Top 50 GA GT signees

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
That doesn’t mean the course load is any more or less difficult.

C'mon really? Have you looked at the non stem majors at Stanford? No they are not the phony majors that UNCheat had their SAs in but there are a large number of majors that would be considered easier than the majors offered at Tech merely by virtue of the courses needed for such majors.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you all need to read up on what has been going on at The Farm? I believe there’s 2 of us on here that have graduated from both. It’s neither “they take anyone they want” or “you have to be a rocket scientist to get in”.

https://www.stanforddaily.com/the-g...on-and-the-redefinition-of-stanford-football/
This is a very interesting and useful article. It shows exactly the kind of sustained, uniform, strategic, and well-funded effort that we need at Tech to make our recruiting more effective and successful. The contrast between this approach and the kind of pimply hyperbole ("We need enthusiasm! We should have young, energetic coaches! Recruiting will pick up then!") that has recently been in evidence here is stark. We have some additional constraints that Stanford doesn't, but with this kind of effort those could be finessed. Provided we can get the kind of cooperation with the admissions people (and the faculty) they have out West, that is. Given the program's graduation rates, that shouldn't be that big a stretch.

Personally, I'm pretty sure that this is what is going on behind the scenes at the Edge right now and that it will take awhile and, again, a lot of money and effort to make it work. What I also hope is that Coach has someone like Armstrong in mind to run our recruiting. It would sure help if that is true.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
and all have to take the " stem core" classes without a huge list of lib electives to help the ole GPA. Stanford and ND are great schools. The three schools are just different.

I was a recruiter for Exxon and we s ed nt for top guys - GPA = Dean's list. I hired a tech ME w a 2.7gpa and he smoked the lsu, texas am, ou guys. A gt football player w a good GPA is money.

Any idea why we have absolute stxxxxxxd hate with while we let uga skate at 53% grad rate with easier crib courses.?? Wierd.

Do we play Standford- no.
Does uga run the state? Yes

Is it any wonder why uga has such a large recruiting class each year with the churn 53% grad rate gives?
Kid leaves or cant cut it at uga BRING IN ANOTHER BATCH off the GA 50. That's fewer for us? ????

I am damn proud of our graduate rate of 86%.
1. Dont know if I would consider accepting a 10 -15% drop as we try to get more competitive on the GA 50. Not sure that's the right way because we our high grad rate is a recruiting plus. Probably will drop to what we were 2 years ago =75%.

2. Its a helluva sales pitch = come to gt and u have a 33% better chance of getting a degree and it's a great degree.

3. Our big chance to improve is BETTER position coaches and 3-4* guys that COME TO TECH AND BUILD BODIES AND TOUGHNESS OVER 5 YEARS.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The thing about graduation rates are they're only based on graduating in 6 years, not whether they actually graduate.
I am sure the kids must stay on schedule as well.

As I see it today the 2011 or 12 number at 86%, means 86% of the traunch that started then has graduated.

Check out the NCAA grad rate site. I asked AE about it. Maybe he will give some data on this. He s good at stats

Are u happy w 86% . We have been getting better by 5 % each year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think the graduation rate should probably mirror the undergraduate population graduation rate (or be better). I'm not sure where I think those that go Pro in their sport and are highly compensated for enough years should be counted.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The thing about graduation rates are they're only based on graduating in 6 years, not whether they actually graduate.
The only reason a mutt returns to muttville is to take out the trash, mow the lawn or run the concession stand. They’re certainly not coming back to take a third whack at Arithmatic or Spelling. You can change the metric to 50 years & their APR won’t get any better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Should I change the title of the thread to “Curriculum at Stanford”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eh, why? This thread will probably evolve (or devolve?) over the next few days into CPJ bashing, CGC bashing, uniform colors,then the inevitable thread locking.

Everyone knows thread titles are just suggestions anyhow. :)

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We literally had a former SA post on this very board that with a modicum of effort it is not hard for an SA to get a degree and yet these conversations go on and on.

School is not the same for athletes as it was for regular students. Not at Tech, not at UGA, not at Vanderbilt, not at Stanford, not at Harvard.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A little thread cross-fertilization. If Coach had kept McCollum, he could have made him his Armstrong (see the article above) and been the front man for the recruiting effort. I get the feeling - but we'll see - that he sees himself in that role and that's one reason he didn't keep Andy, despite his obvious recruiting chops. That is too bad. It is one more thing for Coach's plate that he may find himself unable to give the attention it deserves. Mind, I'm sure he thinks he can do this. But what Tech is gearing up for in recruiting is an effort that calls for a separate job. Again, we'll see if Coach realizes that when the new staff is named.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
We literally had a former SA post on this very board that with a modicum of effort it is not hard for an SA to get a degree and yet these conversations go on and on.

School is not the same for athletes as it was for regular students. Not at Tech, not at UGA, not at Vanderbilt, not at Stanford, not at Harvard.

It’s doable, if you come from an environment that values education. Many of these athletes don’t.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do you mean "lack of production" from our recruiters, or "lack of production" from the top 50 recruits we got?

I'd say ASA and AJ Gray were great, and so was Jemea. But I get your point that our hit rate wasn't what you'd want it to be.

I agree with you about losing the holdover coaches. For example, Kelly did a great job of getting DBs ready for the next level and improving their skills. As a high schooler, you could look at his results and say "I want to learn from that guy". We really need to develop the players that we get better than we have been lately.

They were solid, not great. We were fortunate to have them.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
How did TX do after that?
Didn't they go the route of younger, enthusiastic, good recruiter ? Didn't we do the same with CJP ? People really need to digest takethepoints' post above.

Personally, I'm more optimistic about CGC than what happened at Texas or with CJP, but again, a supportive Admin IS the key. Even the all important $ won't flow without it.