Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
I am not an expert but judging by the ones we have, I would surmise this is the best portal class we have had so far but I wonder if that includes the ones you lose as well? Losing Sanders and Gibbs is pretty big but in my view more than offset by highly regarded transfers in areas of need for this program. Offensive line and quarterback in particular. Alabama has something like 17 in the portal but they probably don't care. If we lost 17 players, the entire program would descend to Division III status.
sanders had 65 catches in 25 career games. for whatever reason he was pretty much a non factor in his tech career

slugboy

Staff member
Re: Sanders, he was the third most “used” WR on offense. Through graduation and transfers, we've lost key contributors on offense. Later, I have a PPA/EPA table that shows their impact, and unfortunately, our offense wasn't that effective (so their PPA is low).

Comments on an incoming or outgoing player tend to extremes — “he didn’t do that much”, “we’ll just reload”, “he’ll make a huge difference on our line” — but for a lot of the players the truth is in the middle. That’s not the case for Gibbs though — that’s a huge loss.

Some players come in and make a big difference. McGowan came in and was WR 1.

Evaluating the OL transfers is going to be rough. They had/have a lot of potential, but some of our more recent transfers weren’t the main cogs of their offensive lines. We’ll have to see what Key can make of them and the OL in the offseason. The outlook is really cloudy there.

So, Sanders wasn't the focal point of our offense (he wasn't our Jerry Rice), but he was an important contributor and he could be more of a contributor this year. We'll need to find others to more than make up what we lost.

Something that you can glean from these tables is that our offense revolved around the run but our passing game was responsible for a lot of points (boom vs bust).

It's hard to say what we need more of with Long as OC. Hopefully, our incoming transfers are a fit.

This is from https://collegefootballdata.com/team/Georgia Tech

PositionOverall useRushPassStd. DownsPass Downs
Jeff SimsQB36%17%57%35%38%
Jordan YatesQB27%10%45%24%31%
Jahmyr GibbsRB22%34%9%23%19%
Jordan MasonRB12%20%4%14%13%
Dontae SmithRB11%19%2%17%9%
Kyric McGowanWR8%0%16%10%5%
Malachi CarterWR6%0%12%6%6%
Adonicas SandersWR5%0%11%4%5%
Kalani NorrisWR3%0%6%2%4%
Dylan LeonardTE2%0%3%2%2%

He was third in EPA or PPA (it's biased towards players who didn't see the field as much. I'm not sure what plays put Knight up there.
PlayerPositionAllRushPass
Demetrius Knight IIQB2.08202.082
Azende ReyRB1.3401.34
Malachi CarterWR0.94900.949
Adonicas SandersWR0.91900.919
Peje' HarrisWR0.71200.712
Malik RutherfordWR0.68900.689
Kalani NorrisWR0.60700.607
Kyric McGowanWR0.5500.55
Jeff SimsQB0.4040.4330.394
Dylan LeonardTE0.37400.374
Dontae SmithRB0.2680.2440.467
Jahmyr GibbsRB0.1460.0050.732

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Re: Sanders, he was the third most “used” WR on offense. Through graduation and transfers, we've lost key contributors on offense. Later, I have a PPA/EPA table that shows their impact, and unfortunately, our offense wasn't that effective (so their PPA is low).

So, Sanders wasn't the focal point of our offense (he wasn't our Jerry Rice), but he was an important contributor and he could be more of a contributor this year. We'll need to find others to more than make up what we lost.

Something that you can glean from these tables is that our offense revolved around the run but our passing game was responsible for a lot of points (boom vs bust).

It's hard to say what we need more of with Long as OC. Hopefully, our incoming transfers are a fit.

This is from https://collegefootballdata.com/team/Georgia Tech

PositionOverall useRushPassStd. DownsPass Downs
Jeff SimsQB36%17%57%35%38%
Jordan YatesQB27%10%45%24%31%
Jahmyr GibbsRB22%34%9%23%19%
Jordan MasonRB12%20%4%14%13%
Dontae SmithRB11%19%2%17%9%
Kyric McGowanWR8%0%16%10%5%
Malachi CarterWR6%0%12%6%6%
Adonicas SandersWR5%0%11%4%5%
Kalani NorrisWR3%0%6%2%4%
Dylan LeonardTE2%0%3%2%2%

He was third in EPA or PPA (it's biased towards players who didn't see the field as much. I'm not sure what plays put Knight up there.
PlayerPositionAllRushPass
Demetrius Knight IIQB2.08202.082
Azende ReyRB1.3401.34
Malachi CarterWR0.94900.949
Adonicas SandersWR0.91900.919
Peje' HarrisWR0.71200.712
Malik RutherfordWR0.68900.689
Kalani NorrisWR0.60700.607
Kyric McGowanWR0.5500.55
Jeff SimsQB0.4040.4330.394
Dylan LeonardTE0.37400.374
Dontae SmithRB0.2680.2440.467
Jahmyr GibbsRB0.1460.0050.732
It is my opinion that Sims did not have time to find secondary receivers and Sanders was not his primary target very often. I am not sure his stats reflect what he was capable of doing, and playing under Long could have changed his impact. But having an OL that gives the QB a bit more time is really the key.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't think about it until you put those stats up. We never, not once, used the wide receivers in any kind of running play (reverse, end-around, etc.). McGowan had been utilized that way at Northwestern (of course coming from a RB as well) but never got a running play all year. Goes with the comments about having an OL that can hold blocks a little longer to allow longer-to-develop plays I guess.

