Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
i don’t see why everyone is so desperate to run sims out and they seem to be assuming literally everyone who comes in is better. sims potential is just way too high to give up on him without a serious transfer coming in and so far we have gotten absolutely no indication one is coming.

a new qb to be the backup would be nice as peery and pyron don’t seem to be game ready right this second.

i think we should maybe try supporting the players that are actually on OUR team guys?
I haven’t seen one post about wanting to run Sims off. Why are so many afraid of competition for college athletes? And yes, Sims has potential. He also has a limited number of years to show that potential. And the bottom line for a RPO offense is that the QB must make the reads and accurate passes. If Sims can start doing that then great, but if someone can do it better then great too. His running ability is not one of the top 3 considerations. It’s a plus but is not a top factor so bringing up his running ability does him no favors. Whoever our QB is must - 1) recognize the defense at the line, 2) make the proper decision (read) to hand off or keep, then 3) make an accurate pass. Long will not tolerate a QB who can’t handle that.

JacketFan137

Banned
I haven’t seen one post about wanting to run Sims off. Why are so many afraid of competition for college athletes? And yes, Sims has potential. He also has a limited number of years to show that potential. And the bottom line for a RPO offense is that the QB must make the reads and accurate passes. If Sims can start doing that then great, but if someone can do it better then great too. His running ability is not one of the top 3 considerations. It’s a plus but is not a top factor so bringing up his running ability does him no favors. Whoever our QB is must - 1) recognize the defense at the line, 2) make the proper decision (read) to hand off or keep, then 3) make an accurate pass. Long will not tolerate a QB who can’t handle that.
People were calling bo nix an upgrade and asking for guys like harrison bailey to come in as if those are upgrades. definition of trying to run off a guy. those guys are terrible.

also i HIGHLY doubt anyone was gonna get hired without a plan to use sims legs as a crucial part of the offense. Sims is the best QB we are gonna have going into the season barring an injury or a transfer out of nowhere and collins knows his job is on the line. hes gonna use sims as a runner as much as possible.

what youve said about the RPO is kinda crazy too. it will be a part of the offense but its not all encompassing and the only kind of play we'll run. this is like the people that acted like we only ran the triple option every play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope so we can use him. ( If I was a running back I would stay with no more than we have on the roster )
Lets go over your rb qualifications as a rb? Based on what i know i would suggest u not stand near the portal😃
U are probablyvto young to know about the first day of freshman football try outs.
I was shamed into going to Rosebowl field w 2 south ga dorm friends. First the coaches get guys limber up w some warm up . Then they got every one to line up and spread out along sides of the field. Whistle blows and you sprint to the other side. Then the whistle blows agin and you race back. Coach then hollers if you are faster than guys aroung you move towards me - slower guys move away.
Well after 4 rinse wzsh repeat i find myself standing with a group of giants. The groups were formed up by the assistant coaches who put them thru serious drills. That was it . See you tomorrow coach said. Well i was sure that i could get into a faster group so i came back. Crap there were a lot fewer guys the second day. Line up , rinse wash repeat. Crap now am further away and with big fast guys.

Yes my s ga guys stayed and the razed me till they needed tutoring in calculus.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
What stats are you using?

You can sort through the different stats and see where every team ranks in each individual stat. Tech was a little better than Auburn at run blocking, and Auburn was a little better than Tech at pass blocking. But since the argument that Sims is better than Nix boils down to Sims being a better runner, perhaps our line was as better fit for our QB. Neither team was very good at either skill though.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Lets go over your rb qualifications as a rb? Based on what i know i would suggest u not stand near the portal😃
U are probablyvto young to know about the first day of freshman football try outs.
I was shamed into going to Rosebowl field w 2 south ga dorm friends. First the coaches get guys limber up w some warm up . Then they got every one to line up and spread out along sides of the field. Whistle blows and you sprint to the other side. Then the whistle blows agin and you race back. Coach then hollers if you are faster than guys aroung you move towards me - slower guys move away.
Well after 4 rinse wzsh repeat i find myself standing with a group of giants. The groups were formed up by the assistant coaches who put them thru serious drills. That was it . See you tomorrow coach said. Well i was sure that i could get into a faster group so i came back. Crap there were a lot fewer guys the second day. Line up , rinse wash repeat. Crap now am further away and with big fast guys.

Yes my s ga guys stayed and the razed me till they needed tutoring in calculus.
I have to run? When would we brake to have a few beers? Run why would I need to run?

slugboy

Staff member

You can sort through the different stats and see where every team ranks in each individual stat. Tech was a little better than Auburn at run blocking, and Auburn was a little better than Tech at pass blocking. But since the argument that Sims is better than Nix boils down to Sims being a better runner, perhaps our line was as better fit for our QB. Neither team was very good at either skill though.
I can't believe that we’re really neck and neck with Alabama in offensive line performance. We’re nearly tied with Alabama in average line yards, which makes me question that as a useful stat. It has us top 25 in power success rate--which is our ability to get hard-nosed yards on 3rd and 2. Compared to what we saw when we lined up on 3rd and 1 this year, either that stat is wrong for us, or we’re forgetting a bunch of 3rd and 2 plays where we got 70 yards.
Those are stats, but they don't look right to me. The individual game stats I've looked at during the season haven't been good in terms of how much the line is contributing to our run yards.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sims is the best QB we are gonna have going into the season barring an injury or a transfer out of nowhere and collins knows his job is on the line. hes gonna use sims as a runner as much as possible.

what youve said about the RPO is kinda crazy too. it will be a part of the offense but its not all encompassing and the only kind of play we'll run. this is like the people that acted like we only ran the triple option every play.
Well, I reckon. If no one transfers in, he'll have the inside track to be the number one QB.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I can't believe that we’re really neck and neck with Alabama in offensive line performance. We’re nearly tied with Alabama in average line yards, which makes me question that as a useful stat. It has us top 25 in power success rate--which is our ability to get hard-nosed yards on 3rd and 2. Compared to what we saw when we lined up on 3rd and 1 this year, either that stat is wrong for us, or we’re forgetting a bunch of 3rd and 2 plays where we got 70 yards.
Those are stats, but they don't look right to me. The individual game stats I've looked at during the season haven't been good in terms of how much the line is contributing to our run yards.
Alabama has the 80th most rushing yards in the country this year, Tech had 58th most. Tech averaged 4.57 YPC to Bama’s 4.06. I went back and looked at the play-by-plays for about half of our games this year, and there are very few instances of 3rd and 4th downs with 2 or fewer yards to go where Tech even attempted to run the ball. That’s probably why the power success rate is so high. In my digging I only found about 3 or 4 instances total in the first 6 games.

Just because stats don’t “look” right doesn’t mean they’re incorrect. It usually means you’ve got a biased opinion and are looking for ways to invalidate the numbers. Unsurprisingly, if you just look at who averaged the most YPC, they are closer to the top in average line yards. Oregon St. for example was 1st in line yards, and 9th in YPC. Kentucky is 4th in both stats. Ohio State is 6th in line yards and 3rd in YPC. Coastal Carolina is 1st in YPC and 17th in line yards. There’s no reason that I can find that would lead to me to think these stats are illegitimate. Some of them may be a bit skewed because of usage rates, but definitely not incorrect.

JacketFan137

Banned
Well, I reckon. If no one transfers in, he'll have the inside track to be the number one QB.
when i said transfer out of nowhere i meant one of the guys that is not being linked to us in any way. the guys currently linked with us just arent gonna win the job realistically

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
when i said transfer out of nowhere i meant one of the guys that is not being linked to us in any way. the guys currently linked with us just arent gonna win the job realistically
I don't know what's so unrealistic about that. At any rate, competition is always good, and these guys have plenty enough going for them to merit a transfer in, IMO.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
youre comparing very unlike things so i dont know what type of point youre trying to make. not only has sims shown some flashes of being good, QB is a position one guy plays. while depth is important its not the same thing as the line, of which there are 5 positions and we are losing two of them

i would also say we should be totally fine with bringing in a better QB, but so far none of these guys are better than sims lol

i think he needs some competition since we haven't had an actual backup QB the whole time, i just think people are too desperate to run sims out
We need depth and competition at QB now just as we need depth and competition on the OL. Wanting to bring someone in to fill that need isn't running off the current players. That was my point. You are claiming you are for competition yet every time anyone mentions bringing in any competition for Sims you get super defensive for some reason. Competition may be what he needs to actually take the next step. You should welcome it.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How do you know Sims has the respect of the locker room?
The same way YOU know that Sims was the anointed QB1 and there was never any competition in the locker room. You don't. It's all made-up guesses by uninformed fans. However, there is anecdotal evidence from some of the things other players have said that he is respected in the locker room, whereas there's literally no evidence that Sims didn't earn his QB1 spot.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The crux is Collins came in and recruited linemen based on size. Every time I bring this up the post gets deleted because I guess they think I’m attacking players. I’m not at all. Good for them for getting P5 offers. But Collins told us he was going to get us bigger players to look like a P5 team getting off the bus. And he went out and got guys who aren’t P5 guys. That’s why they aren’t playing. Of course we have a few exceptions like Williams but all this talk of it taking years of strength and conditioning is just an excuse because we signed a bunch of big dudes who really aren’t that good. It was one of several strategies Collins and Key used. If we can find a few that can play then maybe it worked. But so far we’ve seen the results - the OLine stinks and the young guys are nowhere to be seen. Yet we see freshmen and sophomore OLinemen for every other team contributing. Don’t believe the excuses. Thankfully we pulled off the large kid in this upcoming class. He would never have seen the field.
They're not playing because they're 1st and 2nd-year players. OL takes time to develop the skill necessary to play at this level. Being good on the OL takes a combination of size and skill (knowledge/experience). My understanding is that skill (knowledge/experience) trumps size when having to determine who to play. But I did see Williams and Vaipulu both getting a lot of snaps. Penley and Franlin also got a fair number of snaps.

We took 0 OL and 1 OL transfer in 2019, 6 OL and 2 OL transfers in 2020, 2 OL and 2 OL Transfers in 2021. Rankins, Spiers, and Leftwich left the team. Happens all the time. The 3 transfers from 2019 and 2020 are done, so we have 9 OL brought in by CGC's crew, the rest are from CPJ's teams or are walk-ons. Of those 9, 4 are getting some significant PT even though they're really young.

Sometimes I wonder why you make this crap up.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They're not playing because they're 1st and 2nd-year players. OL takes time to develop the skill necessary to play at this level. Being good on the OL takes a combination of size and skill (knowledge/experience). My understanding is that skill (knowledge/experience) trumps size when having to determine who to play. But I did see Williams and Vaipulu both getting a lot of snaps. Penley and Franlin also got a fair number of snaps.

We took 0 OL and 1 OL transfer in 2019, 6 OL and 2 OL transfers in 2020, 2 OL and 2 OL Transfers in 2021. Rankins, Spiers, and Leftwich left the team. Happens all the time. The 3 transfers from 2019 and 2020 are done, so we have 9 OL brought in by CGC's crew, the rest are from CPJ's teams or are walk-ons. Of those 9, 4 are getting some significant PT even though they're really young.

Sometimes I wonder why you make this crap up.
Leftwich left? Did I miss that?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
People were calling bo nix an upgrade and asking for guys like harrison bailey to come in as if those are upgrades. definition of trying to run off a guy. those guys are terrible.

also i HIGHLY doubt anyone was gonna get hired without a plan to use sims legs as a crucial part of the offense. Sims is the best QB we are gonna have going into the season barring an injury or a transfer out of nowhere and collins knows his job is on the line. hes gonna use sims as a runner as much as possible.

You really think Sims is scared of competition? This is about a team not any individual player. Long will bring in a QB so if Sims is that thin skinned then get ready for him to transfer. For GT to be a better team we need more QB’s. Just like we need more LB’s, more OLinemen, and every position. And you said it yourself “barring an injury”. Are you suggesting we coddle Sims so when he goes down like he did half of this year we are stuck with a QB who has never played in college? What kind of GT fan would want that? I like Sims but I like GT way more. The good news for me is that Long sounds like a hard butt who is bull headed. That’s what we need. Or we could keep playing rec ball and winning 3 games.