Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if they will go after the ND TE that just entered the portal. Long probably has an idea of his potential. Do we have room?
With the transfer portal now the players’ column, will open “processing” soon be in the coaches’ column?

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Can you elaborate on why the current system isn’t in the players’ best interest?
It makes the players soft as baby poop. They don't start, transfer out. The coach cusses the out for doing dumb stuff, transfer out. Gone are the days of sticking around and working your tail off to beat out the guy ahead of you. It makes you better and the guy above you better.
See JT Daniels as an example. Injured and will have to fight to regain his starting role. Transfer out. Given starting role. Gets injured again. Loses starting job again. Transfers out again. What NFL team wants a quitter at QB?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It makes the players soft as baby poop. They don't start, transfer out. The coach cusses the out for doing dumb stuff, transfer out. Gone are the days of sticking around and working your tail off to beat out the guy ahead of you. It makes you better and the guy above you better.
See JT Daniels as an example. Injured and will have to fight to regain his starting role. Transfer out. Given starting role. Gets injured again. Loses starting job again. Transfers out again. What NFL team wants a quitter at QB?
This is just a poor take from top to bottom IMO, but you’re welcome to have it.

What NFL team wants a “quitter” (read as: someone who transferred) at QB? I dunno. Ask the Bengals, Eagles, Cardinals, Browns, Bears, or Seahawks. That’s nearly 20% of the league 🤷🏼‍♂️

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Too bad those quitters like Dewberry and Choice decided to come to GT by quitting their prior school. Guess they would have been better as bench warmers at their prior schools.

This is a big power shift from coaches to schools. The end result will likely be impactful on college football. We don’t know what the impact will be at this time.

slugboy

Staff member
Can you elaborate on why the current system isn’t in the players’ best interest?
The SI article that Oriental links is one good resource. It’s too simple to say that the portal isn’t in the player’s best interest, but it is part of a system that is tilted in favor of the sports programs.

• Freedom for students to choose their future is a good thing for students and it’s a right that’s been infringed for years
  • The portal makes transferring easier for athletic departments. It’s like an athlete shopping market for them. It simplifies transfers for athletes too, but it looks like the majority of the benefits go to the schools
  • There are players like Burrows and Fields that are going to benefit from the portal a lot
  • There are some players who are going to transfer and come out slightly ahead. If you got sold a “pig in a poke” by your coach, the portal is an escape
  • However, in a given year, a football team will take in 20-25 athletes through a combination of high school recruiting and the portal. Recruiting plus transfer classes are bigger than they used to be, but the 85 player cap is the same.
  • Teams will lose a handful of athletes they want to keep to the portal. Another 10 or so will get pushed into the portal unwillingly to make room for new players.
  • About half of the players pushed into the portal never make it to a new scholarship.
  • So, on balance, players are losing out here—it’s a way for programs to sift through players and weed out ones that they don’t want
However, if we took away the ability to transfer, players would lose out there, too. The athletic programs are in better positions to use the status quo to their benefit or to use changes to their benefit than most of the players are.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is weeks old and I am certain the numbers have changed, but it shows a lot of players are not getting much interest. Or, they are not getting interest from schools that interested them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's almost like the portal is a way for some football players to gracefully bow out of their football playing careers. Football can take a toll on your time and body.
Maybe this happens, but leaving school without a scholarhip is a harsh choice for many athletes. I was an NAIA basketball player without a full ride. When I decided to give up baketball I simply told the coach I was not returning for my junior year. There was no crying or gnashing of teeth. He knew I was struggling to keep my grades up and play ball. That was the end of it. Imagine having to balance that with the possibility that you might not return to school anywhere because your family did not have the money.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
This is just a poor take from top to bottom IMO, but you’re welcome to have it.

What NFL team wants a “quitter” (read as: someone who transferred) at QB? I dunno. Ask the Bengals, Eagles, Cardinals, Browns, Bears, or Seahawks. That’s nearly 20% of the league 🤷🏼‍♂️
Too bad those quitters like Dewberry and Choice decided to come to GT by quitting their prior school. Guess they would have been better as bench warmers at their prior schools.

This is a big power shift from coaches to schools. The end result will likely be impactful on college football. We don’t know what the impact will be at this time.
Transfers have always been a part of the game and thats ok. But, you had to sit a year instead of being able to tranfer willy-nilly and have no penalty. Players are switching teams teams every year. Some basketball players play for 4 teams in 4 years and still think they will be first rounders. My point was not to disparage all transfers, but just the ease that a student athlete can switch schools. Its easier for them to bail than a coach to leave and thats the issue I have. Coaches had buyouts because they have money. Kids had to wait a year because they need to learn a lesson that life ain't easy or fair and sometimes you just got to grit your teeth and fight through.
Signed former college player and coach.

slugboy

Staff member
It's almost like the portal is a way for some football players to gracefully bow out of their football playing careers. Football can take a toll on your time and body.
Any player at any time can give up their scholarship and become a "traditional" student gracefully. If they're injured, there are medical exceptions. If you want to be a regular student at another school, you don't need the transfer portal--just give up your scholarship and transfer to another school. These aren't players gracefully bowing out.

