Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can understand a kid that can graduate this spring and has eligibility left to transfer with new coaches, our past record, etc. I would have expected for them to leave before spring practice but they may be close enough to graduate after this spring. The upperclassmen have put in a lot of effort to get this far. They need to finish and then transfer if that is what they want. The COVID year has really exacerbated the whole transfer thing. Must be driving a lot of coaches crazy.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
And the "free fallin'" continues. You can say what you want about any of these guys, but depth will be important, and we don't have much.
I liked Wesley and the way he played but we have plenty of depth at the DB position. The transfers we did bring in (Khari Gee and Ahmari Harvey) softens the blow of this loss. We do lose a lot of experience though, I'm not sure how much either of them played at their previous destinations if at all.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Spring practice starts Tuesday. I think it is safe to say that’s the first day of the rest of Collins’ head coaching life. He’s got a long way to go and a short time to get there, if he hopes to stick around.

JacketFan137

Banned
Good point. It almost enables awful knee jerk decisions that will likely do irrevocable damage to some of these guy's lives.
Not to mention that NIL was supposed to be there to get players paid for all their hard work.

I would love to see a statistic that shows what percent of players are actually getting paid anything of substance. I bet it is a very small percentile. Which goes at odds against the team spirit of the sport if you stop to think about it.

I suspect it is still limited, even on most factory teams (maybe, at least any payment of substance).

It also seems that now we have more players leaving than most other schools at this point and seems like there's still more to come.
so right now i think we’ve had 13 players leave. the only ones that really were contributors were gibbs, ivey and domineck. a lot of the other guys were bench guys or guys that really don’t contribute anyway like adonicas sanders

across the ACC there are schools with as many or equal departures. granted none of them were as good as gibbs but schools like virginia with 21, florida state with 18, clemson with 11, and unc with 13 out so different schools are certainly seeing turnover. our two late ones in ivey and domineck are unfortunate but there’s a lot of other schools with late departures too. it’s just not really big news in the CFB world cause it’s not really marquee players.

our net gain in average rating via 24/7 is actually positive because some of the guys we brought in are pretty good and most of our losses are guys like yates, peery and sanders that aren’t very good/didn’t play

slugboy

Staff member
Add Wes Walker to the portal.
This was probably one of Walker's better years. He'd been getting reps the last two seasons.

TackDef Fumb
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
2019Georgia TechACCFRDB22130.00.0000000
2020Georgia TechACCFRDB103018482.00.0000400
2021Georgia TechACCFRDB102420440.00.0000212
CareerGeorgia Tech5639952.00.0000612

Provided by CFB at Sports Reference: View Original Table
Generated 2/20/2022.

I had thought that players would wait until after Spring practice to evaluate where they stood and how they fit with their new coaches. Likewise, I thought the coaches would (mostly) want to see practice reps with their own eyes. Some decisions are obviously getting made before Spring practice.

If it's the players deciding that they want to look elsewhere, I understand some of the pros of going into the portal now--Spring practice is a grind, it carries a risk of getting hurt, classes are a lot of work and it's nice to be able to focus on them. Your access to tutoring and academic services is guaranteed while you're in the portal. So is your access to medical services.
Your access to the locker room and the weight room and training facilities is up in the air. Your scholarship is too--the school can pull your scholarship the instant you go into the portal.

It's also possible that coaches are telling players they're on the outs now, or that it's mutual.

Some info on the portal and what it means for players (2019, but I think it's still accurate): https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

I still really like Domineck. There's been some "it's only 3.5 sacks we're losing" comments, but it's not like we had a ton coming from elsewhere. His stats weren't heavily against Northern Illinois and KSU--he'd spread them out through the season. I don't know what schools play a 3-4, though, which cuts down on the places he fits easily as a 3-4 OLB.

Depending on where you look, Charlie Thomas was our best-rated player, and he's still here, but we've lost some important production to graduation and the portal. On one hand, losing production off of one of the worst-ranked defenses isn't as big a deal as losing a lot of all-conference players, but we really need some of the transfers and younger recruits to step up and more than fill the gap. The new coaches and remaining players have a big task ahead of them.

