Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This doesn't make much sense. Sims has got the QB spot if he can stay healthy. We upgraded QB coaching which will help him develop his skills. The only football related reason to leave I can think of is our offensive line blocking. Lord, I hope that improves next year.
Yikes! If that were to happen would it be time to say our roster is kind of in chaos right now? CGC’s whole enterprise is based on creating position stability over time. This would be going the wrong direction.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
I wouldn't even say it rises to the level of rumor. Haven't seen it anywhere else and I believe that is a fan account; not insiders. Anything is possible, of course, but I don't see any basis for this one yet.
Right. Fan account. Disregard anything they post. There are several accounts out there like this, run by emotional, dramatic kid fans. Literally, I know of one that is run by a 14 year old. Which is fine…but when you threaten to sell/close your account after every loss, and when you float baseless transfer rumors, because you fear that happening…you’re not credible.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Right. Fan account. Disregard anything they post. There are several accounts out there like this, run by emotional, dramatic kid fans. Literally, I know of one that is run by a 14 year old. Which is fine…but when you threaten to sell/close your account after every loss, and when you float baseless transfer rumors, because you fear that happening…you’re not credible.

:unsure:

Hmm, I'm now intrigued by the idea of a 'kg' twitter account. It would definitely be incredible. ;)

And we know my first follow, once I get on the twitter (yes, 'the' twitter) would be the venerable @dtm1997

JacketFan137

Banned
It's not even a rumor, just a statement that "if" Sims leaves, it will be bad. I don't know what this twitter account thought to gain by even tweeting that.
it’s this user’s most engagement by a substantial margin over their last bunch of tweets. he even said in the comments “i’m just saying IF he actually does”

pretty baseless rumor. in all honestly idk if sims has enough good tape to earn him a spot at a substantially better school. the only way he’s transferring is if we bring in another QB that’s actual competition. based on gibson’s stats and film he’s a solid backup but by no means a p5 starter

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don't even have an account and my wife says I am not "credible" about Tech football. IIWII

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I saw a thing on 247 that said we’re currently 2nd in transfer rankings. Am I looking at that right?

Yes and no. We've slipped to third now.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I saw a thing on 247 that said we’re currently 2nd in transfer rankings. Am I looking at that right?
Looks that way.

I think something will change at some point to keep young people from making bad decisions. I understand grad students - I taught two MBA students at a top ranked school (with much worse football than GT) who were good players at Harvard and Stanford as undergrads. Football paid for their two high caliber degrees.

Football gets you into a school you would (in many, not all cases) never see the inside of without sports and you bail to get more playing time? Less than 2% of college players go pro. Crazy.

Just read this in 247:
“Of the 480 Power Five scholarship players 247Sports studied from the 2019-20 cycle, only 26.5% of them stayed as a scholarship player on a P-5 roster. Another 26.3% signed with a G-5 program. Overall, 47.2% of P-5 scholarship athletes went to the FCS, junior college ranks or did not find a landing spot. Among the 826 FBS scholarship players 247Sports examined, only 37.8% stayed on the FBS level.”

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looks that way.

I think something will change at some point to keep young people from making bad decisions. I understand grad students - I taught two MBA students at a top ranked school (with much worse football than GT) who were good players at Harvard and Stanford as undergrads. Football paid for their two high caliber degrees.

Football gets you into a school you would (in many, not all cases) never see the inside of without sports and you bail to get more playing time? Less than 2% of college players go pro. Crazy.

Just read this in 247:
“Of the 480 Power Five scholarship players 247Sports studied from the 2019-20 cycle, only 26.5% of them stayed as a scholarship player on a P-5 roster. Another 26.3% signed with a G-5 program. Overall, 47.2% of P-5 scholarship athletes went to the FCS, junior college ranks or did not find a landing spot. Among the 826 FBS scholarship players 247Sports examined, only 37.8% stayed on the FBS level.”
Significant figures.
Top is 100
But for fun lets add 2 more digits.
87.13 looks very precise.
Now group up a bunch of them by team and make a list of teams.

Print it on internet.

In summary, gt is doing not bad to good on new guys but we lost one great guy some not so good guys.
In summary we got killed on the portal so far.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yes and no. We've slipped to third now.

So this the one I saw. It’s at the bottom of the page. Maybe it just hasn’t updated. USF has FOURTEEN incoming, and Jackson St is ranked 16!
1642037770646.jpeg

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I am not an expert but judging by the ones we have, I would surmise this is the best portal class we have had so far but I wonder if that includes the ones you lose as well? Losing Sanders and Gibbs is pretty big but in my view more than offset by highly regarded transfers in areas of need for this program. Offensive line and quarterback in particular. Alabama has something like 17 in the portal but they probably don't care. If we lost 17 players, the entire program would descend to Division III status.