Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I wonder how many of those quit school, which is the real shame.

If it's my kid and he/she is at a school like GT (or Duke/Stanford/UVA/Michigan/etc), I'd ask "Are getting any playing time?" If they're a SO or JR, and they've barely played, chances are really high they won't get picked up in the portal. Stay at the school, get a degree, and transfer for your grad year. At least they will have their undergrad paid for.

On the other hand, some kids are getting "processed", so it may not be their choice.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If it's my kid and he/she is at a school like GT (or Duke/Stanford/UVA/Michigan/etc), I'd ask "Are getting any playing time?" If they're a SO or JR, and they've barely played, chances are really high they won't get picked up in the portal. Stay at the school, get a degree, and transfer for your grad year. At least they will have their undergrad paid for.

On the other hand, some kids are getting "processed", so it may not be their choice.
That depends on whether "processed" means it was merely suggested they go elsewhere in order to get playing time, or they were told they would be unwillingly separated from their scholarship if they didn't.
I know a lot of the former is taking place, but I wonder how much of the latter?
"Processed" is a vague euphemism. What exactly does it mean?

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
An even worse shame is that many or most weren't interested in school in the first place.
Unfortunately, I believe this is a harsh reality for us. Some SAs get it, most don’t. They don’t know the difference between an education from Tech, and one from Starkville, nor do they care. So, everytime I hear a coach talking about how recruiting at Tech should be easier because Tech has more to offer…dude nobody cares. Every 17-18 year old kid coming out of HS who has that competitive fire in them believes whole heartedly they’ll be in the league in 3-4 years. The won’t need an elite education. They’re looking for $$$, girls, cars, winning results and an electric atmosphere. None of which Tech can produce at the moment. Hopefully that changes this season.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Right now you can't get processed. You can get pushed off the team, but you'll still have your school paid for if you want to stay. The thing is, all of these kids were stars in HS. They want to play football. Practices suck. If I weren't able to play games, I'm not sure the efforts in training and practice would be worth staying on a team. All the hard work and none of the fun.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That depends on whether "processed" means it was merely suggested they go elsewhere in order to get playing time, or they were told they would be unwillingly separated from their scholarship if they didn't.
I know a lot of the former is taking place, but I wonder how much of the latter?
"Processed" is a vague euphemism. What exactly does it mean?

It means all of the above...if a staff doesn't want a kid around, they will find a way to get them to leave. I'm comfortable saying a LOT of SAs in the portal are not there voluntarily.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So few of these young men will ever get a chance to play professionally. Around 1%. The system needs to educate them as to what is reality. Entering the portal thinking it will enhance your shot at the NFL is pure lunacy. Maybe 1 in 1,000 will see that actually happen.

Might as well come up with a way to pay college football players that does not advantage any one institution over another and do away with all this NIL and Portal bull crap..

Go Jackets!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
So few of these young men will ever get a chance to play professionally. Around 1%. The system needs to educate them as to what is reality. Entering the portal thinking it will enhance your shot at the NFL is pure lunacy. Maybe 1 in 1,000 will see that actually happen.

Might as well come up with a way to pay college football players that does not advantage any one institution over another and do away with all this NIL and Portal bull crap..

Go Jackets!
Where is the money coming from? Seems to me that is the reason for the NIL or something like it. Everyone incl yours truly seems to be really struggling with the idea that CFB is basically gone bye bye, and it is going to be some form of minor league professional game now. In my case just watch and see if I have any interest in whatever it turns out to be, it ain't the end of the world, life is much more than CFB. I quit watching professional FB years ago and don't miss it frankly. I'm one that believes higher education is headed for enormous change over the next 10-20 years when everything shakes out and that will also have an impact on CFB, what sort of impact I have no idea. I'm sure there are people in academia and the sports world wrestling with it all right now because in both worlds they both know that what we have now and in the past will not work going fwd and that substantial change will have to be made. It would not surprise me to see the USA have less than half of the colleges we have today 20 years from now. All IMO of course and I've been wrong before. Some people may have to get real jobs!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, I believe this is a harsh reality for us. Some SAs get it, most don’t. They don’t know the difference between an education from Tech, and one from Starkville, nor do they care. So, everytime I hear a coach talking about how recruiting at Tech should be easier because Tech has more to offer…dude nobody cares. Every 17-18 year old kid coming out of HS who has that competitive fire in them believes whole heartedly they’ll be in the league in 3-4 years. The won’t need an elite education. They’re looking for $$$, girls, cars, winning results and an electric atmosphere. None of which Tech can produce at the moment. Hopefully that changes this season.
Employers hire non-GT grads all the time. You can go to Starkville and be an honors grad or go to GT and barely pass. The GT grad would probably do much better, but unless the hiring manager really knows better he's probably picking the 3.8 Starkville grad and spending the next couple of years hoping the kid starts earning his keep. He'll never know what he passed on unless one day he finally hires a GT grad, then he'll probably keep going to the well after that.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Employers hire non-GT grads all the time. You can go to Starkville and be an honors grad or go to GT and barely pass. The GT grad would probably do much better, but unless the hiring manager really knows better he's probably picking the 3.8 Starkville grad and spending the next couple of years hoping the kid starts earning his keep. He'll never know what he passed on unless one day he finally hires a GT grad, then he'll probably keep going to the well after that.
I was also shocked by how very few people outside of Georgia, the academic community, and the engineering world, are aware of Tech’s academic prestige.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
It means all of the above...if a staff doesn't want a kid around, they will find a way to get them to leave. I'm comfortable saying a LOT of SAs in the portal are not there voluntarily.
The star players will be sought. They are few and far between (Gibbs)...coaching staffs will figure it out soon, the average players will be commoditized, used or discarded...ie year to year scholarships are coming...be careful what you ask for you may get it...then where are the majority at? Out in the cold

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was also shocked by how very few people outside of Georgia, the academic community, and the engineering world, are aware of Tech’s academic prestige.
I found that my ME degree opened lots of doors in Texas where gt has lots of graduates. Gt grads do stuff after in the door.

