Transfers Out

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I had to stop after the second page of this thread. It’s disgusting that people want players to be cut. I knew I should have stayed away after that bowl loss. I’ll cheer for any Tech Man, even if they decide it’s in their best interest to transfer this offseason. I know there were times I considered it, and I didn’t have to put up with the athletic schedule and our fans.

I think I'm in the majority here. I want some players to transfer or pursue other opportunities than football because it's better for them and for us. There is no doubt with coaching change some players are not going to fit. And I want us to be up front about that, but by no means should we cull or pressure anyone to leave who wants to stick it out despite the odds. Even if CPJ were still coach, we expect some off-season turnover every year. This year it may be helpful.

Animal02

Banned
I think I'm in the majority here. I want some players to transfer or pursue other opportunities than football because it's better for them and for us. There is no doubt with coaching change some players are not going to fit. And I want us to be up front about that, but by no means should we cull or pressure anyone to leave who wants to stick it out despite the odds. Even if CPJ were still coach, we expect some off-season turnover every year. This year it may be helpful.
You are NOT in the majority if you WANT kids to transfer.

slugboy

Staff member

Almost everyone thinks they’re in the majority in these conversations, and there’s really no way to tell.

The bigger question isn’t what is or isn’t a majority opinion, but if we’re doing the right thing the right way. The AA isn’t a charity, but an agreement was made with these student athletes to get them an education and a chance to play football here. We do have to hold up our end of the bargain.

We should also be straight with players about where they stand. Being a junior who is seventh on the depth chart is no fun. But the emphasis should be on being honest, not using it as an tactic to free up scholarships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MarineBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan

Pathetic

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I were a GT player who wanted more PT and thought I might not get it under Collins, I would have already been talking to other coaches during the Christmas break. Maybe just having my parents calling around. Also, if I were a student playing football, I might think I could back off a bit on the work required to play football and get more serious with my studies.

We should know pretty soon how many guys are leaving the program. Spring practice will be a big tell.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
It would be devistating for GT to kick kids off schlorship. Alabama, UGA, Clemson, etc. can get away with it because recruits would die to go there, but schools like GT would be banned from high schools. However, I don’t buy most of the self righteousness. Companies, schools and, yes, even the Marines, kick kids out all the time for poor performance.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t think anyone is advocating pushing anyone out/pulling scholarships. I think most people on here are trying to say we should do what’s best for the guys on the team and letting them decide what is important to them.

It is ultimately their decision. Example: We have several A-backs on the roster, and now with the new offense coming in they will most likely play RB or Slot Reciever. We will be overloaded at both of these positions now especially with the B-Backs transitioning to the RB position as well (Heck, maybe even a few QB’s too). If a player sees that he may be at the back end of the depth chart at these positions and thinks that Playing time is more important than a degree at Tech he will probably WANT to transfer so he can play the sport he loves.

Player turnover is inevitable. It happens all the time, at every school. Look at all of the big name QB transfers this year.. They are leaving because they want to play, and I think some players would respect a coach telling these players that they may not have an opportunity to start (Although, I believe the coach should allow them to try out for another position if this is the case). Look at Dabo and Kelly Bryant as an example. Trevor Lawrence was clearly a better quarterback, and Dabo told Kelly Bryant that he wasn't going to start. Which has allowed him to have another opportunity with Missouri because Dabo didn't use any of his eligibility this year. I can respect that, because if Kelly had been lead on to believe he was going to get playing time (LOOKING AT YOU KIRBY SMART) and used all of his eligibility.. Then his only opportunity to the NFL would have been the combine. That wouldn't have been fair to Kelly Bryant.

Note: If a player decides that the degree is more important then I have a special respect for that type of attitude.

Animal02

Banned
Almost everyone thinks they’re in the majority in these conversations, and there’s really no way to tell.

The bigger question isn’t what is or isn’t a majority opinion, but if we’re doing the right thing the right way. The AA isn’t a charity, but an agreement was made with these student athletes to get them an education and a chance to play football here. We do have to hold up our end of the bargain.

We should also be straight with players about where they stand. Being a junior who is seventh on the depth chart is no fun. But the emphasis should be on being honest, not using it as an tactic to free up scholarships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Exactly.....I have no problem with being honest with players WRT their expected playing time and letting them choose their direction.
I do think that the NCAA rules need changing however, so that when a HC is fired leaves, or retires, that players have a right to transfer.......except to teams within the same league and the team a coach is moving to.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Exactly.....I have no problem with being honest with players WRT their expected playing time and letting them choose their direction.
I do think that the NCAA rules need changing however, so that when a HC is fired leaves, or retires, that players have a right to transfer.......except to teams within the same league and the team a coach is moving to.

