Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
Potential is what all are banking on...3.5 sacks for a season last season? Wow
we as a forum seem to be so torn on how to approach this team. on one hand we want to moan and complain about how bad we are, constantly say we suck and wallow in self misery. on the other hand everyone who leaves is a death blow and these guys were apparently all super stars. so good the defense was arguably the worst pass defense in the country.

some of our losses are significant no doubt. gibbs was actually a superstar. aside from him ivey and domineck are the only others that seemed to be good players and even then all people can say is “potential” and “poised to break out next season”. if anything theres a lot of counting chickens before they hatch

so i’m not sure how i feel. on one hand i hate to see people leave but on the other i think change could be a good thing for us especially on defense. either way we have had major pieces transfer over the years and ended up ok. we’ll see who steps up and emerges to fill the vacated rolls. i’m fairly confident the rolls will be fulfilled in some aspect. aside from gibbs but i really like dontae as a player and i think he’s a great RB.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
we as a forum seem to be so torn on how to approach this team. on one hand we want to moan and complain about how bad we are, constantly say we suck and wallow in self misery. on the other hand everyone who leaves is a death blow and these guys were apparently all super stars. so good the defense was arguably the worst pass defense in the country.

some of our losses are significant no doubt. gibbs was actually a superstar. aside from him ivey and domineck are the only others that seemed to be good players and even then all people can say is “potential” and “poised to break out next season”. if anything theres a lot of counting chickens before they hatch

so i’m not sure how i feel. on one hand i hate to see people leave but on the other i think change could be a good thing for us especially on defense. either way we have had major pieces transfer over the years and ended up ok. we’ll see who steps up and emerges to fill the vacated rolls. i’m fairly confident the rolls will be fulfilled in some aspect. aside from gibbs but i really like dontae as a player and i think he’s a great RB.
I think we are out of patience for potential...
Winning ugly is winning and AOK working with the folks we have. The sky is not falling, make it happen next year, it's a great opportunity. Take advantage of it and have fun.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
losing production off of one of the worst-ranked defenses isn't as big a deal as losing a lot of all-conference players, but we really need some of the transfers and younger recruits to step up and more than fill the gap. The new coaches and remaining players have a big task ahead of them.
The only thing that makes it not as big a deal is that we don't have so far to fall.
They really do have a big task ahead of them, amen.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Can our defense be any worse in 2022 than it was in 2021? I wish the players that left well but I'm not crying for anyone (from the 2021 defense) that leaves Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sanders sure seemed like he contributed. Especially against Duke. Your shtick about all CPJ recruited players being terrible and useless is getting pretty old.
I was thinking the same thing. Sanders was the most sure handed receiver we had left on the team. I liked him in high school and felt like he would do well anywhere if used correctly by a college coaching staff.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I told you that Sanders contributed. You seem to think that because Sanders didn't have 2000 yards receiving and didn't transfer to Ohio State that he didn't contribute. I simply disagree with that. If Sims went into the portal and failed to transfer to a P5 team would you say that he didn't contribute while he was here?
Good point. I doubt any school would pick up Sims at this point. Certainly not a P5 school. 3-9 seasons kind of make everyone look bad, even the water boy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
“Uncertainty with the program.” Whether that is a fair assessment of the program or not it strikes me as a rather restrained response from a player who feels things are precarious and he needs to “save himself.”
I can't help but wonder if our fuzzy DC situation has something to do with this.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
“Uncertainty with the program.” Whether that is a fair assessment of the program or not it strikes me as a rather restrained response from a player who feels things are precarious and he needs to “save himself.”
I'm not sure if that is an accurate take or not. It is an extremely vague statement. Is it referring to uncertainty with the future of the program, as you seem to have taken it, or is it referring to uncertainty of his role going forward with the coaching changes/possible scheme changes? I don't think anyone is going to publicly air actual reasons. However, people are going to take vague explanations and fit it to whatever they think is going on.

Jolly Good Fellow
We really need Geoff to figure it out for 2022.
As we all know, the NIL and free agency (portal) have changed college football forever. Pandora's box has been opened and cannot be closed. And, as many of you have anticipated and predicted, sometime soon (2030-ish) the FBS will fragment ..... there will be the "have's" (approx, the top 50 programs) and the "have not's" (us, right now)... the conferences are dead men walking.. the "Super-Conference" will emerge.... There can be little argument about who will be among the top thirty programs...our CFB future is to be in that group from 30-50. So that, once in a "blue moon-1990-Joe Hamilton-2014" moment, GT might catch lightening in a bottle....
We can't get there going 3-9 again ..then firing Geoff...and doing another three year re-build.... by 2026, the Super Conference planners will be making decisions between GT (avg attendance 30K+/-) and WVU (avg attendance 80K)...if decision is close, we are dead...
Let's go Geoff...Tech nation is rooting for you...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if that is an accurate take or not. It is an extremely vague statement. Is it referring to uncertainty with the future of the program, as you seem to have taken it, or is it referring to uncertainty of his role going forward with the coaching changes/possible scheme changes? I don't think anyone is going to publicly air actual reasons. However, people are going to take vague explanations and fit it to whatever they think is going on.
I don’t think it’s that vague... Collins’ future is pretty uncertain. A kid with 3 years of eligibility left is likely going to be proving himself to a new coach. It’s not a tremendous vote of confidence for Collins... then again, these kids grew up communicating via text, Twitter and soc media... who knows what they actually meant to write! :ROFLMAO:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One thing to keep in mind with Spring Practice on the horizon: Coaches sitting down with players and having an open discussion with them about their roles going forward and how the coaches think they may fit better in a different role. Some players accept the challenge and move forward in a new role...others look for a way out to continue a role they personally feel is better for themselves. That's nothing on the players, it's their playing time and what they want to carve out for their careers. With a lot of new coaches, some of them probably view the existing players through different lenses than the previous position coach.

An example: Tevin Washington. CPJ tried to get him to move to AB, but TW was adamant about staying at QB. CPJ told TW he might eventually be buried at QB. TW's stubborness paid off, and he would go on to lead some of college football's most efficient offenses.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s not either/or in my opinion. Uncertainty is in the air. We all know that. Every player will make a personal decision on how comfortable they are with that uncertainty. No player feels completely secure right now but some have more confidence in the program than others.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
That statement speaks volumes to me. This is not trending well for coach. He may be out halfway through the season.

JacketFan137

Banned
That statement speaks volumes to me. This is not trending well for coach. He may be out halfway through the season.
i wouldn’t get your hopes up. if we were auburn or tennessee maybe. we aren’t exactly rich and the buyout drops significantly after the season ends.

unless the coaching carousel goes crazy and we feel like we have to fire him to get a coach we want, it would be so dumb for us to fire him during the season and lose money that would be better spent on his replacement