The gt Football team has almost 0 engineers.

The branding that Collins is teaching the players is a great thing.

My engineers did not know how to toot their department s horn.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just reflecting on this a bit more, I think it would make sense for colleges and universities to completely abandoned athletics. I think the concept of collegiate sports has run its course and it is time to transition to a model of pay for play in all realms. Some of the fringe sports like tennis, swimming, etc. could become club sports and seek funding from outside concerns. The major sports, football, basketball, and baseball could transition into more or less the existing minor league systems for the Professional versions of these sports.

I know many would say the academic institutions would never abandon the riches that athletics brings to the table but there is a lot of expense associated with it as well and after all their mission is education and not athletics. This would resolve the conflict of the coaches making millions and the players being robbed. The youngsters could organize their unions and go on strike when their feelings get hurt. They would be free to compete in the marketplace and leverage their skills and talents to maximize their incomes. This would probably prepare them more fully for life than going to the University of Georgia. :):)

This would free up my remaining Saturdays and probably lead to a happier life for me personally.

Go Jackets!

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Where is the money coming from? Seems to me that is the reason for the NIL or something like it. Everyone incl yours truly seems to be really struggling with the idea that CFB is basically gone bye bye, and it is going to be some form of minor league professional game now. In my case just watch and see if I have any interest in whatever it turns out to be, it ain't the end of the world, life is much more than CFB. I quit watching professional FB years ago and don't miss it frankly. I'm one that believes higher education is headed for enormous change over the next 10-20 years when everything shakes out and that will also have an impact on CFB, what sort of impact I have no idea. I'm sure there are people in academia and the sports world wrestling with it all right now because in both worlds they both know that what we have now and in the past will not work going fwd and that substantial change will have to be made. It would not surprise me to see the USA have less than half of the colleges we have today 20 years from now. All IMO of course and I've been wrong before. Some people may have to get real jobs!
Agreed. IMO, the NFL, NBA , MLB and CFB ( the big schools, anyway) are all in the same boat. They are awash in money. Fans are literally paying hundreds of dollars per ticket to watch pro sports, and alumni /fans are donating millions to the big school's Athletic departments. What have been the results ? Players making obscene amounts of money to play a "game". Many of the superstars in the NBA regularly sit out to "rest" ( studies have shown about 20 games a year on average). Do fans get a discount on those games ? Freshmen in CFB having NIL contracts making them millionaires at 18-19 years old. The "inmates" are running the asylum.
When you have players making more money than the coaches, dictating when they will play, and with whom, you have the beginning of the end of sports. It is sad, as an old guy, to see where we have gone in the last 10 years.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Just reflecting on this a bit more, I think it would make sense for colleges and universities to completely abandoned athletics. I think the concept of collegiate sports has run its course and it is time to transition to a model of pay for play in all realms. Some of the fringe sports like tennis, swimming, etc. could become club sports and seek funding from outside concerns. The major sports, football, basketball, and baseball could transition into more or less the existing minor league systems for the Professional versions of these sports.

I know many would say the academic institutions would never abandon the riches that athletics brings to the table but there is a lot of expense associated with it as well and after all their mission is education and not athletics. This would resolve the conflict of the coaches making millions and the players being robbed. The youngsters could organize their unions and go on strike when their feelings get hurt. They would be free to compete in the marketplace and leverage their skills and talents to maximize their incomes. This would probably prepare them more fully for life than going to the University of Georgia. :):)

This would free up my remaining Saturdays and probably lead to a happier life for me personally.

Go Jackets!
Many have postulated the coming realignment of football that may result in a “super-conference” of the big, monied programs. If that occurs, the super-conference will be a semi-pro league, with NIL and big TV contracts. Then, there will be the rest of the colleges and universities. Some of “the rest” may abandon college athletics, but I think most will revert to a more traditional approach to college athletics, especially football, with the exception that those schools will deem the student athletes as “employees”, receiving income for services and college tuition, as a benefit of their employment. The top athletes will fight for the big NIL $$$ in the super-conference and those kids wanting to get an education and still play football can attend “the rest”.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Iirc most if not all expenses for college athletics are paid for by the athletics dept, I may be wrong but I don’t think they are really coming out of any school’s actual operating budget, so the incentive to go this route is basically zero. Wishful thinking but we aren’t getting out of this that easy.

I wonder how long it will be until they decide to start paying high-school athletes NIL as well? It’s already happening (forever) for top players anyway...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Many have postulated the coming realignment of football that may result in a “super-conference” of the big, monied programs. If that occurs, the super-conference will be a semi-pro league, with NIL and big TV contracts. Then, there will be the rest of the colleges and universities. Some of “the rest” may abandon college athletics, but I think most will revert to a more traditional approach to college athletics, especially football, with the exception that those schools will deem the student athletes as “employees”, receiving income for services and college tuition, as a benefit of their employment. The top athletes will fight for the big NIL $$$ in the super-conference and those kids wanting to get an education and still play football can attend “the rest”.
There will still be NIL at any level. The state laws are in place. It doesn't matter what level you're playing, NIL is there. There will be those that want to be and will play players to be the best in their weight class.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I kind of like this idea.