TM leaves practice to attend class.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The class in question was at 6PM. Is that considered an evening class? The article said that practice started at 3:45, and that TM and Will had completed 16 of 23 practice periods. How long does a practice session generally run?
I would think 6 pm is considered an evening class. As how long a practice runs a guess would be 3 to 3.5 hours I thought you can only practice 20 hours per week ( not sure this is right )

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
No, this is a failure on the part of the administration or the individuals who handle degree planning for the students. Highly unlikely that a required course is only offered in the fall.
When did you attend Tech? From 2006-2011 this was not uncommon at all for senior courses. Maybe things have changed...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I think we could turn this into an advantage, or at least more fully discover its silver lining, by expanding our recruiting scope. We need go national and identify and target talented high-school football players who want to major in STEM subjects. As the only power-5 team among the top-25 STEM schools, we could get them to come to Georgia Tech. It would take a big boost to our recruiting budget, but I think that's where we need to invest. I know I've said this before but darn, it seems to me the answer to our recruiting problems.
Actually identifying athletic smart recruits and making contacts is an inexpensive first step.

COACHES NEED TO KNOW WE ARE INTERESTED.
Gt is highly thought of outside of DAWG nation.

I am hopeful we keep increasing the recruiting budget so we can target some areas with talent.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So just curious, but Taquon is majoring is Business Admin right? Isn't that what the majority of our football players study? Seems that a big chunk of our Senior class could be leaving practice early on MWF to attend this course that is only offered at one time of day and only in the Fall semester.

Deleted member 2897

I will wait with baited breath for you to identify even 1 such person anywhere on this board.

@jacketup You said: "Embracing the excuse explains why seemingly the majority of posters on this board are satisfied with our current state of mediocrity and defend it with such vigor."

I asked for 1 such person as an example. Since you contend the majority of posters on this board are satisfied with mediocrity and defend it, why can't you show us 1 example? Just 1?

I am hoping you will come back and clarify it was just a generalization you made in your frustration that people SEEM like they're satisfied with mediocrity because they remind us often of all the challenges we have other schools don't. I am assuming that's what you meant.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
When did you attend Tech? From 2006-2011 this was not uncommon at all for senior courses. Maybe things have changed...
Yeah I was there inside the last 10 years and for the upper level major courses most were only offered Fall only/Spring only with 1 or 2 sections, especially for major specific electives. And some of them were at late times like TQM's too. I think my fluid dynamics course started at like 5 or 6 pm when I took it and there was only 1 section attendance required

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The class in question was at 6PM. Is that considered an evening class? The article said that practice started at 3:45, and that TM and Will had completed 16 of 23 practice periods. How long does a practice session generally run?

Service Academies generally have classes done by 5:00. At the USCGA, there were almost never any classes that started after 4:00.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
To me there is a clear difference between an "excuse" and a valid reason. If Tech is truly harder academically than the majority of teams they compete with, has fewer majors and hold student athletes to a higher standard etc. it would seem to me that those are valid reasons. Of course Tech should own that difference (I already think they do) and use it to sell the value of the education they provide but it seems clear to me that Tech has challenges that many of the other colleges nearby simply do not have. My son went to a private school that didn't give scholarships to athletes and competed with several schools that gave several "art" scholarships every year to exce3ptional athletes. I hated losing to those teams, and we didn't always, but there was a valid reason why our average season had less wins than theirs. No one ever wants to have a less than stellar year but not accepting valid reasons seems irrational to me. There have been a number of great suggestions on how some of the problems can be overcome and it appears we are taking some positive steps (more coaches, adidas etc) so hopefully improvement is at the door.

Correct. Just trying to make it easier for the civilians on this board. :D
I really hate to do this, but considering some of the things you have posted about me, you have it coming :D:D
No, wait a minute, I don't really hate to do this. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

d1bf281983524bc8262efd67fb1431e9_400x400-jpeg.3964

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Put it this way: Try to envision Tim Tebow in his heyday skipping SEC Media Days of because, well, school. Right or wrong, that wouldn't have happened. The need to better himself, the conference and his school would have outstripped another summer school lecture.
Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott had to know on some level this was a bad look -- his league's best player not showing for the conference's football rollout.
Love is majoring in human biology with an interest in pediatrics and stem-cell research.

That article disgusts me. This athlete is putting academics above a MEDIA DAY and the author had the audacity to claim "The need to better himself, the conference and his school would have outstripped another summer school lecture." What a ****ing clown.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: It's called "get off your high horse."

Oh I know what the meme was, I was just pointing out your misuse of the phrase "get off your high horse."

But, as you have probably shrunk a good bit with your collection of decades, even shetland ponies probably seem like high horses to you.

Can't wait to see you again in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the tailgating.

Oh I know what the meme was, I was just pointing out your misuse of the phrase "get off your high horse."

But, as you have probably shrunk a good bit with your collection of decades, even shetland ponies probably seem like high horses to you.

Can't wait to see you again in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the tailgating.
Just don't come riding in on that horse. LOL
And why was that a misuse of the term? Your remark about the "civilians on the board" came across as rather elitist, on your part. ;)