slugboy

Staff member
Didn't think about it until you put those stats up. We never, not once, used the wide receivers in any kind of running play (reverse, end-around, etc.). McGowan had been utilized that way at Northwestern (of course coming from a RB as well) but never got a running play all year. Goes with the comments about having an OL that can hold blocks a little longer to allow longer-to-develop plays I guess.
I really would have liked to have gotten Gibbs as a run option in the slot, like UCF had done before Malzahn got there. I'm not sure how much of our offensive play calling was "we can't add these other plays until you get the basics down" vs "I see something in the defense if you can just execute" vs "we went 3 and out and I never got to use these plays I had loaded up"

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Sanders is a grad transfer. Grad transfers existed before the transfer rule change. I guess he could take year off and just play football at GT but graduate credits are expensive. Why not use football to get an advanced degree on the cheap?

When I see a kid who's a grad transfer put his name "in the portal", I don't regard it as troubling. Good fo Adonnicus! GT MBA wants work experience so not likely to stay at GT.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m sorry but I have not been able to keep up with the names of players who have committed to GT through the transfer portal. Could someone please point me toward a list of those who have?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry but I have not been able to keep up with the names of players who have committed to GT through the transfer portal. Could someone please point me toward a list of those who have?

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 9.10.45 AM.png

JacketFan137

Banned
yeah motions and end arounds have been a huge aspect of some of the best offenses in college and pros for a while. you see it a ton on the chiefs, rams and a ton on clemson.

made zero sense to not see that for us considering we had some true speed demons in our WR room. you also see guys like cooper kupp and deebo samuel, 2 likely all pros this season, line up in the backfield occasionally. doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to mix some of that in.

patenaude just didn’t seem very creative to me. these plays don’t need to be bread and butter plays that we run all game but something every now and then to keep the defense on their toes a little bit could set up other plays

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
made zero sense to not see that for us considering we had some true speed demons in our WR room. you also see guys like cooper kupp and deebo samuel, 2 likely all pros this season, line up in the backfield occasionally. doesn’t seem like it would be too hard to mix some of that in.

Yeah, I mean, obviously the right move is to run plays where instead of lining up one of our RBs we instead use our WR in the back field. Perfectly logical.

slugboy

Staff member
When we have Gibbs and Mason in the backfield no less
We did not have a lot of success beating Clemson, Miami, or UGA to the edge, even with Gibbs. I don’t think Sanders would have succeeded where Gibbs was getting caught.
Trying to beat Pitt with speed might have had better luck

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am not an expert but judging by the ones we have, I would surmise this is the best portal class we have had so far but I wonder if that includes the ones you lose as well? Losing Sanders and Gibbs is pretty big but in my view more than offset by highly regarded transfers in areas of need for this program. Offensive line and quarterback in particular. Alabama has something like 17 in the portal but they probably don't care. If we lost 17 players, the entire program would descend to Division III status.
Two thoughts:

1) We didn't lose Sanders. He graduated. He's been here 5 years and played 4. If not for the Covid year last year, he wouldn't have any eligibility to transfer with. He's a BA undergraduate, which means an MBA for a Master's degree. Doubtful he'd get into Tech's MBA program. So, he's moving on.

2) If we lost the type of players on our roster like Alabama is losing on their roster, we probably wouldn't be as affected as you're intimating. They're losing guys who aren't getting PT, were injured, or are getting passed by guys coming in after them. This doesn't mean that they're not good players, but Alabama is not losing their 1st or 2nd string players. If we lost 17 players who weren't contributing to the on-field product, I'm not sure that would descend our program at all. It might hurt our depth in the following years but would have a minimal effect on the team itself.

JacketFan137

Banned
Yeah, I mean, obviously the right move is to run plays where instead of lining up one of our RBs we instead use our WR in the back field. Perfectly logical.
yeah it’s very logical to move guys around to different spots to try to find mismatches and make the defense have to adjust. i’m glad you understand!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
yeah it’s very logical to move guys around to different spots to try to find mismatches and make the defense have to adjust. i’m glad you understand!

Oh, I see. you want to find a mismatch by having a speedy WR play RB. Maybe one who has a big burst and homerun ability. Or maybe you want someone who is a passing threat out of the backfield to try and exploit a LB defending. I see now. Yeah, we didn't already have either of those so reasonable suggestion.

JacketFan137

Banned
When we have Gibbs and Mason in the backfield no less
i know this page is extremely casual and i doubt a lot of you guys watch nfl and likely spend your sundays just tocomplain about collins, so i guess i should have clarified.

if you watch a lot of nfl offenses you’ll see that top WRs are being lined up in the backfield and catching passes out of that position. it can create confusion and mismatches. this isn’t saying that we just run the ball with the WRs. that would be dumb lol

JacketFan137

Banned
Oh, I see. you want to find a mismatch by having a speedy WR play RB. Maybe one who has a big burst and homerun ability. Or maybe you want someone who is a passing threat out of the backfield to try and exploit a LB defending. I see now. Yeah, we didn't already have either of those so reasonable suggestion.
man this page needs to try watching football. watch the 9ers, chiefs, rams, even the vikings. all of them utilize their WRs on occasion to exploit that matchup. gibbs was a good pass catcher, mason really wasn’t.

regardless we need to get a little bit more creative on offense and this is a relatively simple wrinkle to add. don’t be dense