Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
would be nice. with mason and gibbs gone there’s so many touches vacated idk why he wanted to leave.

we aren’t obligated to honor his scholarship so it will be interesting what collins does
"If YOU are looking...WE are looking" Some of these guys need to understand that there are lots of players just waiting for the chance to take their place. It's a rough business.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They're not playing because they're 1st and 2nd-year players. OL takes time to develop the skill necessary to play at this level. Being good on the OL takes a combination of size and skill (knowledge/experience). My understanding is that skill (knowledge/experience) trumps size when having to determine who to play. But I did see Williams and Vaipulu both getting a lot of snaps. Penley and Franlin also got a fair number of snaps.

We took 0 OL and 1 OL transfer in 2019, 6 OL and 2 OL transfers in 2020, 2 OL and 2 OL Transfers in 2021. Rankins, Spiers, and Leftwich left the team. Happens all the time. The 3 transfers from 2019 and 2020 are done, so we have 9 OL brought in by CGC's crew, the rest are from CPJ's teams or are walk-ons. Of those 9, 4 are getting some significant PT even though they're really young.

Sometimes I wonder why you make this crap up.
I think wining three games a year may have something to do with it. But that is just a guess.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How do you know Sims has the respect of the locker room? You earn respect in sports by winning and battling with your guys. I like Sims but that doesn’t mean another player couldn’t get a shot. I think the current GT players just want to win a freaking ball game. Gibbs and the others showed us how much they respect anyone in our program. And our new OC will really care less what players on a 3-9 team think. He’s coaching for his next job so he he’ll do whatever he thinks is best. I freaking hope Sims emerges because we have 2 years invested in him. But if he doesn’t then we’ll move on.

Because of how his teammates support him and react to him on social media, and on the sidelines.

Sims is not the reason we're not winning. That's why I said Gibson better be head and shoulders better than Sims. If he's head and shoulders better than Sims, it doesn't matter because teammates want the best guy to play...regardless of friendships. Winning trumps all.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Sims has 20 interceptions in 18 games and is a 57% passer with 444 attempts.

Nix has 16 interceptions in 34 games and is a 59% passer with 1057 attempts.

I don’t necessarily want Nix to come to Tech, but he would almost assuredly be an immediate upgrade at QB. He just doesn’t really have anymore room to grow whereas Sims does.
Recent auburn grad here, we don’t want nix. Idc what the media says, nobody is crying about his departure

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hell we may not have players for a spring game
Some young men cant quickly add add weight . Ol son was 6'5" 245 tackle out of hs. Took 3 years to get to 285 and then over night 320 - grown *** man.
David curry ate all the time to stay over 225.
Talking w the Dylan s mothers at tailgate - one eats like a normal person and holds weight while the other eats like a horse to hold weight.

We were bragging about tall ol - hmmm.

JacketFan137

Banned
You really think Sims is scared of competition? This is about a team not any individual player. Long will bring in a QB so if Sims is that thin skinned then get ready for him to transfer. For GT to be a better team we need more QB’s. Just like we need more LB’s, more OLinemen, and every position. And you said it yourself “barring an injury”. Are you suggesting we coddle Sims so when he goes down like he did half of this year we are stuck with a QB who has never played in college? What kind of GT fan would want that? I like Sims but I like GT way more. The good news for me is that Long sounds like a hard butt who is bull headed. That’s what we need. Or we could keep playing rec ball and winning 3 games.
idk i think people gotta understand with the portal being so easy you have to be careful who you bring in. competition is important and i have said multiple times in this thread depth was an issue as there was a colossal drop off when sims went down.

you can call players soft and call it coddling but you gotta play the game that’s in front of you and that game includes the transfer portal. again, absolutely none of the names brought up so far are really threats. bo nix, the kid from akron, etc are just ok. harrison bailey probably wants a guaranteed starter role so i doubt we’re an option.

we’re just gonna look very stupid and also look like a ****ty place to play for recruits if we just bring in a guy and start him over a 2 year starter.

there’s a lot more factors than just bringing a guy in to play

kalld12

Banned
I know its early, but am I the only one a little discouraged right now with the amount of activity in the Transfer Portal with interest in GT? From what I've seen we have a few big OL interested and some skill positions, but I've not seen one transfer that we absolutely know were getting at this point. Idk, maybe its just me, hoping it picks up because we need to fill some key positions of need with experienced players if we have any chance of winning 4+ games next year.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Don’t quote me. Didn’t see his name when I scanned quickly. I could have just overlooked it.
Sorry for using the quote function... but his name is very much still on the official roster on the website. Granted, that means nothing for next year.

1639579324260.png

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know its early, but am I the only one a little discouraged right now with the amount of activity in the Transfer Portal with interest in GT? From what I've seen we have a few big OL interested and some skill positions, but I've not seen one transfer that we absolutely know were getting at this point. Idk, maybe its just me, hoping it picks up because we need to fill some key positions of need with experienced players if we have any chance of winning 4+ games next year.
I would think you wait to see who sign and then look to see if you have room.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Something to note

I think we will see a lot of guys enter the portal and then not go anywhere. I hope for their sake their teams don't revoke any scholarships for it. But it seems a lot of guys go in without a plan to get out. Very risky. Lets see how it goes the rest of this offseason.