Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure we've ever had more than 1 QB in the room at any one time. Can anyone recall when we've had a serious QB battle between 2 fairly qualified QBs? I can't. It would be a real novelty to have to pick.
I think the last time of a serious battle was with Vad and JT.

Byerly was a very solid backup to JT, but there was never really a battle.

I can’t think of many of any programs that have 2 legit qb options unless there is a 2 class separation (see Lawrence freshman year at Clemson).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Nix also had better protection.

I like Sims, I think he is special and it's unfair how much blame gets put on him. That comes with the position however.
Statistically Auburn’s line play was about the same as Tech’s. You just assumed Nix had better protection because they’re Auburn

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll be honest, I don't get the excitement for Gibson - I don't see a P5 level QB there.
He played in 7 games, started like 5 of them. He is accurate and doesn't throw interceptions - but he is also not a running threat and takes alot of sacks. He also played for one of the 5 worst teams in FBS football, that also played a very weak schedule.

I just don't see alot that is likely to translate into playing time at GT, especially if our OL doesn't improve alot as he will be a sitting duck in the backfield.

Smells like one of those scenarios where the coach likes him mainly because he's predictable? You know there's a ceiling on how good he'll be but you also feel comfortable he's not gonna turn the ball over. I have no idea but that seems to be a common scenario/excuse coaches use to play/bring in a guy not perceived as a 'threat' on his own.

Plus, in this case, he could bring a little brother who's apparently a pretty good prospect.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, I don't get the excitement for Gibson - I don't see a P5 level QB there.
He played in 7 games, started like 5 of them. He is accurate and doesn't throw interceptions - but he is also not a running threat and takes alot of sacks. He also played for one of the 5 worst teams in FBS football, that also played a very weak schedule.

I just don't see alot that is likely to translate into playing time at GT, especially if our OL doesn't improve alot as he will be a sitting duck in the backfield.
I would disagree. We seem to want him and Scott Frost wanted him at Nebraska. From his tape he seems to have pretty good pocket presence, a decent arm and is pretty accurate. The fact that his team was terrible and he still put up good numbers to me is a positive. I think he would have a chance to do well here. Also, if we are going to avoid bringing in a transfer QB because our OL is so bad then we should probably look for a new OL coach.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I would disagree. We seem to want him and Scott Frost wanted him at Nebraska. From his tape he seems to have pretty good pocket presence, a decent arm and is pretty accurate. The fact that his team was terrible and he still put up good numbers to me is a positive. I think he would have a chance to do well here. Also, if we are going to avoid bringing in a transfer QB because our OL is so bad then we should probably look for a new OL coach.
I don’t think this upcoming season is a good time to replace a veteran OL coach with a respectable resume/track record. Not saying that’s what you were advocating necessarily but I think this is also Key’s year to provide some evidence that he’s been able to develop some of the younger guys who have now been under his coaching for 2-3 years now so let’s see how things pan out and what product hits the field next Fall. I believe that some of our deficits/rough edges can be polished if you hav a OC who understands and is able to scheme to our teams advantages while improving our weaknesses or at least using the weaknesses enough so that the offense doesn’t become totally predictable or one dimensional. Just my two cents/opinion. I also believe that you have to recruit via portal or play the best player at that position and let the chips fall as they may because immediate results are being required or every coach will be in the job hunt next year. The REALLY tricky balance is to have your fingerprint on a offensive scheme yet not stray so far away from the current system where all the offensive players are forced to learn something entirely different and using different language for plays that they already know yet are called something different by Long. Or else you’ll be spending the entire Spring and summer reinventing the wheel and be behind come the Fall when winning is expected.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
RE: Akron's Gibson

