TM leaves practice to attend class.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I can't tell if you're serious or not.

This is a school first, ya know. Them other dudes, they're the ones doing it wrong.
d1bf281983524bc8262efd67fb1431e9_400x400.jpeg

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
This is just silly. If everyone else is doing it the other way around why do we take pride in hurting our chances of winning by having classes conflict with practice just to be self righteous about academics? I doubt even Stanford or Duke would do this. If you are ok with things like this going on then you should give up your right to complain about performance after a loss.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is just silly. If everyone else is doing it the other way around why do we take pride in hurting our chances of winning by having classes conflict with practice just to be self righteous about academics? I doubt even Stanford or Duke would do this. If you are ok with things like this going on then you should give up your right to complain about performance after a loss.

This is why you can't be mad that we don't always compete on that same level. I don't like it but it is what it is.

Unless and until we change our academic standards, there is a ceiling on what we can consistently be as a program.

Most folks who've been around long kinda know this. We maintain high expectations but, if we fall short, it's understood that we're swimming tied to an anvil.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Nope disagree.

The kids coming through our program should understand that this is a school first kind of place. I am unwilling to agree with your premise that this hurts our chances to win games. Our coaches aren’t ignorant of the situation and I would be surprised if they didn’t move periods around to make sure we got the work in that was needed.

I am reminded of the hilarious press conference gold of Mr. Iverson

Seriously though I would clip that interview with CPJ and deliver it to every recruit’s parents. School trumps practice. That doesn’t mean the kids don’t have to put in the work, but c’mon man we have an obligation as an institute to progress and service. We have a responsibility to these young men to educate them and letting practice schedules dictate class availability is the tail wagging the dog. If other schools prefer to yield that responsibility chasing after wins, then shame on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is why you can't be mad that we don't always compete on that same level. I don't like it but it is what it is.

Unless and until we change our academic standards, there is a ceiling on what we can consistently be as a program.

Most folks who've been around long kinda know this. We maintain high expectations but, if we fall short, it's understood that we're swimming tied to an anvil.

Soapbox alert!

So I said something similar in the basketball forum in the thread about cheating and the FBI investigation, I continue to believe we have a moral obligation to educate first. I suppose I understand that makes me old fashioned and that the reality is that college athletics has morphed into development leagues for their respective sports across the board. I accept the reality of that.

I donate money and support GT because it prepared me for life in ways beyond measure. My wife and I (both graduated 2007) have had a bounty of professional successes directly tied to our education, the alumni network and our hard work. When we recruit a student athlete we implicitly promise them that same opportunity.

I am unwilling to accept that should be subjugated for the sake of sport. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to win. It doesn’t mean I don’t want the school and coaching staffs to work together to maximize value and efficiency to allow for both sides of the equation to get their due, but “school trumps practice” feels like a core axiom that we should say proudly. This is an institute of higher learning where we pride ourselves on developing the whole of a student through the Total Person Program. We either put our money where our marketing spends or we don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk