Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
Aaron McLaughlin from NCSU entering portal . Played at Denmark HS in Cumming GA. Guess we are full at QB. Would have 4 years. HS stats were impressive.
yeah he is leaving one crowded qb room i don’t think we’re a realistic target right now since we have 3 guys who have a lot of eligibility left that will compete for the job

thecrowdedbooth

Georgia Tech Fan
He sees the high probability of a HC change sometime this fall and doesn't want to be a part of the accompanying uncertainty that would necessarily come with that. We are in for a long slog if we don't end up at least .500 for the season. What's your plan, Tstan?
Or...and just hear me out. He sees the writing on the wall.

He didn't wow anyone during his time here and others guys are healthy and more talented. So he sees the writing on the wall, and decides to take a shot with that comment as a parting gift.

Listen, everyone outside of Gibbs isn't that big of a loss in the grand scheme. The sooner you can look at this from a big picture and realize that JD or WW wasn't and hadn;t pushed you over the top ... it's okay. It really is

TwinTownTony

Jolly Good Fellow
That statement speaks volumes to me. This is not trending well for coach. He may be out halfway through the season.

I keep seeing people saying stuff like this and I wonder why. What in the world makes anybody think that GT is the type of school that would be firing a football coach mid season? How often does this happen overall in college? Those that can/do it are in a much different financial situation than Tech. I don't think it matters what happens this season, CGC will be on the sideline the entire time. There may be a move after the season but I am just having a hard time seeing a world in which it happens mid season.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing people saying stuff like this and I wonder why. What in the world makes anybody think that GT is the type of school that would be firing a football coach mid season? How often does this happen overall in college? Those that can/do it are in a much different financial situation than Tech. I don't think it matters what happens this season, CGC will be on the sideline the entire time. There may be a move after the season but I am just having a hard time seeing a world in which it happens mid season.

It depends if the defense sucks but the offense is completely 180d into something good. You might see a move made with Long as the coaching for his job coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

With respect to gtRob, I don't intend to impeach his character, just hazarding a guess to your question.

I think it's wishful thinking. A lot of folks here want him gone so there's a tendency to take anything that's said/done as a hint that he's gonna be fired.

I wouldn't read much into departing players' statements. Just wish them well and move on.

JacketFan137

Banned
Or...and just hear me out. He sees the writing on the wall.

He didn't wow anyone during his time here and others guys are healthy and more talented. So he sees the writing on the wall, and decides to take a shot with that comment as a parting gift.

Listen, everyone outside of Gibbs isn't that big of a loss in the grand scheme. The sooner you can look at this from a big picture and realize that JD or WW wasn't and hadn;t pushed you over the top ... it's okay. It really is
he was on the secondary that may have been the worst in program history. tbh i think the shot about uncertainty in the program is really unprofessional and immature considering he certainly played his part in the whole debacle on defense.

this one is certainly not a huge loss

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't see a midseason firing either. Tech just does not do things that way. Florida infamously fired Ron Zook in mid season after losing to Mississippi State. Wags on Gator Bait claimed that Athletic Director Jeremy Foley got his "bell rung" (so to speak) by the State fans in Starkville to the point that he fired Zook on the Monday after the game buyout be damned. Tennessee goes through coaches like peanuts with seemingly no ill effect on their athletic budget. Tech cannot or will not do things that way. They can find more creative ways of alienating fans and wasting money.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
he was on the secondary that may have been the worst in program history. tbh i think the shot about uncertainty in the program is really unprofessional and immature considering he certainly played his part in the whole debacle on defense.

So Wesley has had several years to go down the runway and try to really fly.
He has less runway left than some of the new younger guys. We have new db coaches. Maybe his old gt recruiter will pick him up at his college.

