Top 50 GA GT signees

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I think some setting themselves hoping CGC will bring in consistent Top 25 classes simply bc of how to rankings are down. I’ll explain if need be, but there is an untapped market GT is primed to benefit from that is signing 6-8 Top 50 players from GA PER recruiting cycle. More often than not, Ga top 50 players are high 5.7 3 star recruits

Here is our Top 50 signees since ‘11:
Top 50 GA GT signees

19- 0. Hoping Jamious become that one
18- 1 Graham
17- 1 Askew
16- 1- Gantt
15- 3- ASA, Cooksey, AJ Gray
14- 2- CJ Leggett, Andrew Marshal
13- 1 Shamire
12- 3- DJ White, Kallon, Gamble
11- 2 JaBari Hunts-Days Chris Milton
10- 4- Anthony Williams BJ Bostic Ryan Ayers Denzel McCoy
09- 6- Izaan Cross, JC Lanier, Rod Sweeting, Antonio Foster, Jemea Thomas, Emmanuel Dieke
08-3- Uzzi, Steven Sylvestor, Jaybo Shaw

A few takeaways from this:
Interesting that when all the holdover assistants left, so did the top 50 recruits

The lack of production from this group is pretty astounding

Consecutive multiple Top 50 signees led to an Orange Bowl win

So how many do you think we need to sign for us to be successful and compete for the ACC and Orange Bowl?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
It's an interesting question - I don't think anyone would disagree we could/should be recruiting our home state better. Looking at the 2019 class in Georgia, here is the breakdown of where these kids have committed/signed.

Auburn 7
Georgia 5
Tennessee 5
Clemson 4
Michigan 3
Notre Dame 3
Alabama 3
FSU 3
Undecided 3
Texas 2
Ohio State 2
Florida 2
Arkansas 2
Texas A&M 2
Missouri 1
Nebraska 1
Minnesota 1
NC State 1

There are no doubt heavy hitters on this list, but it's going to be important for GC to start fighting back. I think 4-6 kids out of the state per year is probably a realistic expectation, with the opportunity to grow that number with increased budget, staff, success on the field, etc.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think it's more, but also higher quality, difference makers. 3-4 but with some of those being Top 20 and at positions of need.

Thanks for the research

The trend that I see is that the longer TPR was around the less Top50 players in Ga we signed, it was as if the word got around to HS Coaches and the recruits themselves that GT ain't the place to be

I'm confident that Coach G can win over the HS HCs and then follow that up by winning in the Recruits living rooms

BTW according to 247 for the 2019 Recruiting class Ga HS FB had 39 players rated 4* or 5*, so that means that roughly 80% of that Top50 is 4* or higher, so your 3* avg is a little low

Of that 39, TPR offered 26 of them so that means that TPR thought that .666 of the top39 players in GA would qualify for GT, we didn't use Pro-Style QBs and TEs so theoretically 28 of the Top39 could have been Academic Qualifiers for GT according to the offers made by TPR

If you extrapolate that .666 over the Top100 in Ga HSs, that means that 66 of the Top 100 players in Ga likely qualify for GT FB schollies according to the behavior of TPR that did so well at APR & GR

Now that we are recruiting pro-style QBs & TEs, if Ga HS FB is putting out 65 to 80 Academic Qualifiers for GT each year, then I'm confident that Coach G will get GT's fair share and put an end to this Clemson\Bama\UGa domination bullcrap

On an unrelated topic, looking at the 247 Composite GA HS player ratings for 2019, no longer should we be looking at the Top100, HS FB in Ga is so good now that the Top150 is also in play, I saw a lot of recruits from 101 to 150 and lower that are gonna outplay their ratings coming out of HS and will do very well on the P5 level

Good research

I see you mentioned lack of production

No one knows how Teens will grow into men, especially under the pressure of P5 CFB, that's why you can't just be happy 3-5 four* guys, you gotta get em' in bunches, recruits have a high spoilage rate, they don't all pan out

In this 2019 class Stanford got eight 4* guys , while ND got sixteen 4* guys (don't know if any are from GA though)

I'm guessing that 100% of them are academic qualifiers for GT

The players are out there we have to convince them to come to GT

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I hope we keep looking at foreign and national talent too. Atlanta and Georgia Tech are unique in comparison to the state at large, and can attract a more diverse student-athlete. Women's hoops is using this.

slugboy

Staff member
Do you mean "lack of production" from our recruiters, or "lack of production" from the top 50 recruits we got?

