Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
man this page needs to try watching football. watch the 9ers, chiefs, rams, even the vikings. all of them utilize their WRs on occasion to exploit that matchup. gibbs was a good pass catcher, mason really wasn’t.

regardless we need to get a little bit more creative on offense and this is a relatively simple wrinkle to add. don’t be dense

lol. I get it, you like getting drunk on sundays and watching the NFL. Doesn't make your idea a good one for our situation.

No, Mason wasn't a good pass catcher out of the backfield. However, if we wanted a good pass catcher out of the backfield why would we ever put in a WR instead of just going with Gibbs? There is literally no advantage to it as Gibbs probably would have also been our best WR had we moved him there.

If your best and most dynamic player is a WR it makes sense to move him around to get the ball more and that could also mean lining him up at RB. Or if you have no depth at RB and need to spell your number 1, it might make sense to move a WR there if he has the skills. If you're super deep at RB and your best and most dynamic playmaker is a RB it doesn't make sense in just about any situation to put a WR there, much less any of the ones we have who have proven very little.

JacketFan137

Banned
lol. I get it, you like getting drunk on sundays and watching the NFL. Doesn't make your idea a good one for our situation.

No, Mason wasn't a good pass catcher out of the backfield. However, if we wanted a good pass catcher out of the backfield why would we ever put in a WR instead of just going with Gibbs? There is literally no advantage to it as Gibbs probably would have also been our best WR had we moved him there.

If your best and most dynamic player is a WR it makes sense to move him around to get the ball more and that could also mean lining him up at RB. Or if you have no depth at RB and need to spell your number 1, it might make sense to move a WR there if he has the skills. If you're super deep at RB and your best and most dynamic playmaker is a RB it doesn't make sense in just about any situation to put a WR there, much less any of the ones we have who have proven very little.
you do realize more than one person is allowed to be in the backfield at the same time right?

with some of the speed we had at WR like mcgowan and mccollum having one lined up in the backfield along with gibbs or mason would be a nice wrinkle on occasion.

i’m just saying this is something good teams do at both the college and nfl level so maybe we should emulate. your argument makes absolutely no sense i’m not sure how you can disagree with something we see work at the highest level of the sport LMFAO

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
you do realize more than one person is allowed to be in the backfield at the same time right?

with some of the speed we had at WR like mcgowan and mccollum having one lined up in the backfield along with gibbs or mason would be a nice wrinkle on occasion.

i’m just saying this is something good teams do at both the college and nfl level so maybe we should emulate. your argument makes absolutely no sense i’m not sure how you can disagree with something we see work at the highest level of the sport LMFAO
With Gibbs back there last year, we didn't need McGowan back there. Mason and Gibbs together were sufficient. This year, I could easily see some of the slot guys sliding over there or Hassan Hall. It's about creating mismatches.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
For the purposes of substitution, the defense can only go on what personnel you have on the field, not how you line them up. Having guys play both from the backfield and split wide gives you one possible opportunity to create a favorable matchup.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs always got extra attention. I thought we needed to have him in a two back set more often. Pnode was very bland in a lot of what he did with those two. I also wondered why we didn't run under center in the red zone with Yates.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

What advantage does either of them lining up alongside Mason give us over just lining up Gibbs instead? And if we're lining up both Gibbs and a WR it makes no sense compared to just having the WR where he normally is.

no sense i’m not sure how you can disagree with something we see work at the highest level of the sport LMFAO

I have no idea why you seem to lack the concept of different situations mean different things make sense. We aren't the 49ers. Their roster is completely different, played at a completely different level. In general shifting WRs into the back field can be useful. It just made no sense for us to do it.

JacketFan137

Banned
Gibbs always got extra attention. I thought we needed to have him in a two back set more often. Pnode was very bland in a lot of what he did with those two. I also wondered why we didn't run under center in the red zone with Yates.
i would imagine going under center would have made us a little too predictable if we only did it in the red zone.

going under center is getting rarer and rarer anyway

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really like a couple of things that 247sports is trying to do.
Taking account of the transfers in your recruiting with an overall ranking (where GT is currently #30 - #42 HS, #4 Transfer) is smart.
Also, I like that they assign a new ranking to a recruit that transfers. It doesn't make alot of sense using the HS ranking after they have been in college for a few years - and I think that works both ways.
You see someone like Gibson who gets a significantly higher transfer ranking after his play in college than he had in HS. On the other side you have young men like Quick and Tchio who take significant hits to their rankings due to not performing at the college level yet.