TackTackTackTackTack
RkPlayerGSoloAstTotLossSkV
1Jordan Domineck111820385.53.5
2Charlie Thomas1235357010.03.0
3Quez Jackson1245571027.02.0
4Kyle Kennard9510153.52.0
5Quon Griffin66392.02.0
6Jared Ivey112012326.01.5
7Juanyeh Thomas113739765.01.0
8Tre Swilling101914332.01.0
9Zamari Walton8135182.01.0
10Sylvain Yondjouen875121.01.0
11T.K. Chimedza566121.01.0
12Ayinde Eley114246882.50.5
13Mike Lockhart62791.50.5

Generated 2/20/2022.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Guess I'm old school but if a kid entered the portal I would ask to meet with them and tell them these are the things we will honor and these are the things you will lose while still here. I would only honor those things mandatory by the NCAA. Can't always have it both ways in life. Some of these guys may be on the other sideline you will be playing so do you want them in your locker room getting ready for next year when they are leaving? Also can be a negative on the guys still in the program if they are unhappy.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
so right now i think we’ve had 13 players leave. the only ones that really were contributors were gibbs, ivey and domineck. a lot of the other guys were bench guys or guys that really don’t contribute anyway like adonicas sanders

across the ACC there are schools with as many or equal departures. granted none of them were as good as gibbs but schools like virginia with 21, florida state with 18, clemson with 11, and unc with 13 out so different schools are certainly seeing turnover. our two late ones in ivey and domineck are unfortunate but there’s a lot of other schools with late departures too. it’s just not really big news in the CFB world cause it’s not really marquee players.

our net gain in average rating via 24/7 is actually positive because some of the guys we brought in are pretty good and most of our losses are guys like yates, peery and sanders that aren’t very good/didn’t play
Sanders sure seemed like he contributed. Especially against Duke. Your shtick about all CPJ recruited players being terrible and useless is getting pretty old.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
This was probably one of Walker's better years. He'd been getting reps the last two seasons.

TackDefFumb

Generated 2/20/2022.

I had thought that players would wait until after Spring practice to evaluate where they stood and how they fit with their new coaches. Likewise, I thought the coaches would (mostly) want to see practice reps with their own eyes. Some decisions are obviously getting made before Spring practice.

If it's the players deciding that they want to look elsewhere, I understand some of the pros of going into the portal now--Spring practice is a grind, it carries a risk of getting hurt, classes are a lot of work and it's nice to be able to focus on them. Your access to tutoring and academic services is guaranteed while you're in the portal. So is your access to medical services.
Your access to the locker room and the weight room and training facilities is up in the air. Your scholarship is too--the school can pull your scholarship the instant you go into the portal.

It's also possible that coaches are telling players they're on the outs now, or that it's mutual.

Some info on the portal and what it means for players (2019, but I think it's still accurate): https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2019/may/06/how-does-the-ncaa-transfer-portal-work/

I still really like Domineck. There's been some "it's only 3.5 sacks we're losing" comments, but it's not like we had a ton coming from elsewhere. His stats weren't heavily against Northern Illinois and KSU--he'd spread them out through the season. I don't know what schools play a 3-4, though, which cuts down on the places he fits easily as a 3-4 OLB.

Depending on where you look, Charlie Thomas was our best-rated player, and he's still here, but we've lost some important production to graduation and the portal. On one hand, losing production off of one of the worst-ranked defenses isn't as big a deal as losing a lot of all-conference players, but we really need some of the transfers and younger recruits to step up and more than fill the gap. The new coaches and remaining players have a big task ahead of them.

TackTackTackTackTack
5Quon Griffin66392.02.0

Generated 2/20/2022.

Yea a lot of twitter spin about him. Bottom line is he was top 3 in de snaps with Ivey and they are both gone with eligibility remaining.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand the logic for some of these portal guys. A 2019 recruit has three years toward a degree from a top university, paid for by the State of Georgia, and playing time at a P5 team. You put all that aside for what? A maybe starting job at a lesser school in a G5 or FCS school? Plus, every transfer leaves class credits in the gutter and makes that degree harder to finish. I bet the portal guys going to the NFL is <1%, so they need to finish their education. Jeez!
At this point most of the guys in the transfer portal probably know there is a significant chance that they are ending their careers or dropping down to a much lower level. They just want to be out of the situation they are in. I never really fault anyone who isn't happy, making changes to their life to try and fix that.

