Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

kalld12

Banned
Juanyeh and Tre also got picked up as free agents, but that would hurt your argument to acknowledge. NFL teams think these three are all good enough to bring on board, but you think it's their fault we sucked. Who's opinion do I trust more, hmm...
Gametape would say otherwise. Ask yourself, after the last 2 years of tape would you pick up Riq, Yeh, and Tre? Most of us here wouldn't, our secondary was atrocious. Many of our guys were picked up due to measurables, not body of work on field. Free agents barely make it on final rosters.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If longs offense has a pulse defense will at least look better on paper not having to deal with back to back three and outs constantly.
Add to that just the slightest bit of competency in the red zone and finishing drives. 3 and outs are rough, but we left so many points in the red zone... 3 and outs are physically taxing on a defense but empty drives are mentally taxing on everyone.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Gametape would say otherwise. Ask yourself, after the last 2 years of tape would you pick up Riq, Yeh, and Tre? Most of us here wouldn't, our secondary was atrocious. Many of our guys were picked up due to measurables, not body of work on field. Free agents barely make it on final rosters.
They were picked up for their more natural positions. What if our defensive coaches had used them in the correct spots on the field. How much better would our backfield have been with the LB corps playing better, blitzing the QB giving him less time. Plus maybe we had someone on the bench who could have been better at safety instead of playing LB's at the Safety position.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it was, but the question that begs to be answered is...Was our secondary atrocious because of bad coaching, or bad players? We had one guy playing out of position, and others who had the tools (or else they wouldn't even be considered for pro ball) but performed poorly. How do we know they wouldn't have performed better with better coaching? The fact that three guys on a horrible secondary have been drafted or have signed NFL contracts indicates bad coaching in the secondary and elsewhere on the defense crippled their performance.

kalld12

Banned
They were picked up for their more natural positions. What if our defensive coaches had used them in the correct spots on the field. How much better would our backfield have been with the LB corps playing better, blitzing the QB giving him less time. Plus maybe we had someone on the bench who could have been better at safety instead of playing LB's at the Safety position.
Very possible, wish those guys the best of luck. I guess we shall see how things shake out, but you bring up a good point. I'll be following closely

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A lot of problems were being out of position and leaving guys wide open. I blame some of that on the defensive coverage calls by the coaches. They didn't have one coach for the secondary. It was cobbled up among at least 3 of them. We didn't really seem to have a true cover corner that could lock down a receiver. There were issues but also those guys were on an island without an effective pass rush. I never faulted their effort.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Juanyeh and Tre also got picked up as free agents, but that would hurt your argument to acknowledge. NFL teams think these three are all good enough to bring on board, but you think it's their fault we sucked. Who's opinion do I trust more, hmm...
Yeah, I never said any of those things, but go off….and, about trusting someone’s opinion, I’d be willing to bet you’re one of those experts who clowns every decision this staff makes. Who’s opinion do I trust more, hmm… (and don’t mistake that for me agreeing with every decision they’ve made either)

Look, it’s great that those guys signed at UDFAs. I sincerely hope they make a roster. All that does is help us. But as far as the NFL “disagreeing” with our perception of our secondary’s talent level…keep in mind hundreds of players were selected in this draft. 20 safeties and 36 corners. One of those safeties played at Yale. Three of those corners are coming from the likes of Ouachita Baptist, Fayetteville State, and Valdosta State. I’d be curious to see what percentage of Power 5 starters (who didn’t get drafted) are getting a shake as an UDFA, as well as a mini camp invite. I’d be willing to bet if you’re a Power 5 starter, the odds of you at least getting invited to a mini camp are high.

Again, don’t mistake this as me trashing and blaming our former players for our shortcomings. These are just facts.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I never said any of those things, but go off….and, about trusting someone’s opinion, I’d be willing to bet you’re one of those experts who clowns every decision this staff makes. Who’s opinion do I trust more, hmm… (and don’t mistake that for me agreeing with every decision they’ve made either)

Look, it’s great that those guys signed at UDFAs. I sincerely hope they make a roster. All that does is help us. But as far as the NFL “disagreeing” with our perception of our secondary’s talent level…keep in mind hundreds of players were selected in this draft. 20 safeties and 36 corners. One of those safeties played at Yale. Three of those corners are coming from the likes of Ouachita Baptist, Fayetteville State, and Valdosta State. I’d be curious to see what percentage of Power 5 starters (who didn’t get drafted) are getting a shake as an UDFA, as well as a mini camp invite. I’d be willing to bet if you’re a Power 5 starter, the odds of you at least getting invited to a mini camp are high.

Again, don’t mistake this as me trashing and blaming our former players for our shortcomings. These are just facts.
People love to throw out that “only 1% make it to the league, blah blah blah” stat around. But that includes every college football player from Jordan Davis, to a 5’8” walk-on at D2 Northwest Louisiana Metro A&M.

If you’re a multi-year starter at the FBS level, especially in the P5, your odds of at least getting a shot as an UDFA to make an NFL roster are significantly higher than 1%. Now the vast majority of them won’t be career NFLers, and might only play in the league for part of one season, but the opportunity will definitely be there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

But our three weren't just invited to a mini camp, they have signed NFL contracts.

And the likes of Yale, Ouachita Baptist, Fayetteville State, and Valdosta State can and do have NFL caliber players occasionally - they just don't have as many of them as the P-5.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But our three weren't just invited to a mini camp, they have signed NFL contracts.

And the likes of Yale, Ouachita Baptist, Fayetteville State, and Valdosta State can and do have NFL caliber players occasionally - they just don't have as many of them as the P-5.
For years Harvard had more players in NFL than Ga Tech.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete

Oh, I know. I said UDFAs.

And I agree with you regarding talent at lower division schools, but let me pose another question for you regarding DII players. What if we received a transfer from Ouachita Baptist? How would some of our fans react? I recall someone saying recently we’re getting Buffalo’s “leftovers” regarding the 1000 yard rusher we have coming in.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
The point of contention being discussed when you originally quoted my post was whether the coaches or the players were the problem, and you also agreed with SOWEGA that the guys we had needed to go. It certainly seems like you were taking that side, regardless of whether those were your specific words or not.

If you want to trust a football staff that led us to nothing but multiple consecutive 3 win seasons, record setting losses, and a defense at the bottom of FBS, be my guest. Just don't expect me to trust them (or you).

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Oh, I know. I said UDFAs.

And I agree with you regarding talent at lower division schools, but let me pose another question for you regarding DII players. What if we received a transfer from Ouachita Baptist? How would some of our fans react? I recall someone saying recently we’re getting Buffalo’s “leftovers” regarding the 1000 yard rusher we have coming in.
The RB we got from Buffalo was one of their best players wasn't he? Not sure who would think that is leftovers.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
The RB we got from Buffalo was one of their best players wasn't he? Not sure who would think that is leftovers.

Someone did make the leftover comment but seemed like a lazy take. Sounded like Oklahoma state, Oklahoma and others were interested besides us.