Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
AMEN. Even the top schools make mistakes on recruiting someone. If they were a 4 star coming out of HS, but have barely moved up the depth chart after 2 years, it could be that they were overrated by the recruiting services. OTOH, coaches make mistakes on evaluating what they have also, even Kirby didn't like Bennett for his first couple of years. I had extremely high hopes for Clayton, but for whatever reason.............
Clemson learned the hard way with their QB transition with no competition at back up...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think a good argument can be made for concentrating more on those types of guys than the former top 250 4 star players who couldn't get playing time at the schools they chose.

Transfers should no longer really be viewed as all the same, or all that similar. It's silly to view freshmen who redshirted in the same light as 4th year players transferring for their last year in terms of valuing play time at a previous stop.

For instance, Johnson, Cochran, and Eley all redshirted as freshmen and didn't play that year. So all three of them couldn't get playing time at the schools they chose during the same period that is being judged for the other recruits.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Transfers should no longer really be viewed as all the same, or all that similar. It's silly to view freshmen who redshirted in the same light as 4th year players transferring for their last year in terms of valuing play time at a previous stop.

For instance, Johnson, Cochran, and Eley all redshirted as freshmen and didn't play that year. So all three of them couldn't get playing time at the schools they chose during the same period that is being judged for the other recruits.
Freshmen who redshirted and transferred immediately aren't really the most common case of transfers. We have brought in 19 transfers in the last three years (so far), and only two of them were freshmen who just redshirted. I agree that they are a bit different than the guys who just finished their 2nd or 3rd year without much playing time. I still prefer 3rd and 4th year guys who are either grad transfers or moving on from coaching changes or whatever else. I just don't think many really young guys are transferring down and finding great success.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While it is not a perfect I do think that in general the transfers that have done better have been the ones that played significant snaps at their previous schools. Guys like McGowan, Cochran, Johnson, Cimaglia, etc. Guys who were highly ranked out of HS but haven't played much at their previous stop have not been able to make as much of a contribution. There are exceptions to this both ways, but I feel like in general that has held pretty well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
While it is not a perfect I do think that in general the transfers that have done better have been the ones that played significant snaps at their previous schools. Guys like McGowan, Cochran, Johnson, Cimaglia, etc. Guys who were highly ranked out of HS but haven't played much at their previous stop have not been able to make as much of a contribution. There are exceptions to this both ways, but I feel like in general that has held pretty well.
Stands to reason, but it doesn't preclude a transferring redshirt freshman from making an impact. Freshmen aren't generally going to get a lot of playing time. If they've been on the bench two or three years, probably not. But you also have to look at where they're coming from and who they had playing in front of them. There's a heightened possibility that transfers from Alabama and Clemson are going to be able to help us out. Their bench is probably stronger than our starters in places, especially on the offensive line. It's a process. Are they going to come in here and propel us to the Orange Bowl? No. But they could help us take a step toward that goal somewhere down the line.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Freshmen who redshirted and transferred immediately aren't really the most common case of transfers. We have brought in 19 transfers in the last three years (so far), and only two of them were freshmen who just redshirted. I agree that they are a bit different than the guys who just finished their 2nd or 3rd year without much playing time. I still prefer 3rd and 4th year guys who are either grad transfers or moving on from coaching changes or whatever else. I just don't think many really young guys are transferring down and finding great success.
  • Ahmari Harvey - class of 2021, did not get into any games at Auburn, candidate for redshirt and would have 4 years to play
  • Khari Gee - class of 2021, candidate for redshirt, has 4 years to play
  • Makius Scott - class of 2020, did not play his true frosh year, candidate for redshirt and would have 4 years to play (when he got here last year)
  • Myles Sims - class of 2018, did not play his true frosh year, candidate for redshirt, got immediate eligibility and had 4 years to play when he got here
BTW I’m not counting the COVID year to add a 4th. Some of these kids would get a 5th due to the COVID year. The 4 years I counted are just ones they could have as if there was no COVID year. Also, I have zero issue with your preference for 3rd and 4th year guys. Totally respect that. I consider younger kids you pull out of the portal to have very similar risk to ones coming out of HS but it sure looks like a bunch of the guys we go after and get are ones we had targeted in recruiting out of HS and are getting them 1 year later and, not counting the COVID year, they have 4 years to play 4. Clearly it remains to be seen whether we can have success with this method of roster management.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Kaemen Marley, Ath/WR, Tennessee, in the portal. Received an offer from GT in 2020. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound Marley was listed as a WR, but also worked on defense at safety and linebacker.