Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
While there are some players landing at Last Chance U and some better places, about half the players in the portal are basically losing their scholarships. They’re not gracefully stepping aside.
There were ways to transfer to a D-III school before the transfer portal. These players are getting cut loose. Some find a landing spot, but about half don’t
But the majority of those getting cut loose aren’t ending up that way because of the portal. They’re being cut loose and not picked back up because there are more players available than have ever been before. The same number of players not going elsewhere after entering the portal would be getting processed if the portal did not exist. It’s not the portal’s fault that there are literally thousands of available athletes that normally wouldn’t have any eligibility left. There are also thousands of high school kids that would be getting scholarships that aren’t because of the sheer number of players available. Is that because of the portal too? Or is it because all numbers are inflated because of Covid eligibility rules?

The portal may not be a perfect system, but to suggest it’s existence is causing players to be left out to dry is disingenuous. There is a glaringly obvious reason for that, and it’s not the portal. The portal system is certainly better for the athletes than the old system was.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT is a P5, and they are set to renew 85 on July 1 unless Covid exceptions come into play later on this year.
I don't understand what you're saying. They may all be renewable 1-year scholarships, but they cannot be dropped, so they're guaranteed a 4-year scholarship. I don't know what point you're trying to prove. Are you playing a game of semantics?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I don't understand what you're saying. They may all be renewable 1-year scholarships, but they cannot be dropped, so they're guaranteed a 4-year scholarship. I don't know what point you're trying to prove. Are you playing a game of semantics?
There are no four or five year scholarships as you claim. One year renewables, per NCAA.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
There are no four or five year scholarships as you claim. One year renewables, per NCAA.
THE NCAA DOES NOT GOVERN THE P5 SCHOOLS!!!!!! I don't know how to say it any more plainly. The P5 was given autonomy to create its own rules. One of those rules is that schools cannot revoke a scholarship for performance. The student-athlete is guaranteed a 4-year scholarship as long as they stay academically eligible and follow the rules. It's not rocket science. I provided you with articles that explained the rules. Are you trying to prove some point? Whether it's 4 1-year renewable scholarships or 1 4-year scholarship is irrelevant. The students are guaranteed 4 years. The G5 can follow these rules if they want to, but they're not required to.

slugboy

Staff member
But the majority of those getting cut loose aren’t ending up that way because of the portal. They’re being cut loose and not picked back up because there are more players available than have ever been before. The same number of players not going elsewhere after entering the portal would be getting processed if the portal did not exist. It’s not the portal’s fault that there are literally thousands of available athletes that normally wouldn’t have any eligibility left. There are also thousands of high school kids that would be getting scholarships that aren’t because of the sheer number of players available. Is that because of the portal too? Or is it because all numbers are inflated because of Covid eligibility rules?

The portal may not be a perfect system, but to suggest it’s existence is causing players to be left out to dry is disingenuous. There is a glaringly obvious reason for that, and it’s not the portal. The portal system is certainly better for the athletes than the old system was.
The portal started in 2018. Covid basically started in 2020. Some people here think that COVID numbers are leaving players without a landing spot. I think players are being told "it's time for you to hit the portal and find a new home". Yeah, at first, the portal was all goodness for the players. Maybe timing makes you think that COVID is to blame for players losing their spots, but it's easier for me to see this as programs learning to bend the portal to their own use.
Did the portal cause players to get cut loose? Schools had ways to process players before the portal.
Did the portal enable programs to cut players loose more easily and with more deniability? Oh, yes, it did. And I think they're doing it.
Are players going into the portal willingly? Yeah, a bunch are.
Are players being pushed into the portal? I think so--I think a lot are.

Would removing the portal hurt players? Sure. The game is tilted towards the programs and not the players. Keeping the status quo keeps things tilted that way. When there's a reform, programs learn to bend the reform their way too.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
While there are some players landing at Last Chance U and some better places, about half the players in the portal are basically losing their scholarships. They’re not gracefully stepping aside.
There were ways to transfer to a D-III school before the transfer portal. These players are getting cut loose. Some find a landing spot, but about half don’t
I can't understand why marginal players would enter the portal if it means risking the loss of their scholarships.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I can't understand why marginal players would enter the portal if it means risking the loss of their scholarships.
Because these players for the most part don't consider themselves marginal. They may all thank the coaches on the way out the door but in reality they feel they are not being given an opportunity and they are better than the players that are above them.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The portal started in 2018. Covid basically started in 2020. Some people here think that COVID numbers are leaving players without a landing spot. I think players are being told "it's time for you to hit the portal and find a new home". Yeah, at first, the portal was all goodness for the players. Maybe timing makes you think that COVID is to blame for players losing their spots, but it's easier for me to see this as programs learning to bend the portal to their own use.
Did the portal cause players to get cut loose? Schools had ways to process players before the portal.
Did the portal enable programs to cut players loose more easily and with more deniability? Oh, yes, it did. And I think they're doing it.

