Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

JacketFan137

Banned
Yes, it was, but the question that begs to be answered is...Was our secondary atrocious because of bad coaching, or bad players? We had one guy playing out of position, and others who had the tools (or else they wouldn't even be considered for pro ball) but performed poorly. How do we know they wouldn't have performed better with better coaching? The fact that three guys on a horrible secondary have been drafted or have signed NFL contracts indicates bad coaching in the secondary and elsewhere on the defense crippled their performance.
Yeah, I never said any of those things, but go off….and, about trusting someone’s opinion, I’d be willing to bet you’re one of those experts who clowns every decision this staff makes. Who’s opinion do I trust more, hmm… (and don’t mistake that for me agreeing with every decision they’ve made either)

Look, it’s great that those guys signed at UDFAs. I sincerely hope they make a roster. All that does is help us. But as far as the NFL “disagreeing” with our perception of our secondary’s talent level…keep in mind hundreds of players were selected in this draft. 20 safeties and 36 corners. One of those safeties played at Yale. Three of those corners are coming from the likes of Ouachita Baptist, Fayetteville State, and Valdosta State. I’d be curious to see what percentage of Power 5 starters (who didn’t get drafted) are getting a shake as an UDFA, as well as a mini camp invite. I’d be willing to bet if you’re a Power 5 starter, the odds of you at least getting invited to a mini camp are high.

Again, don’t mistake this as me trashing and blaming our former players for our shortcomings. These are just facts.
yeah it’s yet another massive stretch to find a way to dump on the staff. getting tired lol

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Morgantown is a ****hole. I drove through West Virginia/Morgantown more times than I would care to admit on the way to Pittsburgh. Just imagine the hills have eyes then add in a town run by 20-year-olds. Nightmare.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I think several of our players that got picked up were good athletes. I’d definitely sign riq even if it meant he was a special teams player. I don’t think riq and Thomas’s skill sets were best utilized as a tandem at safety. I don’t know if it was coaching, communication, the players (I’m assuming it was all of those combined) that lead to such poor results. I’m hoping some fresh blood at positions and within the coaching staff produces a better product. Swilling never seemed to look as good last year as his redshirt sophomore year.

Kmag

Jolly Good Fellow
I think several of our players that got picked up were good athletes. I’d definitely sign riq even if it meant he was a special teams player. I don’t think riq and Thomas’s skill sets were best utilized as a tandem at safety. I don’t know if it was coaching, communication, the players (I’m assuming it was all of those combined) that lead to such poor results. I’m hoping some fresh blood at positions and within the coaching staff produces a better product. Swilling never seemed to look as good last year as his redshirt sophomore year.
Could be all of these, but it could also be that every opposing qb had 10 seconds to pass the ball too. We have to find a way to create pressure.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Freshman year he had me very excited. Every season after that left me highly disappointed. His last two years I was ready to see someone else at his position.

JacketFan137

Banned
It's a "massive stretch" to think bad coaching resulted in a horrible secondary that saw three of its players signed by NFL teams while their coaches were fired?
What planet would that be on? (lol)
no it’s a massive stretch for you to try to make this seem like it’s something it’s not. this isn’t some grand indictment on the staff or anything. reality is most of these guys will end up cut or bounce around practice squads if that. our guys have decent enough measurables to get some looks. this isn’t like our coaches were holding back nfl talent. as bad as you want that to be the case

JacketFan137

Banned
Could be all of these, but it could also be that every opposing qb had 10 seconds to pass the ball too. We have to find a way to create pressure.
we generated no pressure and thankfully we have a new batch of d linemen coming in cause that last group was meh at best

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Juanyeh and Tre also got picked up as free agents, but that would hurt your argument to acknowledge. NFL teams think these three are all good enough to bring on board, but you think it's their fault we sucked. Who's opinion do I trust more, hmm...
If you're doing your own thing instead of what the coaches are game planning, you're not going to be successful on the field, regardless of how good you are. This was the message coming out of last season's secondary. I don't know if that's true, but if it was, it was time for some new blood back there.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ve always had a handful of guys who could play anywhere, but up and down the roster a lot of our starters and big time contributors would be battling for field time at the factories. Obviously being highly recruited he’s got physical tools. Let’s hope he was just beaten out by better guys and not that attitude / work ethic had anything to do with it. That goes for all of these transfers. If they’re really ready to work, not just posting “LETS WORK!” in their social media accounts, they’ll be an asset.
Do you have inside info that there were the types of issues you reference? If not, you should delete. No cause in slandering a kid that's not even here yet.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Do you have inside info that there were the types of issues you reference? If not, you should delete. No cause in slandering a kid that's not even here yet.
Am I missing sarcasm here? Nothing said was even close to disparaging, nor did I suggest knowledge of any “issues.” Really have no idea what you’re driving at.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Gametape would say otherwise. Ask yourself, after the last 2 years of tape would you pick up Riq, Yeh, and Tre? Most of us here wouldn't, our secondary was atrocious. Many of our guys were picked up due to measurables, not body of work on field. Free agents barely make it on final rosters.
Pro scouts are gonna do what pro scouts are gonna do.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Matt Landers, WR, from Toledo, originally a dwag commit. 6'5", 200. Already a Jr, so he'd be a one and done, but he's familiar with our backup QB, good size. Might make a solid roster fill. He also gets a free College t-shirt, as he drew original offers in 2016. So maybe he can also be a player/coach.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think any of our guys were projected to play what they play here. Carpenter is a LB, Thomas was also being looked at as an OLB, and i think Tre is beign looked at as a SS.
Lack of speed in our secondary was glaring. IDK if that was caused by scheme or what, but guys were constantly getting burned. Collins has stated that he prefers "length" for our DB's, which I have understood as size, but I hope that doesn't come at the expense of speed. In the end, though, it all comes down to pressure on the quaterback which has been our achilles heel for years and years. I hope the transfer additions over the past several years help both the d-line and dbs.

No one can deny Carpenter's and Thomas' size. That is the primary reason they got looks in the NFL. I am happy the DB room has one coach that is a tech man. That said, Mich. State's pass d left a lot to be desired last year.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Lack of speed in our secondary was glaring. IDK if that was caused by scheme or what, but guys were constantly getting burned. Collins has stated that he prefers "length" for our DB's, which I have understood as size, but I hope that doesn't come at the expense of speed. In the end, though, it all comes down to pressure on the quaterback which has been our achilles heel for years and years. I hope the transfer additions over the past several years help both the d-line and dbs.

No one can deny Carpenter's and Thomas' size. That is the primary reason they got looks in the NFL. I am happy the DB room has one coach that is a tech man. That said, Mich. State's pass d left a lot to be desired last year.

I actually thought both of them outgrew secondary positions, I feel we maybe did ourselves a disservice not having carpenter at backer atleast. and Yuanyeh just at nickle. Not sure who we'd have put back there, maybe have shifted tre back there, as bump and run got him burned a lot. We'll see how it shapes up with guys with a bit more speed but also length.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Length in this context refers to height and reach. Zamari Walton has it.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I actually thought both of them outgrew secondary positions, I feel we maybe did ourselves a disservice not having carpenter at backer atleast. and Yuanyeh just at nickle. Not sure who we'd have put back there, maybe have shifted tre back there, as bump and run got him burned a lot. We'll see how it shapes up with guys with a bit more speed but also length.
I agree. They are GREAT effort guys, that give you everything they have on every play. But they got too heavy, too strong and lost flexibility and maneuverability necessary
to play safety. Of course, in my uneducated opinion. Wish them every success.