I'd say ASA and AJ Gray were great, and so was Jemea. But I get your point that our hit rate wasn't what you'd want it to be.

I agree with you about losing the holdover coaches. For example, Kelly did a great job of getting DBs ready for the next level and improving their skills. As a high schooler, you could look at his results and say "I want to learn from that guy". We really need to develop the players that we get better than we have been lately.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I see you mentioned lack of production

No one knows how Teens will grow into men, especially under the pressure of P5 CFB, that's why you can't just be happy 3-5 four* guys, you gotta get em' in bunches, recruits have a high spoilage rate, they don't all pan out

In this 2019 class Stanford got eight 4* guys , while ND got sixteen 4* guys (don't know if any are from GA though)

I'm guessing that 100% of them are academic qualifiers for GT

The players are out there we have to convince them to come to GT
Right. We recruited the Love kid from Stanford, and he was from North Carolina. I'm pretty sure he could have made it academically at GT.

LibertyTurns

Banned
How the hell is Tennessee still able to recruit? They haven’t been relevant since Fat Phil trolled the sidelines and at my age I can’t even remember how many pieces of cheesecake ago that was. Literally has the be thousands.

Missouri, Minnesota and the Wolfcrack? There’s 3 we should just walk in and take away. 4-5 a year looks to be the sweet spot.

MikeJacket1967

Helluva Engineer
How the hell is Tennessee still able to recruit? They haven’t been relevant since Fat Phil trolled the sidelines and at my age I can’t even remember how many pieces of cheesecake ago that was. Literally has the be thousands.

Missouri, Minnesota and the Wolfcrack? There’s 3 we should just walk in and take away. 4-5 a year looks to be the sweet spot.
Jeremy Pruitt and his staff are great recruiters;)

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow

Minnesota has been attracting a small number of Georgia kids since Coach Mason took over the program in 1997. Really picked up with Coach Jerry Kill from 2011-2015. Although not a top-50 our two senior RBs...both of whom got injured and redshirted this year...are from Georgia. Coach Row The Boat is continuing the trend with three Georgia recruits this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think some setting themselves hoping CGC will bring in consistent Top 25 classes simply bc of how to rankings are down. I’ll explain if need be, but there is an untapped market GT is primed to benefit from that is signing 6-8 Top 50 players from GA PER recruiting cycle. More often than not, Ga top 50 players are high 5.7 3 star recruits

Here is our Top 50 signees since ‘11:
Top 50 GA GT signees

19- 0. Hoping Jamious become that one
18- 1 Graham
17- 1 Askew
16- 1- Gantt
15- 3- ASA, Cooksey, AJ Gray
14- 2- CJ Leggett, Andrew Marshal
13- 1 Shamire
12- 3- DJ White, Kallon, Gamble
11- 2 JaBari Hunts-Days Chris Milton
10- 4- Anthony Williams BJ Bostic Ryan Ayers Denzel McCoy
09- 6- Izaan Cross, JC Lanier, Rod Sweeting, Antonio Foster, Jemea Thomas, Emmanuel Dieke
08-3- Uzzi, Steven Sylvestor, Jaybo Shaw

A few takeaways from this:
Interesting that when all the holdover assistants left, so did the top 50 recruits

The lack of production from this group is pretty astounding

Consecutive multiple Top 50 signees led to an Orange Bowl win

So how many do you think we need to sign for us to be successful and compete for the ACC and Orange Bowl?
I’d like to see around 7-8 a year. I honestly think we can get top 25 in recruiting on a consistent basis, with the right help of funding, staff ect. Give me 7-8 top 50 Ga players and 5-8 4 stars, maybe some 5 stars every once in a while and I will be happy, as long as we win lol. Do you think we can reach that top 25 mark on a consistent basis?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
IB
Thanks for the quality thread that presents specifics and has a conclusion and asks for comments.
Also thanks to those who have posted for adding specific info as they make comments .

The first few years we were gettingc3 -5 verses the last where we were getting 1 ish.

