Transfers Out

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually CGC is fortunate to be inheriting 5-6 OL, 2-3 LBs, 3-4 DBs, 2-3 BBs, 1-2 possession receivers, a good punter and kicker, and the QB position may surprise him. All these guys listed can play. CGC's biggest challenge is developing depth, and increasing our speed and size over the next couple of years. We should take our lumps next year, show solid improvement in 2020 (maybe not record due to schedule, but in play), and then smoke em in 2021. If 2021 is a historical norm Tech 7-5 year, then we will have made a mistake, or TStan would have been unable to get buy in from The Hill.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I have in at least the majority of my posts on this site and others been primarily concerned with treating the student athletes as students first. I want top notch athletes. I want the players to try their hardest. And I want the team to win. However, my support for the athletic department has more to do with my connection to the school than the results on the field. I will support the team and the athletes. I will support the coach and the athletic administration as long as they support the athletes. I can understand kicking players off of the team who violate rules, don't handle the academics, or who cause culture issues. I will not support the administration or the coach if players are forcibly removed simply to make room for someone who they believe might be better.

I'm a sidewalk fan who agrees. I've always appreciated the fact that Tech isn't a football factory, and that the Institute conducts its football program with honor. And I would be very surprised if that changes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just saw another cryptic tweet from a guy that I was worried about before. Who I thought would really excel under Collins though. I guess we will see. Kids are travelling back and recovering from the game. I suspect we will start seeing notes posted to Twitter in the next few days and weeks ahead, if there are any.
Can you post the tweet? Also anyone else see any tweet please post.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lol I just described what processing is so it's definitely defendable. You don't want bad apples on the team. Again nobody said to get rid of players for no reason.
I get what you are saying now, however I have never heard processing that way. Any time I hear processing it’s used to cut players so that better guys can come in regardless of the circumstance. I think that’s how most on here see that word as well and thats why you are getting backlash.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If I’m not mistaken we are right at 85

Last I heard, we are at 84. If Wells is given one, then we would be at 85.
But obviously, with 2 unsigned commits and several offers out there, Coach Collins is anticipating, or actually knows that several spots are going to open up. Not because he is "running anyone off", but because we always have a few open up...and with a coaching change, we are bound to have a few more than usual. It's unavoidable and not something to worry about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not at all. What I tried to say — apparently feebly — is that the player should have the option to transfer out if that’s what he wants. If he is getting reduced playing time because of the new scheme, but wants to stay for the education, then by all means, he should keep his scholarship.

It seems to me that CGC is saying that the education at GT is an asset and not a liability. Just my view, but it seems to me that he is trying to turn the negative recruiting about the academic rigors into a positive. If other schools tell a recruit about how tough the classwork is, they have already heard about the benefits, so the "negative" recruiting enforces what the GT staff has already told them. If we have 10-15 players leave because they won't get as much playing time in this off season, then the other schools can just say that: "Not even the athletes at GT believe that. They all left just for football reasons. If the education and academics really were important, they would have stayed for those reasons."

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that CGC is saying that the education at GT is an asset and not a liability. Just my view, but it seems to me that he is trying to turn the negative recruiting about the academic rigors into a positive. If other schools tell a recruit about how tough the classwork is, they have already heard about the benefits, so the "negative" recruiting enforces what the GT staff has already told them. If we have 10-15 players leave because they won't get as much playing time in this off season, then the other schools can just say that: "Not even the athletes at GT believe that. They all left just for football reasons. If the education and academics really were important, they would have stayed for those reasons."
He will need the funds to recruit nationally like Stanford and Notre Dame do. I'd love to bring the top SAs in every year, and I think a combination of Southern football and Tech academics can do that. However, that is something that will require recruiting funds in the budget, more staff. If the academic side (donors) wants to maintain this purity, they need to let the GTAA have the monies to accomplish it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
He will need the funds to recruit nationally like Stanford and Notre Dame do. I'd love to bring the top SAs in every year, and I think a combination of Southern football and Tech academics can do that. However, that is something that will require recruiting funds in the budget, more staff. If the academic side wants to maintain this purity, they need to let the GTAA have the monies to accomplish it.

I agree they need more money. The school cannot provide more money, so it isn't up to the school to provide more money to the GTAA. It is up to us fans.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I agree they need more money. The school cannot provide more money, so it isn't up to the school to provide more money to the GTAA. It is up to us fans.
More academic donors need to become fans of the school's profile, sports and all, and realize the benefits of that. Those in the higher echelons of academia are some extremely competitive people. They need to realize the value of fostering competition more broadly. It does no good to wag a finger at me and my 5 figure salary.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yeah so let's pay for six figures for them to go to school while it's clear they shouldn't be on the team. Btw nobody said to just kick ppl off for no reason. We obviously have a few bad apples on the team

Bad apples implies behavior problems. I haven't seen much indication of that. Unless you're using "bad apples" as a dog whistle for "less talented" which, once again, would be processing and show a complete lack of integrity on the part of our program.

Again, indefensible...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
More academic donors need to become fans of the school's profile, sports and all, and realize the benefits of that.

I agree that more people need to donate. My issue is that too many fans want "other people" to buy tickets and donate money. We should concern ourselves first with getting people who watch and pay attention to sports to buy tickets and donate before we try to convince people who don't care about sports to donate. It strikes me as people wanting their entertainment to be better and expecting everyone else except themselves to pay for it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree that more people need to donate. My issue is that too many fans want "other people" to buy tickets and donate money. We should concern ourselves first with getting people who watch and pay attention to sports to buy tickets and donate before we try to convince people who don't care about sports to donate. It strikes me as people wanting their entertainment to be better and expecting everyone else except themselves to pay for it.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Perfect example of how nerds don't understand crap about sports. Yes, Oregon, Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, they all got millions from sidewalk fans, and THEN big money donors chipped in. Not how it works. I feel like I'm talking to HAL.