Top 50 GA GT signees

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Are there any top 50 GA 2020 targets we have a realistic shot at? I assume the biggest jump in our recruiting will be in 2021 due to taking time to build up rapport with kids and parents, but I am sure CGC is going to bust it to get some players in the next class.

They are also a private institution who doesn’t have to disclose any info on their admissions. They play by an entirely different set of rules

Lou Young

Jerry Attaouchou (sp?)

KeShun Freeman

All these guys were 4 year starters at GT recruited by TPR

All those guys above were rejected by Stanford, and then GT FB snapped them up in a NY minute - accepted with no hesitation

The WR from Savannah - Demetris Roberson , GT fans were waiting with baited breath for Stanford to reject him so he could get accepted to GT quickly & with no issues

Fact is there's no telling how bad GT FB would have been under TPR if we didn't have Stanford rejects to improve our talent level

They require 2 passed AP classes before an OV is scheduled, recruiting at Stanford is exponentially harder than it is at GT

In the future GT fans need to keep Stanford's name outta their mouths

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Lou Young

Jerry Attaouchou (sp?)

KeShun Freeman

All these guys were 4 year starters at GT recruited by TPR

All those guys above were rejected by Stanford, and then GT FB snapped them up in a NY minute - accepted with no hesitation

The WR from Savannah - Demetris Roberson , GT fans were waiting with baited breath for Stanford to reject him so he could get accepted to GT quickly & with no issues

Fact is there's no telling how bad GT FB would have been under TPR if we didn't have Stanford rejects to improve our talent level

They require 2 passed AP classes before an OV is scheduled, recruiting at Stanford is exponentially harder than it is at GT

In the future GT fans need to keep Stanford's name outta their mouths

Is your sole purpose in life to crap all over PJ and anyone associated with him or his teams? You are quite the little troll and I'm sure you get your jollies puffing out your your little birdie chest now that PJ is gone.

Is your sole purpose in life to crap all over PJ and anyone associated with him or his teams? You are quite the little troll and I'm sure you get your jollies puffing out your your little birdie chest now that PJ is gone.

I apologize for any confusion

Having observed the various GT FB msg boards from afar, I noticed that they seem to be a closed society, and within that closed society I noticed that a lot of comments would be grossly erroneous and the masses in that closed society would all buy in to erroneous opinions and pretty soon the false info would take on a mythical life on its own

My sole purpose in life has nothing to do with TPR

But while participating on this msg board, I will try to add perspective & truthful balance to what I see and read

In the topic above I noticed the tired and overused "Stanford & ND are private and they can get away with lesser standards than GT and that's why they win more than us"

I merely replied to show the truth, which is that Stanford has a much tougher time recruiting that GT has ever had requiring, 2 AP classes passed with 3 on the exam, before an OV -- reqs like this would shut down GT FB completely, yet Stanford has found a formula that has worked for going on a dozen yrs

We should be paying attention to their "best practices" and tweaking it to use them to GT's advantage, not belittling Stanford and spreading misinformation about their recruiting

Hoping this post clarifies things for the OF:TS crowd that has become increasingly thin skinned since TPR up & quit

Thanks in advance for your understanding

Go get em' Coach G

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Having observed the various GT FB msg boards from afar, I noticed that they seem to be a closed society, and within that closed society I noticed that a lot of comments would be grossly erroneous and the masses in that closed society would all buy in to erroneous opinions and pretty soon the false info would take on a mythical life on its own

But while participating on this msg board, I will try to add perspective & truthful balance to what I see and read

In the topic above I noticed the tired and overused "Stanford & ND are private and they can get away with lesser standards than GT and that why they win more than us"

I merely replied to show the truth, which is that Stanford has a much tougher time recruiting that GT has ever had requiring 2 AP classes passed with 3 on the exam before an OV would in effect shut down GT FB completely, yet Stanford has found a formula that has worked for going on a dozen yrs

We should be paying attention to their "best practices" and tweaking it to use them to GT's advantage, not belittling Stanford and spreading misinformation about their recruiting

Hoping this post clarifies things for the OF:TS crowd that has become increasingly thin skinned since TPR up & quit