I thought to point out that with a new Coach and 08 gt over uga game and orange bowl , there would be lots of buzz that could have impacted recruiting.
Then I thought of 14 and the gt win over uga and the orange bowl and I saw no impact on the recruiting.

As to the point of needing to be a player in Georgia, I think that's a given.

However , Andy told me Gt has to recruit at private schools and further away to find the academic players.

Earlier I worked w Todd Spencer in 09 to try to get Gt to offer 2 texas hs players my son coached ( both were smart but only got form letters of interest so they went on to Baylor and Pudue). Todd said "we have to win in Ga before w come to Tx".

Your point about the assistant coaches is imo - likely to be true.
(My engineering company made recruiting clients ( jobs ) as #1 priority. We only had 1 sales type who worked for me. We made the senior project directors responsible for getting and completing their jobs. Once a month I conducted meeting on business development that discussed known future jobs and general future bd opportunities. It was chaired by the owner who I had I met with before the meeting so most of issues were focused. The owner agreed that a director that could communicate to get a job was not likely to be able to hire and train engineers etc. The senior directors were handsomely(!) bonused on the successful completion of their project . We won major projects w no sales men going around to build relationships. We had guys like AE s dad be front and center during pre bids.

I think with GC will be the OWNER of the recruiting and demand that the position coaches get top recruits.
Going to be all about Attack - recruiting , player development, preparations, game plan, and execution.

I wonder if Pelton would have been a different person under an attack mentality. He seemed to get it late in his time here.

Answer - 2-3 would be good by year 2 but then we need to add 1 in top 25.

Note SEC signed 14 5* and rest of conferences got 10. WE WON'T BE GETTING THESE TYPES TILL W GET PERFORMANCE ON THE FIELD.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I’d like to see around 7-8 a year. I honestly think we can get top 25 in recruiting on a consistent basis, with the right help of funding, staff ect. Give me 7-8 top 50 Ga players and 5-8 4 stars, maybe some 5 stars every once in a while and I will be happy, as long as we win lol. Do you think we can reach that top 25 mark on a consistent basis?
It will be a 'build it and they will come thing', but yes. I think that's a good assessment of our potential. With Stanford, Andrew Luck was a big difference maker as a recruit. They had seasons of 12 and 11 wins his last two years, and won 12 the year after he left. Before him, they had 6 straight losing seasons going back to 2003. If I'm CGC recruiting Justin Fields as a transfer or any other 5 star prospect, I try to sell him on being our Andrew Luck.

Before him, their recruiting classes were 50ish, like ours. While he was there, they were 20-25 in recruiting. In 2012, they had the 5th ranked recruiting class and were off to the races as a program.

I know people hate for us to be compared to Stanford, and please don't respond by nitpicking me over fine points about academics. We are similar in a broader sense, and it wouldn't take a massive increase in funding for us to spend at their level.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I’d like to see around 7-8 a year. I honestly think we can get top 25 in recruiting on a consistent basis, with the right help of funding, staff ect. Give me 7-8 top 50 Ga players and 5-8 4 stars, maybe some 5 stars every once in a while and I will be happy, as long as we win lol. Do you think we can reach that top 25 mark on a consistent basis?[/QUOT
Man, 7-8 mean CGC is getting around 5 4* per cycle that would go a long way cementing us as perennial Coastal favorites

Animal02

Banned
It will be a 'build it and they will come thing', but yes. I think that's a good assessment of our potential. With Stanford, Andrew Luck was a big difference maker as a recruit. They had seasons of 12 and 11 wins his last two years, and won 12 the year after he left. Before him, they had 6 straight losing seasons going back to 2003. If I'm CGC recruiting Justin Fields as a transfer or any other 5 star prospect, I try to sell him on being our Andrew Luck.

Before him, their recruiting classes were 50ish, like ours. While he was there, they were 20-25 in recruiting. In 2012, they had the 5th ranked recruiting class and were off to the races as a program.

I know people hate for us to be compared to Stanford, and please don't respond by nitpicking me over fine points about academics. We are similar in a broader sense, and it wouldn't take a massive increase in funding for us to spend at their level.
We are NOT similar in a broad sense no more than we are similar to UGA in a "broad sense". :rolleyes: