time, and even CPJ made a public comment that JB had to have a place on the field he was making too many plays. Kids can't control what how new coaches may perceive them, but they can control their work ethic and effort they put into the team. Credit to JB for perservering and giving coaches no other choice but to put him on the field. It's unfortunate that he injured his neck and could never play again, but that guy deserved to be part of the team and not "processed" out because he didn't fit what a coach thought a LB should look like.

You can't tell CGC who he should play or not play, but the kids deserve a chance to prove themselves on the field.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
With the tough academics at Tech, it may be easier to 'process' or nudge people along than some of you think.
The other side of the coin is if a kid is only a year away from that degree they may be more likely to stay with us for that reason alone. I think SAs 2+ years away from graduation will be more likely to transfer if they don't see a place for them in the new scheme(s).

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
The other side of the coin is if a kid is only a year away from that degree they may be more likely to stay with us for that reason alone. I think SAs 2+ years away from graduation will be more likely to transfer if they don't see a place for them in the new scheme(s).
Yeah, you know, I hope guys buy in and get excited. If they do, they'll want to stay.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Im sorry but it's time for some processing
So let me get this right. We can't change uniforms because we have to hold true to our tradition, but you want to run players off who don't perform like you think they should, completely going against our tradition as outlined by Bobby Dodd? I get it, color schemes are more important than the guys who are wearing them?

Animal02

Banned
So let me get this right. We can't change uniforms because we have to hold true to our tradition, but you want to run players off who don't perform like you think they should, completely going against our tradition as outlined by Bobby Dodd? I get it, color schemes are more important than the guys who are wearing them?
He and a few others place football results over people. Yes, I will use the term again.....disgusting.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will again remind everyone that certain rules will be enforced and posts will be removed.
No Personal Attacks.
Do not post personal attacks on other members, our former or current players, recruits, as well as the GT administrative and coaching staff. There are ways to disagree with someone or an idea but still be civil about it in public discourse. We are not like other fans that like to bark at each other. For a better definition of personal attacks, please see ad hominem and no personal attacks.