Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Actions speak louder than words. You know who else can say all the “right things” and yet prove otherwise? Our current head coach.

Perhaps some more effort at practice on the juice crew would lead to better responses. AJ, you need to learn how to DANCE!!! But, we here on The Swarm know that you are one of ours and that we all love you and so I'm not going to address any other concerns of anyone else. The hurt that the men in that locker room are feeling right now is all that I am concerned about. :rolleyes:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
the problem is that with NIL, Gibbs is literally leaving money on the table not transferring. If he transfers to big ten school with a large fan base, he is going to get paid.

Dangit, where is Dr. Petit when we need him??? Look out Harvard and Yale, we're coming for you!!!

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
Lack of fans in the seats might cost us another player or two. The players have noticed that we aren't showing up and it's starting to get to them.

My source for this is the father of a player who graduated three years ago and remains close with several members currently on the team. I went to HS with the father. The former players words were, to paraphrase, 'the uga game opened the eyes to a lot of our student athletes about how little the fans actually care about them.' You heard similar, but in a much less accusatory tone, from the post game presser from Tre Swilling.

Not directed at you, A_J. Just my thoughts and venting.

Admittedly only two of thousands but I was there screaming my heart and voice out at every home game and the Benz this year with at least one other family member in tow (actually had the pleasure of meeting one of the Augusta Jacket fonts at a tailgate before one game listening to him check Supersize and some of his opinions). Drove over from SC and spent money on hotels and of course the Varsity every home weekend. Created lots of memories with my boy as he came with me to every game except one (my daughter came with me to the KSU game) and is ready to do it again next year. I was unable to make it to the last game due to a family Thanksgiving gathering here in the Charleston area.

We made as much noise as we could from our seats in the upper north. We gave it everything we had on every "money down" as well as other downs. Cheered every first down on O and sang and clapped along with the band for every score. And it got really hard as the season wore on after watching most "money downs" end with a first down conversion regardless of the yardage needed. I guess I could say "the losses were too much for [me]" as well. Just couldn't prioritize the trip that weekend.

So I guess my bottom line is that I get it. Losing sucks for all of us. Just stings a bit to get lumped into "fans don't care" by players because I missed one game which unfortunately fell on senior day. But I guess they can't really say "not enough fans care." I suspect some players would feel the same if some rando sports reporter put a mic in my face and I said something like "our players have had a really poor reaction to everything that's happened since Saturday." I think that's an accurate statement for some of them but others might get offended to be lumped into a statement like that.

I'm not a fair weather fan. I'm a Jacket fan. And by definition those two can't co-exist. But GT unfortunately doesn't have as many of those as most schools. So how do we fill up the stadium? Win more games? Remove seats? Because I'm pretty certain after this season that I have no control over either of those factors. But I'll continue to do what I can. And support the players that give their all every weekend as well.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Lack of fans in the seats might cost us another player or two. The players have noticed that we aren't showing up and it's starting to get to them.

My source for this is the father of a player who graduated three years ago and remains close with several members currently on the team. I went to HS with the father. The former players words were, to paraphrase, 'the uga game opened the eyes to a lot of our student athletes about how little the fans actually care about them.' You heard similar, but in a much less accusatory tone, from the post game presser from Tre Swilling.
I’ve been saying this on here over and over but it’s like talking the wall with some of the posters on here. We the fans are going to be the death of this program if we don’t start supporting this team better.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve been saying this on here over and over but it’s like talking the wall with some of the posters on here. We the fans are going to be the death of this program if we don’t start supporting this team better.
To be fair, the current coaching staff is the death of the program. They are the ones that have made us a laughing stock. But to your point (I think), the only way for us as fans to improve that is either (1) write a multimillion dollar check to GTAA; or (2) to show up at the games regardless and cheer the team on regardless.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Perhaps some more effort at practice on the juice crew would lead to better responses. AJ, you need to learn how to DANCE!!! But, we here on The Swarm know that you are one of ours and that we all love you and so I'm not going to address any other concerns of anyone else. The hurt that the men in that locker room are feeling right now is all that I am concerned about. :rolleyes:

You are a prime example of the kind of fans our athletes are disappointed in. Congrats.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Still misses the point. The athletes don't care what you think about the coach. Playing in front of 40k uga fans for a home game does.
I have followed Tech for many decades. Having a lot of uga fans in the Bobby Dodd/Grant Field stands has been going on for as long as I can remember. The only thing that tamps that down some years is if Tech is having a great season and Georgia is having a down year. Unfortunately this year Tech had an historically bad year and Georgia is having their best year in over 40 years. This was the recipe for the sea of red we saw last Saturday.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have followed Tech for many decades. Having a lot of uga fans in the Bobby Dodd/Grant Field stands has been going on for as long as I can remember. The only thing that tamps that down some years is if Tech is having a great season and Georgia is having a down year. Unfortunately this year Tech had an historically bad year and Georgia is having their best year in over 40 years. This was the recipe for the sea of red we saw last Saturday.

Yeah. I've never in all my days seen uga take up 80+ % of the stadium, and I've been a fan for a long time as well.

slugboy

Staff member
too bad it doesn't work that way
That's the point. You may stay home because you lost faith in the coach, but he's a grown man who probably has a thicker skin. It's the players who feel it the most. Even when they intellectually know that it's not them, they still feel it.

Still misses the point. The athletes don't care what you think about the coach. Playing in front of 40k uga fans for a home game does.

That's gonna sting for a long time.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
You are a prime example of the kind of fans our athletes are disappointed in. Congrats.

Thanks! I've been watching Tech for 50 years, am a second generation graduate and have had football and basketball season tickets for over 30 years. I didn't put us in this position. Stansbury did. I was there on Saturday, in my seats from pre game to post game. One of the last ones to leave the stadium. If I'm the one the athletes are disappointed in, then there are much larger issues. I'm keeping my tickets next year because I've been going to game for nearly 50 years and enjoy taking my kids. I have not once said I won't buy tickets. I will.

I also have season tickets at Clemson since my wife went there. Let me tell you, wining and competing for championships solves a lot of problems. They were in a similar place to us when they fired Tommy Bowden. The fans hated him and they lucked out on a passionate coach who was clever enough to hire really good assistants. Todd swung and missed.

So if I'm the one the players are disappointed in, then they need to look in the mirror. Again, I WAS THERE ON SATURDAY. Was there in '78 in Athens when they hurt Eddie Lee. Was there from '80-'82 watching Senator Walker run up and down the field on us and was there in '94 when Luginbill and Lewis ripped apart our program. Was in Orlando in '90 and San Antonio in '04. So if I'm the problem, we've got much bigger problems. Perhaps you should not be calling out people who are frustrated with the car crash of the last three seasons.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Thanks! I've been watching Tech for 50 years, am a second generation graduate and have had football and basketball season tickets for over 30 years. I didn't put us in this position. Stansbury did. I was there on Saturday, in my seats from pre game to post game. One of the last ones to leave the stadium. If I'm the one the athletes are disappointed in, then there are much larger issues. I'm keeping my tickets next year because I've been going to game for nearly 50 years and enjoy taking my kids. I have not once said I won't buy tickets. I will.

I also have season tickets at Clemson since my wife went there. Let me tell you, wining and competing for championships solves a lot of problems. They were in a similar place to us when they fired Tommy Bowden. The fans hated him and they lucked out on a passionate coach who was clever enough to hire really good assistants. Todd swung and missed.

So if I'm the one the players are disappointed in, then they need to look in the mirror. Again, I WAS THERE ON SATURDAY. Was there in '78 in Athens when they hurt Eddie Lee. Was there from '80-'82 watching Senator Walker run up and down the field on us and was there in '94 when Luginbill and Lewis ripped apart our program. Was in Orlando in '90 and San Antonio in '04. So if I'm the problem, we've got much bigger problems. Perhaps you should not be calling out people who are frustrated with the car crash of the last three seasons.

Defending the travesty that was GT attendance on Saturday does you no credit then. There is no excuse for what we saw, and the athletes paid the price, not the coach.