Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
think about if someone is talking and said this would you know what he meant?
Yes, because unlike "Let's eat grandma", there is a pause between "eat" and "grandma" in "Let's eat, grandma."

Also, differing inflections and accents in the pronunciations of the two sentences would be further clues as to meaning.

But in your post, I and I think probably most knew what you meant. I find the way your posts are written gives them a certain charm. Call it "poetic license" ;=).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yes, because unlike "Let's eat grandma", there is a pause between "eat" and "grandma" in "Let's eat, grandma."

Also, differing inflections and accents in the pronunciations of the two sentences would be further clues as to meaning.

But in your post, I and I think probably most knew what you meant. I find the way your posts are written gives them a certain charm. Call it "poetic license" ;=).
Well I guess this is the problem with CGC he talks and does not pause.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jesus how many are left from the 19 class?
I don't understand the logic for some of these portal guys. A 2019 recruit has three years toward a degree from a top university, paid for by the State of Georgia, and playing time at a P5 team. You put all that aside for what? A maybe starting job at a lesser school in a G5 or FCS school? Plus, every transfer leaves class credits in the gutter and makes that degree harder to finish. I bet the portal guys going to the NFL is <1%, so they need to finish their education. Jeez!

JacketFan137

Banned
I don't understand the logic for some of these portal guys. A 2019 recruit has three years toward a degree from a top university, paid for by the State of Georgia, and playing time at a P5 team. You put all that aside for what? A maybe starting job at a lesser school in a G5 or FCS school? Plus, every transfer leaves class credits in the gutter and makes that degree harder to finish. I bet the portal guys going to the NFL is <1%, so they need to finish their education. Jeez!
so far outside of ivey and gibbs it seems like everyone has gone down a level or is stuck in the portal.

would love to see the total number of power 5 portal entries that stay power 5. i bet it’s a pretty underwhelming number.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree.

For years we have discussed the eccentric decision making of student athletes. They frequently seem to make long term life changing decisions based on fleeting emotions. In the moment the grass looks greener somewhere else and the current situation looks intolerable. Whatever it was they were expecting their current situation doesn’t feel like what they signed up for.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
No matter what anyone wants to believe, most of these guys do not care about the education. That is not a blanket statement, because a decent proportion do, but in no way, do I believe it is the majority. I have said for a long time, I wish there had been a semi-pro league for high schoolers who want to play football but have no desire for the "student" part of it.

I don't in anyway disagree with what you are saying, but these 19, 20, and 21 year olds have not developed a true sense of "the world" yet. It is "logical", many of them are not. It is hard to convince them sometimes.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
No matter what anyone wants to believe, most of these guys do not care about the education. That is not a blanket statement, because a decent proportion do, but in no way, do I believe it is the majority. I have said for a long time, I wish there had been a semi-pro league for high schoolers who want to play football but have no desire for the "student" part of it.

I don't in anyway disagree with what you are saying, but these 19, 20, and 21 year olds have not developed a true sense of "the world" yet. It is "logical", many of them are not. It is hard to convince them sometimes.
I understand your point, but it has an undertone that makes me uncomfortable. If the education is not important, then why enter the portal? Transferring to another college doesn't remove that requirement to work toward a degree. If you have been at GT for almost six semesters and remained eligible you have had some success in the classroom. I don't think "not caring about the education" is a major issue. Kids who have played a sport for ten years, and been one of the best players on the field most of their lives, don't give up the dream easily. I just worry that this current tramsfer environment is a more problematic that we initally thought.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I understand your point, but it has an undertone that makes me uncomfortable. If the education is not important, then why enter the portal? Transferring to another college doesn't remove that requirement to work toward a degree. If you have been at GT for almost six semesters and remained eligible you have had some success in the classroom. I don't think "not caring about the education" is a major issue. Kids who have played a sport for ten years, and been one of the best players on the field most of their lives, don't give up the dream easily. I just worry that this current tramsfer environment is a more problematic that we initally thought.
The current environment over-promises on many levels. MANY LEVELS from the coach’s sales pitch, to the “easy” academic support resources, to the star ratings, NIL riches, to “pro offenses,” to starting and being a big man on campus. This happens at an age and stage of development that already has trouble with delayed gratification.

Yeah, a semi pro league would make sense for a lot of these guys. More of a direct connection between what is promised and what is delivered, along with a more direct correlation between effort and reward without all the background noise of how great they are.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree with every one of your points. I did not mean to make you feel "uncomfortable". I saw this with my own children, one of which made a perfect SAT and ACT and the other made a 35/2370. I wish they were all concerned with their future and realizing they need a career field, but most of them are not that way at the young ages. They are not always thinking clearly at these younger ages; the logic has not "clicked" in. I was a strange young person who was "worried" about my future as a very young child/teen, so I kind of was driven by that concern. A lot of these guys are not yet driven to do the things we know are best for them. Many, unfortunately, see the pro sports athletes as their idols and people they look up to. So, that is their starry dream, and ball is their outlet, their "thing". Academics may very well not be. Also, we sell so many young people a "bill of goods" about a college education. Yes, a STEM degree from a great school like GT will make a huge difference in their lives, but most colleges are just handing out paper in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with every one of your points. I did not mean to make you feel "uncomfortable". I saw this with my own children, one of which made a perfect SAT and ACT and the other made a 35/2370. I wish they were all concerned with their future and realizing they need a career field, but most of them are not that way at the young ages. They are not always thinking clearly at these younger ages; the logic has not "clicked" in. I was a strange young person who was "worried" about my future as a very young child/teen, so I kind of was driven by that concern. A lot of these guys are not yet driven to do the things we know are best for them. Many, unfortunately, see the pro sports athletes as their idols and people they look up to. So, that is their starry dream, and ball is their outlet, their "thing". Academics may very well not be. Also, we sell so many young people a "bill of goods" about a college education. Yes, a STEM degree from a great school like GT will make a huge difference in their lives, but most colleges are just handing out paper in a lot of cases.
Maybe it is not an academic issue for some of them. Maybe some want to win and do not see it happening here. And maybe some were affected by the Red Sea that was the UGA game last year when the home fans failed to show up. Who knows? They may all have different reasons. But it is clear the defensive depth has taken a major hit.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Good point. It almost enables awful knee jerk decisions that will likely do irrevocable damage to some of these guy's lives.
Not to mention that NIL was supposed to be there to get players paid for all their hard work.

I would love to see a statistic that shows what percent of players are actually getting paid anything of substance. I bet it is a very small percentile. Which goes at odds against the team spirit of the sport if you stop to think about it.

I suspect it is still limited, even on most factory teams (maybe, at least any payment of substance).

It also seems that now we have more players leaving than most other schools at this point and seems like there's still more to come.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Jesus how many are left from the 19 class?
First, let me say I don't care for CGC, but I still want to see us win. But the 2019 class was really not CGC class even if they signed with him. Our AD told him to honor them if they had committed to Tech, something most thought was a good idea but maybe it wasn't. Now he did add a few but I really don't remember which ones or how many of them are still here.