Go get em' Coach G

"But while participating on this msg board, I will try to add perspective & truthful balance to what I see and read"

This may be the funniest effing thing I've read in a long while! You wouldn't know perspective and truthful balance if it bit you in the a**. Go find yourself someplace else to spew your bulls**t, folks on here are way beyond buying what you're dropping.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

In the topic above I noticed the tired and overused "Stanford & ND are private and they can get away with lesser standards than GT and that's why they win more than us"

I merely replied to show the truth, which is that Stanford has a much tougher time recruiting that GT has ever had requiring, 2 AP classes passed with 3 on the exam, before an OV -- reqs like this would shut down GT FB completely, yet Stanford has found a formula that has worked for going on a dozen yrs

Go get em' Coach G
I wonder what in the hades some people on here think happened in 2007 in regards to that class? I mean if we just can't, can't ever recruit in the Top 20, did our Universe pass through some alternate dimension that warped reality for a year?

herb

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what in the hades some people on here think happened in 2007 in regards to that class? I mean if we just can't, can't ever recruit in the Top 20, did our Universe pass through some alternate dimension that warped reality for a year?

I may have read NtTom wrong, but I got out of it that he was saying that Stanford has much more stringent admission requirements (once they get them in, it would appear they don’t have the same issues we have, ie limited majors etc. ) and maybe we could learn some things from them. Not that we couldn’t be successful

slugboy

Staff member
I may have read NtTom wrong, but I got out of it that he was saying that Stanford has much more stringent admission requirements (once they get them in, it would appear they don’t have the same issues we have, ie limited majors etc. ) and maybe we could learn some things from them. Not that we couldn’t be successful

Stanford’s base admission standards (for non athletes) is higher than ours. However, they can be more flexible admitting students than we can.

That we’ve admitted students that Stanford hasn’t is anecdotal evidence that they’ve been more strict on athlete admissions in a couple of cases, but there’s no reason with their curriculum that they can’t admit players that couldn’t get in here.

I would expect that they have admitted players who can’t get in here, just not the examples cited. I don’t feel the desire to sift through years of recruiting information to prove that, and I don’t think it would be that valuable if I did.

If a 5* wants to go to Stanford, I’m sure they’ll find a way to admit them if they wouldn’t qualify normally.

This thread is more interesting if we discuss Tech than if we discuss Stanford or Clemson or other schools. No need to make those comparisons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

herb

Helluva Engineer
If a 5* wants to go to Stanford, I’m sure they’ll find a way to admit them if they wouldn’t qualify normally.

The one case that was really visible here was Robertson. Based on everything that was public (granted that may not have been the whole story) he really wanted to go to Stanford but could not get approved. I think we can all agree that every school would have taken him to play football if they could?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Stanford’s base admission standards (for non athletes) is higher than ours. However, they can be more flexible admitting students than we can.

That we’ve admitted students that Stanford hasn’t is anecdotal evidence that they’ve been more strict on athlete admissions in a couple of cases, but there’s no reason with their curriculum that they can’t admit players that couldn’t get in here.

I would expect that they have admitted players who can’t get in here, just not the examples cited. I don’t feel the desire to sift through years of recruiting information to prove that, and I don’t think it would be that valuable if I did.

This thread is more interesting if we discuss Tech than if we discuss Stanford or Clemson or other schools. No need to make those comparisons.

You can’t argue with Stanford’s prowess in talent evaluation. They put the money & the effort into it and it pays great dividends. They correctly evaluated Robertson & waved off for reasons that were not apparent at the time to all those drooling over this kid, but 3 years down the road they nailed it. He may have extreme physical abilities but there’s something amiss that’s keeping him down. Stanford identified those negative attributes when others did not & waved off. He’s getting a second chance in muttville. I’m no expert but have there ever been any recycled “damaged goods” success stories coming out of that ****hole ever? I really feel sorry for the kid. He should have taken his smarts, gone to GT or an Ivy where he could have played to both of his strengths plus had the disciplinary structure surrounding him. Sadly, nobody knew how to properly advocate & guide him. He'll likely end up in the trash heap of barking idiots that could have been but never will be.

slugboy

Staff member
The one case that was really visible here was Robertson. Based on everything that was public (granted that may not have been the whole story) he really wanted to go to Stanford but could not get approved. I think we can all agree that every school would have taken him to play football if they could?

Assuming you mean Demetris Robertson, who went to Cal Berkeley and transferred to UGA. The admission requirements aren’t that different between Cal and Stanford.

He was a 5* rated receiver. I don’t think he lived up his billing. He has rushing stats at UGA, but I couldn’t see any receptions. He was good at Cal, but I’m not sure what to make of that.

I’m not sure Stanford turned him down—maybe so, but it’s hard to tell. He also had Notre Dame lined up. He was “choosing between Stanford, Cal, Notre Dame, and Georgia Tech” on and after signing day. He also talked with UGA and Bama.

That’s a weird story, but I’m not sure what to make of it. Had he gone to Stanford, he’d have been their highest rated recruit, but he wouldn’t have been their best. They also ended up with the #16 class without him. They’d have been top 10 if they had gotten him, but in retrospect they wouldn’t have been better, and they had no real need to make an exception for him (assuming that they didn’t, that is-there’s no way to tell).

As much as we talk about recruiting, having the staff that can evaluate players better than the recruiting services is much more important than the number of stars and the class rank. The recruiting services are probably fairly close, but I’m sure Clemson has a better eye for talent than 247 or Rivals.

If there’s a reason to build up staff, it’s for finding players that fit.

If we start recruiting well and finding cohesive groups of talented players, maybe we’ll stop talking about Stanford and Cal and UNC and Duke, for football at least.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I see you mentioned lack of production

No one knows how Teens will grow into men, especially under the pressure of P5 CFB, that's why you can't just be happy 3-5 four* guys, you gotta get em' in bunches, recruits have a high spoilage rate, they don't all pan out

In this 2019 class Stanford got eight 4* guys , while ND got sixteen 4* guys (don't know if any are from GA though)

I'm guessing that 100% of them are academic qualifiers for GT

The players are out there we have to convince them to come to GT
The group of football players that you are talking about, which are by far the best players, don't represent .666 % of qualifiers for Tech---not even close. Are there exceptions---of course, but they are just that, exceptions. Realities are often sad things and the reality of the group you are referencing in GA and in the SE in general, is sad from an academic standpoint. The raw numbers for this demographic is actually shocking, much less for football players.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
It will be a 'build it and they will come thing', but yes. I think that's a good assessment of our potential. With Stanford, Andrew Luck was a big difference maker as a recruit. They had seasons of 12 and 11 wins his last two years, and won 12 the year after he left. Before him, they had 6 straight losing seasons going back to 2003. If I'm CGC recruiting Justin Fields as a transfer or any other 5 star prospect, I try to sell him on being our Andrew Luck.

Before him, their recruiting classes were 50ish, like ours. While he was there, they were 20-25 in recruiting. In 2012, they had the 5th ranked recruiting class and were off to the races as a program.

I know people hate for us to be compared to Stanford, and please don't respond by nitpicking me over fine points about academics. We are similar in a broader sense, and it wouldn't take a massive increase in funding for us to spend at their level.
Stanford also changed their academic angle to recruiting as well which helped a lot.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
but there’s no reason with their curriculum that they can’t admit players that couldn’t get in here.

If a 5* wants to go to Stanford, I’m sure they’ll find a way to admit them if they wouldn’t qualify
I'm sorry, but you are purely speculating, and have no proof this happens. I guarantee you guys like Luck, Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love can get into Tech, and they're the kind of recruits we need to target. It's time to lay down the crutches and stop looking for excuses. We have a coach now that isn't going to make them, and believes he can take our program to a higher level. I for one believe he's right.

Stanford also changed their academic angle to recruiting as well which helped a lot.

This has never been proven, yet it is oft repeated by GT fans on various msg boards

They simply worked harder and scoured the Country and did the things that GT under TPR refused to do, or wasn't able to do, due to his unappealing offense

Harbaugh left a legacy of no excuses, work your *** off and let the chips fall where they may, and Stanford has been living up to that ever since