TM leaves practice to attend class.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yes, GT is different. I hope, even if Gold1 shows me on a high horse, that we will always be different. Playing in division 1 football as the only STEM school, except the military academies, makes us special and different. When we succeed in football, it will be in spite of many disadvantages that we place on ourselves, and I am o.k. with that. I am also o.k. with others having a different opinion.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, GT is different. I hope, even if Gold1 shows me on a high horse, that we will always be different. Playing in division 1 football as the only STEM school, except the military academies, makes us special and different. When we succeed in football, it will be in spite of many disadvantages that we place on ourselves, and I am o.k. with that. I am also o.k. with others having a different opinion.

That's our brand - we are a real school, with high rigor, high integrity, and tough entry standards. If we lose that, we've lost everything.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This is why you can't be mad that we don't always compete on that same level. I don't like it but it is what it is.

Unless and until we change our academic standards, there is a ceiling on what we can consistently be as a program.

Most folks who've been around long kinda know this. We maintain high expectations but, if we fall short, it's understood that we're swimming tied to an anvil.

Kim King thought we could be a top 25 program. I guess he didn't know much about Tech or our football program.

So many Tech fans love the academics excuse. It's a way of saying "we lose because we are better than others at academics." My response: then join the Ivy League. Compete at this level or go to one we can compete in. However, I agree with Kim King.

Academics are just another excuse. Embracing the excuse explains why seemingly the majority of posters on this board are satisfied with our current state of mediocrity and defend it with such vigor. And ultimately, our program is mediocre because the fans accept--and even embrace--mediocrity....as long as they have their excuses.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are the only P5 football STEM school.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2017/08/02/top-25-stem-colleges-2017/#30660283218e

I bet we could whip the heck out of the Colorado School of Mines football team!!! ;)

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
This reminds me of the movie "Varsity Blues".... Jon Moxon gets his acceptance letter to Brown, and his dad barely recognizes it because he wants him to focus on prep to play some rival football town that night.... Moxon is clearly disgusted that his dad cares more about him playing a football game than getting accepted into an Ivy League school.

Moral of the story..... Be Jon Moxon, not his dad.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We are the only P5 football STEM school.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/cartercoudriet/2017/08/02/top-25-stem-colleges-2017/#30660283218e

I bet we could whip the heck out of the Colorado School of Mines football team!!! ;)

Thank you for the clarification, DCS, but it sounds like you are disagreeing with me. We are both right. We are the only STEM school from a p5 conference, and we are the only STEM school playing division 1 football, except the military academies.

Either way, we are distinctly different.

PS - Cal Tech would not stand a chance against us either, or Missouri Rolla. :)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Kim King thought we could be a top 25 program. I guess he didn't know much about Tech or our football program.

So many Tech fans love the academics excuse. It's a way of saying "we lose because we are better than others at academics." My response: then join the Ivy League. Compete at this level or go to one we can compete in. However, I agree with Kim King.

Academics are just another excuse. Embracing the excuse explains why seemingly the majority of posters on this board are satisfied with our current state of mediocrity and defend it with such vigor. And ultimately, our program is mediocre because the fans accept--and even embrace--mediocrity....as long as they have their excuses.

What year was it when Kim King said this?

I mean no disrespect to King but it doesn't take much "insight" to suggest any program "could" be a top 25 program. And furthermore, I could argue that GT is a top 25 program right now. The issue is there's a significant leap from being that to being a top 10 program. The point I've made is that, in order to get to top 10, we'd have to sell our academic souls.

Also, at what point did I or anyone indicate mediocrity was acceptable?

Acknowledgment does not equate to acceptance. And fan "mood" or however you want to term it, has no influence on what kind of program we are or can become. You think if we stop following or donating they'll "get the message" and hire Saban or something? And pray tell, what TF would Saban do with the 5-7% of his roster that could get in (and stay) here? Exactly.

"Join the Ivy league" isn't an option, nor is it the best option.

If GT wants to become a top 10 program, there are things that need to happen at levels far above the athletic department and likely our President. Until that happens, as I said, we are swimming tied to an anvil.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
What year was it when Kim King said this?

I mean no disrespect to King but it doesn't take much "insight" to suggest any program "could" be a top 25 program. And furthermore, I could argue that GT is a top 25 program right now. The issue is there's a significant leap from being that to being a top 10 program. The point I've made is that, in order to get to top 10, we'd have to sell our academic souls.

Also, at what point did I or anyone indicate mediocrity was acceptable?

Acknowledgment does not equate to acceptance. And fan "mood" or however you want to term it, has no influence on what kind of program we are or can become. You think if we stop following or donating they'll "get the message" and hire Saban or something? And pray tell, what TF would Saban do with the 5-7% of his roster that could get in (and stay) here? Exactly.

"Join the Ivy league" isn't an option, nor is it the best option.

If GT wants to become a top 10 program, there are things that need to happen at levels far above the athletic department and likely our President. Until that happens, as I said, we are swimming tied to an anvil.

I am so appreciative of all of our fans, but some of them really do not understand the Institute very well. Your explanation above is about as good as it gets, "swimming tied to an anvil" - made me think of the old "drownproofing" course we all had to take in the olden days. With that said, I still want to pursue excellence in football as well as everything else the Institute chooses to do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That's our brand - we are a real school, with high rigor, high integrity, and tough entry standards. If we lose that, we've lost everything.
INSPITE OF OUR BRAND
1. We dont drop u or run u if injured - Jaylen ratcliffe .

2. We are going all in on grad rate for our football and basketball players. It has improved to about 85% but we are headed to be 100 % like ND and Standford without having lessor degrees. Our support system for the player is first class.

3. A vast majority of our players major in business administration. The gt business school is rated in top 30 in entire country.

If we cast a wide preliminary recruiting net to targeted football programs and sell - rigor, graduation certainty, great degree, we will get a lot more potential recruits.

THE KEY IS HIGH GRAD RATE!

I bet Coach and Tqm think this event is no big deal.

Go jackets

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am so appreciative of all of our fans, but some of them really do not understand the Institute very well. Your explanation above is about as good as it gets, "swimming tied to an anvil" - made me think of the old "drownproofing" course we all had to take in the olden days. With that said, I still want to pursue excellence in football as well as everything else the Institute chooses to do.

Yeah. The reality is that GT is a legacy program. We are as important to college football history as any program in the country. Recency bias will make that sound crazy but that's the reality of what we are in the pantheon of college football. To anyone who doubts that I say, "Google me, b*tch."

So I hate that we've abdicated our throne, so to speak. Some of it by choice, most of it due to the complete farce that is now known as the "student-athlete".

That cat is out of the bag at this point so I'm not sure what should/could be done to right things. As it is, I'll root for us to get back to excellence in all phases.

Milwaukee

Banned
This reminds me of the movie "Varsity Blues".... Jon Moxon gets his acceptance letter to Brown, and his dad barely recognizes it because he wants him to focus on prep to play some rival football town that night.... Moxon is clearly disgusted that his dad cares more about him playing a football game than getting accepted into an Ivy League school.

Moral of the story..... Be Jon Moxon, not his dad.

"Some rival town"? Come on man, it was Gilroy. It was a big game they needed to win. Hell, Wendell's mom even had scouts from Grambling coming in for the game. Just some rival town...my ***.

Carry on...

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly if any sidewalk fans are on the fence on becoming a fan and they read this thread I can guarantee they would be turned off by our fans and choose a different team.