Transfer Portal: Who's Coming and Going (2022 Roster)

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think it’s done. This was just big fish one to drop.
I agree, unfortunately. I think it will be clear shortly that trying to keep Collins is ****ing stupid. He has lost the locker room and clearly has just figured out how to fool high school seniors into following his lead.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think it’s done. This was just big fish one to drop.
Honestly Sims and maybe one or two other guys are all that would really matter.

Losing Ivey, Williams, or Blackburn would hurt too. Maybe Tatum. Can’t see many guys improving their situation.

Thomas leaving will only make the secondary better. Sadly I think his playing time was kept the way it was to try and get his brother to come here.

It also looks like we’ve got 2 former 4 star OL coming in which is where we need the most help.

I’m not happy with Collins and would love for changes to be made, but losing Gibbs (and potentially Sims) are the only ones that really hurt.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Honestly Sims and maybe one or two other guys are all that would really matter.

Losing Ivey, Williams, or Blackburn would hurt too. Maybe Tatum. Can’t see many guys improving their situation.

Thomas leaving will only make the secondary better. Sadly I think his playing time was kept the way it was to try and get his brother to come here.

It also looks like we’ve got 2 former 4 star OL coming in which is where we need the most help.

I’m not happy with Collins and would love for changes to be made, but losing Gibbs (and potentially Sims) are the only ones that really hurt.
Honestly hoping that whoever we get as OC will be the one that retains Sims. Coach P was our QB coach right ? So now that he's gone we have an opportunity for a better coach to coach Sims

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly hoping that whoever we get as OC will be the one that retains Sims. Coach P was our QB coach right ? So now that he's gone we have an opportunity for a better coach to coach Sims
I really hope we can hold onto Sims. Losing Gibbs is terrible because he’s a generational talent.

We do have a ton of depth at RB with more 4stars coming in at that position.

If we want to have a chance to win next year, we need Sims to stay. Yates is a good guy and plays hard, but he’s not going to lead this team to win. We have no clue about Peery and I don’t want another true freshman starting.

Hoping we make a good hire at OC, but not holding my breath.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I look at these situations with a sense of a stonewall Jackson’s analogy about religion, but I think it applies here. Let’s suppose you’re right, and he leaves. Other than you being “correct” about a take before it happens, how is this good for anybody? You want a congrats for calling him leaving? This is making you look like you would rather be right than have him here. Now suppose you’re wrong and he stays…. Not only are you wrong, but you also look like you don’t care if he goes.
Ok, I’ll bite. He said be brave. I’m missing the connection here.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, unfortunately. I think it will be clear shortly that trying to keep Collins is ****ing stupid. He has lost the locker room and clearly has just figured out how to fool high school seniors into following his lead.
I don't think firing Collins would have made a difference at this point. Why would Gibbs(and those to follow) hang around for another transition?

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
The problem with your scenario is most good DCs have their system and their own scheme. I would assume CGC wants to hire a good DC, right? Gonna be fun to listen to CGC's interview with potential DC candidates. "Hey buddy, I know you had an outstanding 3-3-5 defense at School X that was one of the top defenses in your conference, but I would like you to continue our 4-2-5 Effort Based system here that gave us a sterling product...."

Look at the DCs under CPJ: Wommack, Groh, Roof, Woody. All of them had different schemes. CPJ didn't dictate what scheme they could run.

This is on top of the fact that it's probably well known if CGC doesn't turn it around in 2022, he's out the door along with probably every coach on the staff. So you're basically telling a DC that he needs to change what made him successful in the first, while he's essentially coaching for his job the following season.

Now, I totally agree that coaching individual players and position groups has a lot to do with the success of the overall scheme. That is part and parcel with hiring a good DC, though, and part of hiring a good DC is running what made them successfull, not running something they're not well versed at. That's a recipe for failure.

Of course, CGC may pull a rabit out of a hat and find a DC that runs a similar "4-2-5 effort based" system. That would be akin to hiring only a head coach that has ties to GT and has relationships with coaches the AD has worked with. That's not going too well for us, is it?

Now formations are not the same thing as scheme. Not all 3-3-4 defenses, 4-4-3 defenses, 3-4-4 defenses, 4-2-5 defenses, etc. use the same scheme. Scheme and formations are not the same thing.

Right now, I'd take a 4-2-5 cheeseburger defense from Five Guys over our 4-2-5 "effort based" defense. At least I'll leave full, and not with an empty feeling of disgust. (Yes, that was a cheap shot at our defense)
I take issue with the statement that CPJ did not dictate the DCs schemes. He did by hiring men that ran particular schemes.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t believe that. Gibbs has reportedly turned down NIL deals because he did not want to set himself apart from the other players. I think it’s way more about winning and atmosphere. But, I have no first hand knowledge. Assuming it’s money, however, is demeaning the young man unless you have proof.
Not demeaning to him in any way. I would certainly do it for money if I were him. RBs in the NFL get screwed when it comes to contracts. They need to get paid as soon as possible. I'm a big fan and will root for him wherever he ends up