Top 50 GA GT signees

Comparing Tech with Stanford should be bannable. It’s such an old and dumb comparison.

Their players major in the same exact things that our players major in at a Program that is just as elite if not more elite academically than GT

My guess is that the OF:TS folks don't want to have their comments routinely impeached by the "Stanford & ND example"

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Their players major in the same exact things that our players major in at a Program that is just as elite if not more elite academically than GT

My guess is that the OF:TS folks don't want to have their comments routinely impeached by the "Stanford & ND example"

PJ's not here after the 26th, what are you going to whine about then?

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck

When was the last time a GT S/A graduated in " communication" ," honors in the arts" " African studies"" art practice" " art history", " creative writing" . " comparative studies in race and ethnicity","dance"," human rights". Its goes on and on and on and on... Just goggle it. This is so freeking old. The 3 schools are NOTHING alike.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Of the academically elite schools that play D1 Football... The peer groups should be as follows:

Privates with high admission standards but good curriculum:
Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy, Rice, Notre Dame

Privates/publics with good reputation but limited to no standards with regard to athletes: Cal, USC, Michigan, Texas, etc.

Service academies: No explanation needed

A bit easier to get in (for athletes and the “regular public”) than the top group, public, but hamstrung by limited curriculum: GT

There’s really no perfect comp for Tech to treat as a peer (for better or worse).

slugboy

Staff member

LibertyTurns

Banned
I will say they hide behind the wall of being a private school. There are no FOIA or state rules to play by like at GT. They can say whatever they want & there is no way to verify. PAC-12/ left coast football is very different.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That’s a fantastic article. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed. A lot of things stand out. This one is big to me:
Stanford football succeeded by its working with the admissions office. While academic requirements did restrict Stanford’s pool of potential recruits
It would be interesting to see if CGC can get the admissions to help. He believes he can recruit here, and I think having the positive attitude is going to help more than anything else.

This article says academics does limit the pool. Anyone who argues otherwise has their head in the clouds. Stanford currently outspends us in football, maybe we can cover that gap too.

Privates/publics with good reputation but limited to no standards with regard to athletes: Cal, USC, Michigan, Texas, etc.

C'mon dude, "no standards with regards to Athletes"

That comment is reckless as heck and patently false

I read the article, I know Cal tried to take a quickie approach to win games, but over the long haul, Cal does have high admission Standards for Athletes relative to the P5 in general

Recently we had no problem transferring in players from UGA and USC

LibertyTurns

Banned
Agreed. A lot of things stand out. This one is big to me:

It would be interesting to see if CGC can get the admissions to help. He believes he can recruit here, and I think having the positive attitude is going to help more than anything else.

This article says academics does limit the pool. Anyone who argues otherwise has their head in the clouds. Stanford currently outspends us in football, maybe we can cover that gap too.
Yes, they’re restrictive but read the article. They guide the potential recruits thru the admissions process. Where the recruits fall short academically, they work around it. No they don’t take the village idiots that can’t read or write, but not every athlete is majoring in astrophysics.

Stanford deals with exceptions in every major. Sometimes being the #1 tuba player in the universe gets you in despite some marginal academics, sometimes it’s significant social out reach and community service, maybe it’s a stellar chess player or someone that possesses phenomenal culinary skills. They love the “kid with a story” and pride themselves on diversity. Recommendations are huge. Not all admitted are 5.0 GPA, Valedictorian, School President, research rocket scientists like everyone thinks & neither are the football players.

Animal02

Banned

More delusion from the troll. No Communication degree at Tech.....more proof you are clueless.

Graphics21.jpg

Notice the text that goes with the SE - USA , talks about how Stanford makes a concerted effort to emphasize GA HS FB

Yet many fonts on the board claim we can't recruit local and need to go national

Lots of false mythology from GT Fans that takes on a life of itself after it gets repeated so many times

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Yes, they’re restrictive but read the article. They guide the potential recruits thru the admissions process. Where the recruits fall short academically, they work around it. No they don’t take the village idiots that can’t read or write, but not every athlete is majoring in astrophysics.

Stanford deals with exceptions in every major. Sometimes being the #1 tuba player in the universe gets you in despite some marginal academics, sometimes it’s significant social out reach and community service, maybe it’s a stellar chess player or someone that possesses phenomenal culinary skills. They love the “kid with a story” and pride themselves on diversity. Recommendations are huge. Not all admitted are 5.0 GPA, Valedictorian, School President, research rocket scientists like everyone thinks & neither are the football players.
Yeah I read it and that’s where my quote came from. I really like their model of being a part of the process the whole way. I know we do that at tech too by making sure we get kids taking the right classes early on in high school. I do know Stanford makes exception like you said regarding “if you are the best tuba player in the world”. I wish GT could make similar concessions unilaterally. From the article it sounds like Stanford admissions may work with the team quite a bit, I wonder how much assistance our admissions gives us?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Do you mean "lack of production" from our recruiters, or "lack of production" from the top 50 recruits we got?

I'd say ASA and AJ Gray were great, and so was Jemea. But I get your point that our hit rate wasn't what you'd want it to be.

I agree with you about losing the holdover coaches. For example, Kelly did a great job of getting DBs ready for the next level and improving their skills. As a high schooler, you could look at his results and say "I want to learn from that guy". We really need to develop the players that we get better than we have been lately.

I think he is talking about "lack of production" from our Top 50 recruits especially defensive linemen. A lot of misses on that list and but also a few really good players that maxed out their ability. I am thinking of Jemea Thomas, Uzzi (a fine offensive lineman for us from DeKalb County I think), ASA, Izzan Cross, ( a rare productive defensive lineman from that group), DJ White and Chris Milton both of which had excellent careers here as DBs. Some good players but the theme is always not enough which explains why we tread such a fine line seemingly all the time. To only get one or two Top 50 players from the Peach State is a surefire road to irrelevance. Must do better and soon.