TM leaves practice to attend class.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who is involved in course scheduling, supervises academic advisement, and audits transcripts for all degree candidates in my department, I felt the need to fix your post for you.
Please proffer the course that is: 1)Required of a business administration major; 2) Only offered in the evening; 3) Only offered in the fall semester; and 4) Could not have been taken at any other time during Marshall’s tenure at Tech.

I’m curious to know why other administrations can operate strong academic and athletic programs without interference while Tech’s administration cannot.

Why can Tech not encourage, and provide the means for, full participation in academics and sports? Evidence of failure to provide an avenue for both is not a positive reflection on Tech.

Last edited:

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree we aren’t a service academy but I actually think it’s a good comparison to our core values.

Much like the academies we have a mission beyond the short term time students are at the school. We say, throughout our recruiting materials, we are looking for young men and women who are ready to change the world. Full stop.

We are looking for world class academics who want to practically apply their knowledge and experiences against the most challenging problems our world presents.

That is our mission as a school. I want a great football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, golf, etc team too but I haven’t lost focus on our priority. We create tomorrow’s leaders today.

How can any of us not rally behind that mission agnostic to the impact on our athletic scoreboards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The academies prepare their students for, and send them to, war. Let’s not compare that to a business administration degree at Tech.

The academies prepare their students for, and send them to, war. Let’s not compare that to a business administration degree at Tech.
Not all graduates of the Service Academies are sent "to war", even in wartime. But they ARE sent to perform to the best of their abilities no matter the situation. Business administration graduates are also sent to perform to the best of their abilities in their preferred line of work.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not all graduates of the Service Academies are sent "to war", even in wartime. But they ARE sent to perform to the best of their abilities no matter the situation. Business administration graduates are also sent to perform to the best of their abilities in their preferred line of work.
They are trained to protect the country. That is not comparable to a business admin degree from Tech, no matter how vague the comparison.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Agreed?

When did I?

Equally to the point, my post was intended to say we prepare our students for something more than completing an arbitrary set of classes to “get them out of the door” or even worse “keep them ‘eligible’ before the dip out to the league”.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Please proffer the course that is: 1)Required of a business administration major; 2) Only offered in the evening; 3) Only offered in the fall semester; and 4) Could not have been taken at any other time during Marshall’s tenure at Tech.

I’m curious to know why other administrations can operate strong academic and athletic programs without interference while Tech’s administration cannot.

Look at it the other way around. What time of day and which day of the week would not cause any conflict whatsoever for ANY of the 1251 undergraduates in the business school? Also, for three or four classes in a semester, what four times of day and what three days of the week would not cause any conflict whatsoever for ANY of the 1251 undergraduates in the business school?

It does stink. However would it stink less if classes conflict with childcare issues for another student? Or if it conflicts with ability to work on a senior project type assignment? Or if two required classes are offered at the same time and a senior student didn't plan ahead and take one of them his junior year? It isn't solely student athletes who have issues scheduling and coordinating classes. This isn't a case of the administration attempting to find ways to intentionally hurt athletics.

Last edited:

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed?

When did I?

Equally to the point, my post was intended to say we prepare our students for something more than completing an arbitrary set of classes to “get them out of the door” or even worse “keep them ‘eligible’ before the dip out to the league”.

You stated, “Much like the academies...” Is that not drawing on the academies for a comparison? Apologies if it wasn’t meant as a comparison.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You stated, “Much like the academies...” Is that not drawing on the academies for a comparison? Apologies if it wasn’t meant as a comparison.

Fair point. I was using them as a starting point for the comparison to say that we also expect more than “show up, play sports, go to the league”. I was making a simile to the requirements not a metaphor.

No disrespect was meant to the additional asks our country requests from Academy graduates.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Fair point. I was using them as a starting point for the comparison to say that we also expect more than “show up, play sports, go to the league”. I was making a simile to the requirements not a metaphor.

No disrespect was meant to the additional asks our country requests from Academy graduates.

Just saying, you missed an excellent opportunity to invoke the Stanford comparison and derail the entire thread. ;)

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
As someone who is involved in course scheduling, supervises academic advisement, and audits transcripts for all degree candidates in my department, I felt the need to fix your post for you.
BTW I have a feeling you’re correct, and I’m certain my original post was an overreaction. Apologies, I should not have denigrated your colleagues with little knowledge of the current academic situation at Tech.

Animal02

Banned
A lot of mothers have influence on their football playing kids. Along with recruiting football players, coaches recruit the player's parents too. If I'm a responsible parent and I read that players attend classes over football practice, then my kid is going to seriously consider GT. This article helps our recruiting efforts.
Unless you have some agent whispering in your ear that your kid is a 1st rounder as a sophomore.....then who cares about academics.......blow through a few million as a twenty something, get tossed to the street like a rotted piece of meat after a couple of years......and there is always janitorial services to fall back on.