I hope Gibson transferring in doesn't turn into a Tommy Luginbill - Donnie Davis situation. Say what you want about Sims, but he has the respect of the locker room and his teammates. If Gibson becomes the starter, he better be head and shoulders better than Sims.
How do you know Sims has the respect of the locker room? You earn respect in sports by winning and battling with your guys. I like Sims but that doesn’t mean another player couldn’t get a shot. I think the current GT players just want to win a freaking ball game. Gibbs and the others showed us how much they respect anyone in our program. And our new OC will really care less what players on a 3-9 team think. He’s coaching for his next job so he he’ll do whatever he thinks is best. I freaking hope Sims emerges because we have 2 years invested in him. But if he doesn’t then we’ll move on.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think this upcoming season is a good time to replace a veteran OL coach with a respectable resume/track record. Not saying that’s what you were advocating necessarily but I think this is also Key’s year to provide some evidence that he’s been able to develop some of the younger guys who have now been under his coaching for 2-3 years now so let’s see how things pan out and what product hits the field next Fall. I believe that some of our deficits/rough edges can be polished if you hav a OC who understands and is able to scheme to our teams advantages while improving our weaknesses or at least using the weaknesses enough so that the offense doesn’t become totally predictable or one dimensional. Just my two cents/opinion. I also believe that you have to recruit via portal or play the best player at that position and let the chips fall as they may because immediate results are being required or every coach will be in the job hunt next year. The REALLY tricky balance is to have your fingerprint on a offensive scheme yet not stray so far away from the current system where all the offensive players are forced to learn something entirely different and using different language for plays that they already know yet are called something different by Long. Or else you’ll be spending the entire Spring and summer reinventing the wheel and be behind come the Fall when winning is expected.
The crux is Collins came in and recruited linemen based on size. Every time I bring this up the post gets deleted because I guess they think I’m attacking players. I’m not at all. Good for them for getting P5 offers. But Collins told us he was going to get us bigger players to look like a P5 team getting off the bus. And he went out and got guys who aren’t P5 guys. That’s why they aren’t playing. Of course we have a few exceptions like Williams but all this talk of it taking years of strength and conditioning is just an excuse because we signed a bunch of big dudes who really aren’t that good. It was one of several strategies Collins and Key used. If we can find a few that can play then maybe it worked. But so far we’ve seen the results - the OLine stinks and the young guys are nowhere to be seen. Yet we see freshmen and sophomore OLinemen for every other team contributing. Don’t believe the excuses. Thankfully we pulled off the large kid in this upcoming class. He would never have seen the field.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
RE: Akron's Gibson

I hope Gibson transferring in doesn't turn into a Tommy Luginbill - Donnie Davis situation. Say what you want about Sims, but he has the respect of the locker room and his teammates. If Gibson becomes the starter, he better be head and shoulders better than Sims.

Man you said a mouthful here. That could get ugly quickfast.

JacketFan137

Banned
i don’t see why everyone is so desperate to run sims out and they seem to be assuming literally everyone who comes in is better. sims potential is just way too high to give up on him without a serious transfer coming in and so far we have gotten absolutely no indication one is coming.

a new qb to be the backup would be nice as peery and pyron don’t seem to be game ready right this second.

i think we should maybe try supporting the players that are actually on OUR team guys?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

20) WR KONATA MUMPFIELD

• Transferring from: Akron
  • Recruiting: 2020 3-Star (National Rank: 2675, Position Rank: 207)
  • Career Snaps: 700
Mumpfield is low-key a great route-runner. His separation rate against single coverage in 2021 sat at the 96th percentile among all FBS wide receivers. That led Mumpfield to a 78.2 receiving grade for the season.

UPDATES: Mumpfield has visits set up with Louisville, Pitt and Vandy.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
So modest. You could teach @GTpdm a thing or two about life.
1639512299591.gif

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
i think we should maybe try supporting the players that are actually on OUR team guys?
Should we stop recruiting Quick and Tchio as well? Is bringing them in not supportive of the OL we already have? If you want to go with the strategy of not using the portal at all then I guess that's a strategy to have but im not sure its going to be very beneficial long term.

JacketFan137

Banned
Should we stop recruiting Quick and Tchio as well? Is bringing them in not supportive of the OL we already have? If you want to go with the strategy of not using the portal at all then I guess that's a strategy to have but im not sure its going to be very beneficial long term.
youre comparing very unlike things so i dont know what type of point youre trying to make. not only has sims shown some flashes of being good, QB is a position one guy plays. while depth is important its not the same thing as the line, of which there are 5 positions and we are losing two of them

i would also say we should be totally fine with bringing in a better QB, but so far none of these guys are better than sims lol

i think he needs some competition since we haven't had an actual backup QB the whole time, i just think people are too desperate to run sims out