JacketFan137

Banned
So Wesley has had several years to go down the runway and try to really fly.
He has less runway left than some of the new younger guys. We have new db coaches. Maybe his old gt recruiter will pick him up at his college.
yeah i have a feeling that he was told it was open competition for his spot heading into spring practice and he doesn’t want to risk being benched

the uncertainty in the program has been here for a while, at least since the season ended. had he said this in december i may have been on board but saying that two weeks before spring camp makes me feel like they sat down with him and said he’s not a guaranteed starter

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

These are "men" who we like to think of them as "men" but they really are not in terms of thinking and planning ahead. Give them some slack, let them say their piece, and move on. As you implied, many if not most of them, are moving on for a reason. They have been weighed in the balance by coaches and found wanting for one reason or another. A few, like Gibbs, are genuinely interested in playing for a winning team and enhancing their resume. Caveat emptor applies to them as well. The grass just might not be that much greener on the other side of the fence. From my limited perspective, it would appear the portal is not the panacea for college football programs. Most of the players coming to Tech have not caught "lightning in a bottle" and have, at best, been serviceable place holders. If an athletic director has a vision of joining the elite club of true football factories, the portal is not the way to go about it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I don't see a midseason firing either. Tech just does not do things that way. Florida infamously fired Ron Zook in mid season after losing to Mississippi State. Wags on Gator Bait claimed that Athletic Director Jeremy Foley got his "bell rung" (so to speak) by the State fans in Starkville to the point that he fired Zook on the Monday after the game buyout be damned. Tennessee goes through coaches like peanuts with seemingly no ill effect on their athletic budget. Tech cannot or will not do things that way. They can find more creative ways of alienating fans and wasting money.
We'd have to have a meltdown the size of Chernobyl to fire Geoff midseason. It would cost what, $7 million?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
He sees the high probability of a HC change sometime this fall and doesn't want to be a part of the accompanying uncertainty that would necessarily come with that. We are in for a long slog if we don't end up at least .500 for the season. What's your plan, Tstan?
TStan's plan is to wait until the end of the season and then assess our situation.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
For the last decade the Tech default way is spend the absolute minimum on coaches.

I am hoping CGC has miraculously learned to see what is reality and RAPIDLY build from there.

After he does better (5W) in 22, the Tech way will be to keep him in 23 with ZERO increase in $. Of course we will keep saying the coaching sucks during all of 23.

At my company we paid medium salaries and big bonuses. At first we where giving away excess money to performing staff. But we used the USMC model - that said get better at a rapid rate or u are fired. Quality people self recruited to my company. When we became known for that , we got fortune 100 clients who were glad to pay $.

At end of 22 if CGC is still here we need to put in $$ and get some better staff.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Would we have been better off keeping a triple option roster? I get we have seen an uptick in recruiting and getting more interest from higher rated players. But now we're seeing it was just in time for "free agency" to start and allow big budget teams to poach the best of our roster. If we still had an "inferior" roster, we would lose less to the money game and have a more consistent roster. I know we're not going back to a triple option offense, just a thought on how completely unlucky the timing of this all has been.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
How many times does it have to be repeated that the money is already available? Every additional second we hold on to CGC and TStan puts us further and further into the hole. Both are dead men walking, and are actively hampering the growth of our program for their own self interests. They have done nonstop damage to the program since the 2019 season started. If we wait until the end of this coming season to "assess the situation" we will have scraps to choose from and we will stay bottom of the barrel for the foreseeable future.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would we have been better off keeping a triple option roster? I get we have seen an uptick in recruiting and getting more interest from higher rated players. But now we're seeing it was just in time for "free agency" to start and allow big budget teams to poach the best of our roster. If we still had an "inferior" roster, we would lose less to the money game and have a more consistent roster. I know we're not going back to a triple option offense, just a thought on how completely unlucky the timing of this all has been.
That's a good question. Makes sense that a TO offense would be less vulnerable to poaching.

JacketFan137

Banned
How many times does it have to be repeated that the money is already available? Every additional second we hold on to CGC and TStan puts us further and further into the hole. Both are dead men walking, and are actively hampering the growth of our program for their own self interests. They have done nonstop damage to the program since the 2019 season started. If we wait until the end of this coming season to "assess the situation" we will have scraps to choose from and we will stay bottom of the barrel for the foreseeable future.
there is money available but i personally think it would be better to wait until the end of the season comes and save that money to actually hire a quality coach rather than repeat this process after we hire another less than stellar coaching choice

Techster

Helluva Engineer
there is money available but i personally think it would be better to wait until the end of the season comes and save that money to actually hire a quality coach rather than repeat this process after we hire another less than stellar coaching choice

Donors also need to let TStan do his job and not lobbying for certain guys...unless that certain guy is someone like Lincoln Riley/Nick Saban. :)