Animal02

Banned
As a spouse of a tenured full professor, I think you left out parts regarding the availability of the particular faculty to teach the particular class, as well as the need for scheduling to maximize enrollment in said class. ;)

Animal02

Banned
If you don’t know that SA’s get priority scheduling in the first wave along with academic planners to help them more than other students then I don’t know how you feel confident to lend your uninformed opinion to the matter.

As far as I know there are only a handful of “disallowed” majors at Tech with architecture being one of them that major SA’s are not allowed in due to time conflicts.

Also other schools allow SA’s to leave early for labs etc the difference here is allowing the starters and stars to take classes that have a conflict.
Yeah, it would be tough majoring in Architecture and trying to play a sport.....with Studio taking up 12 hrs of the afternoon each week.....not to mention the all nighters needed to complete projects.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I couldn't be prouder of our institute than I am when reading articles like that.
d1bf281983524bc8262efd67fb1431e9_400x400.jpeg

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
BTW I have a feeling you’re correct, and I’m certain my original post was an overreaction. Apologies, I should not have denigrated your colleagues with little knowledge of the current academic situation at Tech.
Well, dang—my half-page of brilliantly organized, point-by-point rebuttal is now moot...:) (Truth be told, it was getting a little tldr even for me to proof-read, despite its fantastically brilliant yet humble awesomeness...)

It can be frustrating when the academic side of Tech seems to place unnecessary obstacles in front of our athletes—but that's not what's happening behind the curtain. Faculty provide every accommodation possible to student-athletes, short of giving them a free pass. (Lookin' at you, Carolina...) There are simply a LOT of issues to juggle (as pointed out just now by @Animal02), in order to sustain a degree program; it is impossible to create a four-year course sequence that won't result in scheduling problems for a significant fraction of your students.

The fact that our student-athletes sometimes have to contend with these issues—the same way that regular students do—is a good sign, in my book. I'd be more concerned if our SA's never faced the same scheduling/attendance challenges as regular students. (Lookin' at you, Carolina...oh wait; you gave sham classes to regular students too, just to cover up your sham classes for athletes...never mind.)

Animal02

Banned
Well, dang—my half-page of brilliantly organized, point-by-point rebuttal is now moot...:) (Truth be told, it was getting a little tldr even for me to proof-read, despite its fantastically brilliant yet humble awesomeness...)

It can be frustrating when the academic side of Tech seems to place unnecessary obstacles in front of our athletes—but that's not what's happening behind the curtain. Faculty provide every accommodation possible to student-athletes, short of giving them a free pass. (Lookin' at you, Carolina...) There are simply a LOT of issues to juggle (as pointed out just now by @Animal02), in order to sustain a degree program; it is impossible to create a four-year course sequence that won't result in scheduling problems for a significant fraction of your students.

The fact that our student-athletes sometimes have to contend with these issues—the same way that regular students do—is a good sign, in my book. I'd be more concerned if our SA's never faced the same scheduling/attendance challenges as regular students. (Lookin' at you, Carolina...oh wait; you gave sham classes to regular students too, just to cover up your sham classes for athletes...never mind.)

My wife coordinates a program that requires credentials instructors for certain classes. You have an adjunct leave on short notice, sometimes you can only fill it with someone teaching at night. Some classes are offered in the evening because that is when there are enough students willing to sign up for it to make it worthwhile to offer. (Her uni will cancel a class if there are only a handful registered for it) Then you have to juggle potentially two or more required classes in the smae quarter....can't offer them at the same time....etc. etc. etc. Then there are those that fall out of sequence, and you need that pre-req class in order to progress academically.....the list can go on and on.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This is just silly. If everyone else is doing it the other way around why do we take pride in hurting our chances of winning by having classes conflict with practice just to be self righteous about academics? I doubt even Stanford or Duke would do this. If you are ok with things like this going on then you should give up your right to complain about performance after a loss.

Gonna leave this here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...-12-media-day-sets-a-dangerous-precedent/amp/

Deleted member 2897

This is just silly. If everyone else is doing it the other way around why do we take pride in hurting our chances of winning by having classes conflict with practice just to be self righteous about academics? I doubt even Stanford or Duke would do this. If you are ok with things like this going on then you should give up your right to complain about performance after a loss.

Duke and Stanford aren’t Georgia Tech. Stanford flat out says they treat their athletes like special needs kids and have a wide variety of “degrees” available to them.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
No, this is a failure on the part of the administration or the individuals who handle degree planning for the students. Highly unlikely that a required course is only offered in the fall.
By the time you are a senior it is likely that the course only has 1 or 2 sections in the fall. Most of our degree programs are small enough that we only have 1 teacher for the class and they only teach it at 1 time during the week.