Would removing the portal hurt players? Sure. The game is tilted towards the programs and not the players. Keeping the status quo keeps things tilted that way. When there's a reform, programs learn to bend the reform their way too.
I’m not sure using the fact that portal was created before Covid hit really helps your argument. In fact I believe it probably hurts it. The number of players entering the portal now is way higher than the number that did in 2018 and 2019. Covid hit in 2020 and portal numbers have skyrocketed since. Why? Because those players who were on a roster in 2020 were given an extra year, thus increasing the overall number of players in the system.

The portal is definitely allowing programs to cut players loose with more deniability. That was my point. The players who were going to get processed anyway are just going into the portal. That, along with extra players from Covid are causing a massive pileup in the portal of “unwanted” players. Your argument seems to be that because there are a lot of players not finding new schools, that the portal is bad for the players. All I’m saying is that there are numerous factors for why players aren’t finding new home, and blaming the portal itself is disingenuous, IMO. Without the portal most of those players would’ve just disappeared from rosters. Now they get tallied up and there are official numbers shown.

I’m willing to bet that in 2025 when the Covid eligible players are phased out that the portal numbers will look very similar to how they did in 2018 and 2019, and attrition levels will return to the norms from that era as well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
They don’t realize or know that they are marginal players. They are human and self evaluation is something most people struggle to do.
Because these players for the most part don't consider themselves marginal. They may all thank the coaches on the way out the door but in reality they feel they are not being given an opportunity and they are better than the players that are above them.
It must be a terrible shock when some of these players end up without a scholarship.

JacketFan137

Banned
It must be a terrible shock when some of these players end up without a scholarship.
i’m sure a lot that don’t me up with a scholarship are being very prideful and expect to make it at an equal university/hear from the guys who recruited you in HS only to get HUMBLED in a big way

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Ever see the movie "One on One" with Robbie Benson? Coaches can make life miserable for players they don't want around, can't they?

slugboy

Staff member
Ever see the movie "One on One" with Robbie Benson? Coaches can make life miserable for players they don't want around, can't they?
How much easier is that with a “free transfer” exit?
Until you find out it only works for half the players.
Leach put a player in a metal shack. In Lubbock. In the summer. “For his health”. We don’t need movies to see a coach turn the screws on a player.
I’m usually optimistic, but I don’t believe the portal numbers will be much better in five years. The degree that they are will be more because players figure out that if they don’t have a landing spot, they’re better off not going in.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How much easier is that with a “free transfer” exit?
Until you find out it only works for half the players.
Leach put a player in a metal shack. In Lubbock. In the summer. “For his health”. We don’t need movies to see a coach turn the screws on a player.
I’m usually optimistic, but I don’t believe the portal numbers will be much better in five years. The degree that they are will be more because players figure out that if they don’t have a landing spot, they’re better off not going in.
The problem they have been told all in high school how great they are in games . when maybe they will only go up against one player all year who could play in college. Like they say it's a crap shoot 1/2 really ain't that good. Start all 4 years in high school and find out in their first practice they can't handle a scout team player

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Transferring has never been a huge problem for players whose family can afford to contribute toward their education. DII and DIII schools are happy to get P5 and G5 players who are willing to step down. The DII schools may be offering half a scholarship and the DIII schools may be offering some financial aid toward the total cost. None of these guys are getting a full ride unless there was excitement among DI coaches when their name first appeared in the portal.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Transferring has never been a huge problem for players whose family can afford to contribute toward their education. DII and DIII schools are happy to get P5 and G5 players who are willing to step down. The DII schools may be offering half a scholarship and the DIII schools may be offering some financial aid toward the total cost. None of these guys are getting a full ride unless there was excitement among DI coaches when their name first appeared in the portal.
Wouldn't it be logical that they would drop to DI- FCS?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That may be an NCAA thing, but it's not applicable to the P5 schools, who have created their own set of rules.

"Besides full cost of attendance, the schools were asked to approve guaranteeing athletes their scholarships for more than the current one year the majority of Division I institutions do. While the measure passed and the Power Five schools will now be required to provide multiyear scholarships, some of the biggest critics of the proposed change were current athletes, who argued that coaches should be allowed to cut poor-performing players." Full Article

Another article...Clemson related article about student benefits

From your article: "Nearly two-thirds of the 56 most powerful Division I public universities now offer multiyear awards, according to a Chronicle review of public records. Yet few of those institutions do so for more than a handful of athletes.:"

Doesn't seem to be a hard and fast requirement.