I think the staff has done a really good job overall in terms of transfer kids this offseason. Losing Gibbs was a huge loss though.

I have lower expectations for the OL than alot of GT fans seem to have. Quick simply put has barely seen the field. Tchio has played some over 2 seasons, but the majority of his snaps are concentrated in 3 games - otherwise it is alot of games where he has 2 snaps, or 4 snaps. Neither was even a rotation player at their previous school imo. Whether they are starter or even rotation level players at GT remains to be seen. The OL transfers who have played alot at GT have been major players at the schools they were at. (Cochran started 32 games at Vandy, Johnson played in 36 games, starting 19 at TN, Southers played in 27 games with 6 starts at Vandy). The closest comparison may be Jack DeFoor, who played limited snaps at Miss St, but it also took him a year before he was a significant contributor on the OL.

I sort of expect Hall to see a fair bit of time. I don't expect him to be the feature back, but I think he will get some carries and is also likely to be the KO returner - which we needed after Gibbs departure. Not being a capable receiver makes him somewhat less valuable than he otherwise would be.

I sort of think Benson could see a fair bit of time. He had one really good year and I expect us to use the TE more under Long then we did Coach P.
I think Gibson is likely to be the backup QB, at least at the start. I sort of feel like the staff is likely to have Sims be the starter unless Gibson is just outperforming him by a huge amount in practice. Having a new OC and QB coaches though may change that calculation more than if staff wasn't changed.

Harvey we will have to see where he fits into the backfield. Alot of players back there, but no one that has stood out yet.

JacketFan137

Banned
Taking account of the transfers in your recruiting with an overall ranking (where GT is currently #30 - #42 HS, #4 Transfer) is smart.
Also, I like that they assign a new ranking to a recruit that transfers. It doesn't make alot of sense using the HS ranking after they have been in college for a few years - and I think that works both ways.
You see someone like Gibson who gets a significantly higher transfer ranking after his play in college than he had in HS. On the other side you have young men like Quick and Tchio who take significant hits to their rankings due to not performing at the college level yet.

I think the staff has done a really good job overall in terms of transfer kids this offseason. Losing Gibbs was a huge loss though.

I have lower expectations for the OL than alot of GT fans seem to have. Quick simply put has barely seen the field. Tchio has played some over 2 seasons, but the majority of his snaps are concentrated in 3 games - otherwise it is alot of games where he has 2 snaps, or 4 snaps. Neither was even a rotation player at their previous school imo. Whether they are starter or even rotation level players at GT remains to be seen. The OL transfers who have played alot at GT have been major players at the schools they were at. (Cochran started 32 games at Vandy, Johnson played in 36 games, starting 19 at TN, Southers played in 27 games with 6 starts at Vandy). The closest comparison may be Jack DeFoor, who played limited snaps at Miss St, but it also took him a year before he was a significant contributor on the OL.

I sort of expect Hall to see a fair bit of time. I don't expect him to be the feature back, but I think he will get some carries and is also likely to be the KO returner - which we needed after Gibbs departure. Not being a capable receiver makes him somewhat less valuable than he otherwise would be.

I sort of think Benson could see a fair bit of time. He had one really good year and I expect us to use the TE more under Long then we did Coach P.
I think Gibson is likely to be the backup QB, at least at the start. I sort of feel like the staff is likely to have Sims be the starter unless Gibson is just outperforming him by a huge amount in practice. Having a new OC and QB coaches though may change that calculation more than if staff wasn't changed.

Harvey we will have to see where he fits into the backfield. Alot of players back there, but no one that has stood out yet.
from what we’ve seen of gibson in stats and in film screams backup game manager. this is obviously an area of need for us cause frankly our offense took a nosedive without sims, so it’s still a good transfer. also in the event sims transfers/declares for the draft we will have a decent backup/bridge qb to pyron

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow

Why is it that it takes 2 to 3 years for HS athletes to develop enough to play OL in college, yet when we get a highly ranked Hs athlete to transfer to Tech after a couple of years at their previous school, they get criticized for “not seeing the field much”.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Where did you find a re-ranking including transfers?