One of the few, maybe only good thing the ncaa has done in decades is let SA’s transfer out in these situations and not have to sit a year. A lot of our guys that leave should be good candidates for these exemptions.

Animal02

Banned
If I were a GT player who wanted more PT and thought I might not get it under Collins, I would have already been talking to other coaches during the Christmas break. Maybe just having my parents calling around. Also, if I were a student playing football, I might think I could back off a bit on the work required to play football and get more serious with my studies.

We should know pretty soon how many guys are leaving the program. Spring practice will be a big tell.
Talked to several players parents at the pre game gathering in Detroit. They were still in the dark about how things were going to shake out. I hope this gets cleared up quickly for the kids sake. (I understand it not happening prior to the bowl game)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Talked to several players parents at the pre game gathering in Detroit. They were still in the dark about how things were going to shake out. I hope this gets cleared up quickly for the kids sake. (I understand it not happening prior to the bowl game)

But relationships :D

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How many touches did our many ABacks get this year in CPJ’s offense? They were mainly ABlockers anyway, not ball carriers, so moving to a slot or playing on the other side of the ball would seem more meaningful to most.
Well, in the Quick Lane Bowl, GT ran 44 plays. The quarterbacks kept the ball 31 times. Most of what remained went Bback, a play they actually started running late. But no, it is not unusual for the Abacks to touch the ball four times or less. That's the flaw in the option: often your best athletes don't get to touch the ball.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
You are NOT in the majority if you WANT kids to transfer.

Can you guys say more? GT isn't Mecca for everyone in regards to football, academics, or life. Some people will have more success elsewhere, and I hope our staff is up front about how they are likely to fit in with the new system and what the level of playing time they might expect is so that people can make the best individual decision for themselves. I am A-OK if everyone on the team currently wants to stay regardless of their football prospects. It would make me damn proud of Tech if that were the case, and I would be really cheesed off if anyone who wanted to be here got pushed out regardless of their potential contribution to our team. I also recognize that almost this is not reality regardless of coaching change and that open scholarships will allow us to put a better product on the field. If no one wants to leave, then I don't want people to transfer. But I'd be shocked to see that.

Animal02

Banned
Can you guys say more? GT isn't Mecca for everyone in regards to football, academics, or life. Some people will have more success elsewhere, and I hope our staff is up front about how they are likely to fit in with the new system and what the level of playing time they might expect is so that people can make the best individual decision for themselves. I am A-OK if everyone on the team currently wants to stay regardless of their football prospects. It would make me damn proud of Tech if that were the case, and I would be really cheesed off if anyone who wanted to be here got pushed out regardless of their potential contribution to our team. I also recognize that almost this is not reality regardless of coaching change and that open scholarships will allow us to put a better product on the field. If no one wants to leave, then I don't want people to transfer. But I'd be shocked to see that.
I and several others have said that transfers are expected...it happens every year. The line is crossed with some posters that have stated they HOPED/WANTED kids to transfer/ be processed.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Here's my uneducated guess about what's going to happen. The new coaching staff will review film on every player. They will talk amongst themselves about which ones fit right where they are and which ones would be better in different positions. For the offensive skill position players this may also amount to finding the right position for the kids whose position won't exist anymore. I would further guess that they will have conversations with each player about where they see them in the new systems on offense and defense. I am sure some of those conversations will also be with kids who may think they are going to be starters that our new coaches don't feel will be starters and similarly some will be with kids who didn't think they would be starters that our new coaches think WILL be starters. And I'd also be willing to be there will be some players who will come forward and suggest position changes themselves because they'll see opportunities with the change. And some will not want to stay at GT and will decide to transfer. Some of those conversations will probably see the kid asking the coaches what they think the kid should do, especially in situations where the kid isn't likely to get playing time here but could get playing time elsewhere and the answer might be that if the kid wants playing time and isn't going to get it here then it might be best for him to transfer (and that would be his choice completely). It's possible there will be some upperclassmen who will feel they no longer want to play given all the changes and will finish their degrees at GT. I also imagine there will be some conversations with upperclassmen that the coaches feel aren't going to be in the 2-3 deep where the coaches tell the players that they don't see them in the mix and some of them might choose to leave and some might choose to stay and complete their GT degrees.

And I think all of them will have the option to stay and earn a GT degree if that's what they choose, even if they aren't going to get any playing time. And that's as it should be. And I expect nothing less from GT (and I believe that's exactly what GT will do). Does anyone really expect anything different? Does anyone think that GT will not honor the scholarship of every kid on the team that wants to stay?