Some of them may be using the transfer portal willingly, and getting surprised that they aren't more in demand, but for the most part these players are discards that aren't getting picked up.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Far too many players are entering the portal and losing their scholarship when they are not able to find another spot.

Is that a symptom of the portal not being in the athlete’s best interest though? Or is the portal just a new factor in the land of attrition and Covid?

There are simply more athletes with college eligibility than at any time before. Instead of what’s usually 5 classes of athletes there are now 6. Of course there are going to be athletes who don’t find another home, because there are simply more of them. A lot of those going into the portal would have been “processed” in the old system anyway. Guys who would’ve transferred down to the FCS level, went out of the game because of injuries, or just simply quit. Think about guys like Trad Beatty. His playing career is almost certainly finished, but he entered the portal and got picked up by his former coach. There are tons of guys in the same boat that won’t get picked up so they affect your total numbers, but they were probably going to be out of the game anyway.

Looking at how many players aren’t getting picked out of the portal is not a significant sign that the portal is somehow swindling players. Especially not when there are literally thousands of extra athletes that have eligibility than normal. Unfortunately that means there’s going to be thousands of athletes without a home that would be somewhere had Covid not come along. The portal just provides numbers that weren’t previously available. I’ll bet that when the Covid eligible players get phased through the system that the portal entries who don’t get picked up will mirror the traditional attrition and “processed” numbers.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Look I really don't know the rules and don't care to look them up.
I hate the portal the way it is now. I would rather see it go back like it was, sit out one year this would slow it down. If they keep it like it is let's blow it up and all scholarships are good for only 1 year and would have to be renewed each year. Sorry if you don't like it or the players don't like it, but college is for an education. I love college football or did before things got out of hand with the portal and NIL. Now it's getting more like pro ball.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Transfers have always been a part of the game and thats ok. But, you had to sit a year instead of being able to tranfer willy-nilly and have no penalty. Players are switching teams teams every year. Some basketball players play for 4 teams in 4 years and still think they will be first rounders. My point was not to disparage all transfers, but just the ease that a student athlete can switch schools. Its easier for them to bail than a coach to leave and thats the issue I have. Coaches had buyouts because they have money. Kids had to wait a year because they need to learn a lesson that life ain't easy or fair and sometimes you just got to grit your teeth and fight through.
That’s neat. But just because somebody is switching schools it doesn’t make them soft. And it’s easier for a player to switch schools than it is for a coach to? Good! It should be. Coaches are hardly bound by their contracts anyway. If they get fired they get their buyout, and if somebody else hires them the new schools pays the buyout. The coaches themselves are never on the hook for their buyout. There’s literally nothing holding a coach to one place. Generalizing all players who transfer as “soft” is a pretty soft take considering the multitude of reasons somebody might wish to transfer.

I played with a guy from Atlanta who was at a school out of state going into his senior year. His mother got cancer and he wanted to come back home to Tech so he could be closer to her. He had to fight the NCAA tooth and nail for his eligibility and right to play his senior year. His fight started in June when his transfer process did, and he didn’t receive word on his eligibility until 1 week before Opening Day the next February. Does that make him soft? Signed a former player.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Look I really don't know the rules and don't care to look them up.
I hate the portal the way it is now. I would rather see it go back like it was, sit out one year this would slow it down. If they keep it like it is let's blow it up and all scholarships are good for only 1 year and would have to be renewed each year. Sorry if you don't like it or the players don't like it, but college is for an education. I love college football or did before things got out of hand with the portal and NIL. Now it's getting more like pro ball.
I’m not opposed to making scholarships 1 year deals that you have to get renewed. Football and basketball are the only sports who have guaranteed 4 year scholarships. Everyone else is fighting every year to keep theirs. I do think there would need to be protections in place for when a new coach takes over he can’t just clean house with all the old guys

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m not opposed to making scholarships 1 year deals that you have to get renewed. Football and basketball are the only sports who have guaranteed 4 year scholarships. Everyone else is fighting every year to keep theirs. I do think there would need to be protections in place for when a new coach takes over he can’t just clean house with all the old guys
Most scholarships are 1 year deals.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s definitely not easier for the athletes to switch schools than the coaches since the athletes still theoretically have to be in good standing. See Brian Kelly, Lincoln Riley, and countless other coaches this hiring cycle.