JacketFan137

Banned
Sanders sure seemed like he contributed. Especially against Duke. Your shtick about all CPJ recruited players being terrible and useless is getting pretty old.
he was important that game but i’m sorry a guy that averages 278 yards a year and 33 receiving yards per game is hardly something to worry about.

he just wasn’t productive for whatever reason and acting like he was is really dishonest. that is the definition of replaceable production.

there’s plenty of johnson guys that performed and we’ll miss. mason was great, quez jackson, juanyeh, tariq etc were all solid. looking forward to seeing dontae in a bigger roll as well. the reality is though most of johnson’s last 3 recruiting classes are filled with guys that haven’t seen much of any play time, guys that transferred out and guys that were just the definition of replaceable.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
he was important that game but i’m sorry a guy that averages 278 yards a year and 33 receiving yards per game is hardly something to worry about.

he just wasn’t productive for whatever reason and acting like he was is really dishonest. that is the definition of replaceable production.

there’s plenty of johnson guys that performed and we’ll miss. mason was great, quez jackson, juanyeh, tariq etc were all solid. looking forward to seeing dontae in a bigger roll as well. the reality is though most of johnson’s last 3 recruiting classes are filled with guys that haven’t seen much of any play time, guys that transferred out and guys that were just the definition of replaceable.
He ended with 362 yards receiving and 3 TD. Good for 4th on the team and 2nd on the team. We would have lost to Duke without him, and he played a good game against VT giving us a chance to win that one. He didn't put up Jordan Addison numbers, but then again nobody on our team did. Our passing game is awful in general. That would be a product of poor QB play, poor OL play and bad play calling. To say Sanders didn't contribute though is nonsense.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Spring practice starts Tuesday. I think it is safe to say that’s the first day of the rest of Collins’ head coaching life. He’s got a long way to go and a short time to get there, if he hopes to stick around.
I always wonder about him, if he really acknowledges the perilous place he has put himself in. Is he self aware at all ? Mostly because of his use of words such as elite and high level about his team when, in fact, they were anything but.
Mods" prolly tmhunter and me belong in the fire collins thread. Amiright ?

JacketFan137

Banned
He ended with 362 yards receiving and 3 TD. Good for 4th on the team and 2nd on the team. We would have lost to Duke without him, and he played a good game against VT giving us a chance to win that one. He didn't put up Jordan Addison numbers, but then again nobody on our team did. Our passing game is awful in general. That would be a product of poor QB play, poor OL play and bad play calling. To say Sanders didn't contribute though is nonsense.
so what you’ve told me is in a poor passing team a WR that didn’t even standout on a week to week basis is leaving.

at some point we have to face the reality that the team went 3-9 and some of that is because players simply weren’t good. collins/patenaude are goofballs for sure and i’m sure they didn’t get the most out of our players, but look at where some of our players that left are. if they were so great they would be getting looks from bigger schools. out of the guys that left the only ones that have found schools yet are gibbs, ivey and jaquon griffin. i presume domineck will find a school soon as well. if the players were so great and productive why has it taken them months to find a new location?

JacketFan137

Banned

TackDefFumb

Generated 2/20/2022.

TackTackTackTackTack
5Quon Griffin66392.02.0

Generated 2/20/2022.
don’t wanna jinx it but i’m surprised charlie thomas didn’t transfer or enter the draft. his stats jump off the table on here. definitely seemed like our most consistent guy week to week

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
so what you’ve told me is in a poor passing team a WR that didn’t even standout on a week to week basis is leaving.

at some point we have to face the reality that the team went 3-9 and some of that is because players simply weren’t good. collins/patenaude are goofballs for sure and i’m sure they didn’t get the most out of our players, but look at where some of our players that left are. if they were so great they would be getting looks from bigger schools. out of the guys that left the only ones that have found schools yet are gibbs, ivey and jaquon griffin. i presume domineck will find a school soon as well. if the players were so great and productive why has it taken them months to find a new location?
I told you that Sanders contributed. You seem to think that because Sanders didn't have 2000 yards receiving and didn't transfer to Ohio State that he didn't contribute. I simply disagree with that. If Sims went into the portal and failed to transfer to a P5 team would you say that he didn't contribute while he was here?

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
My understanding is that the school cannot pull the scholarship until the next semester

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
Domineck had the most sacks on the team. He had the most tackles on the DL. Ivey had the most solo tackles on the DL, but Domineck was second. He started most of the games this season, and played in nearly all if not all.
He wasn’t starting at the end of the season.
Potential is what all are banking on...3.5 sacks for a season last season? Wow

JacketFan137

Banned
I told you that Sanders contributed. You seem to think that because Sanders didn't have 2000 yards receiving and didn't transfer to Ohio State that he didn't contribute. I simply disagree with that. If Sims went into the portal and failed to transfer to a P5 team would you say that he didn't contribute while he was here?
QB is a little bit different of a position than WR so it’s not really a 1:1 comparison and even as a big sims believer at this point i don’t think he’s done very much as a whole.